Help my name my Comany!!!!

thewireguy

I need a name for a business that specializes in low voltage wireing mainly telocom and networking...... I like the TheWireGuys........ please tell me what you think and give me you ideas!!!!
I have been in the low voltage industry for ten years, working for independently owned small businesses, nation wide security companies, and everyone in between. My work and talent has made others rich, now I feel it is my turn. I specialize in low voltage systems including: security systems, automation systems, house audio, home theater, access control, fire systems, CCTV, central vac, computer networks, and phone systems.

thank you

If you're really doing Security, Automation, HT systems etc. and not just the low voltage wiring then I think "TheWiringGuy(s)" is too limiting.

If I saw that, I'd assume that all you did was cabling...

As a side note, both www.thewireguy.com and www.thewireguys.com are both already registered. I think you'll find that picking a name you like is only a small part of the equation... as Electron eluded, finding a name you like that still has an available domain name is the tricky part!

Use a "whois" service like the one linked here to check and see if a domain is already taken: http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp

"thewireguys.com" looks like it's expiring in about 5 months. There's currently no real contect there so you may get lucky if you still want it and they don't renew?

Cheers,
Paul

Well, I did this around 10 years ago when a friend was just starting out by himself and asked me to join him. Didn't do it cause of the risk, but today he has like 30 trucks on the road and can enjoy golf, etc while the money comes in and he has competant people working for him. Anyway, the company is...

TCS - Total Cabling Solutions

It worked for him, maybe you will have the same luck with it. http://www.totalcable.com

Good luck...

pkoslow said:
If you're really doing Security, Automation, HT systems etc. and not just the low voltage wiring then I think "TheWiringGuy(s)" is too limiting.

If I saw that, I'd assume that all you did was cabling...

As a side note, both www.thewireguy.com and www.thewireguys.com are both already registered. I think you'll find that picking a name you like is only a small part of the equation... as Electron eluded, finding a name you like that still has an available domain name is the tricky part!

Use a "whois" service like the one linked here to check and see if a domain is already taken: http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp

"thewireguys.com" looks like it's expiring in about 5 months. There's currently no real contect there so you may get lucky if you still want it and they don't renew?

Cheers,
Paul
I would like to stay away from the electonics and just pull wire......... i have been on to many service calls " I'm haveing a party tomorrow and my ________ doesn't work" ....... Service departments never make money

thewireguy said:
I would like to stay away from the electonics and just pull wire...
Understood... I wasn't clear from your initial post. Sounded like maybe you were installing systems too.

Do you focus mainly on residential or commercial work, or a mix of both?

-Advanced Cable
-Advanced Cable Solutions
-TechCable
-Tech Cabling

When I was trying to decide I kept adding names in a list on my Blackberry whenever I would think of something (or whenever someone would make a suggestion). About once a week I would check for available domain names and cross off the ones that I couldn't get a good match for.

I think in the end I had around 70+ names, but only around a dozen or so that I could get closely matching domains for.

Don't get stuck on actual words either... consider making something up and create you own branding!

-Cietronics (Custom Integrated Electonics???) you get the idea...

Cheers,
Paul

pkoslow said:

FWIW, if you find something you like, register it ASAP. When I was looking for domain names, one of my first coices was available and I waited a few hours to register it. When I tried to sign-up, it had been poached. I have never confirmed this, but I was told people will monitor whois inquiries and register them so you have to buy the domain from them at a premium.

yep, I have seen this happen myself, don't even try to check the whois servers until you are ready to register it.

Depending who you're marketing to -consumers versus contractors, for example - you may want to consider what they'll want from you in the name.

low cost cabling guy
best quality cabling guy
residential cabling
whatever.

My marketing experts remind me regularly that the focus after is often on the seller when it should be on the buyer.

You may want to consider who you're asking about the name, too: are we your buyers? If not, how can you ask your buyers which name they respond to best?

Having renamed a couple of my companies over the years, I wish I'd considered the buyers in the first place.

The domain is much harder then the actual name.

I agree with Paul almost 100%...

What was an eBay or a Google before eBay and Google?

What is an AMX??? What is Crestron or is it a who??? No need to analize cocoontech. ;)

If you are good as you say it won't matter too much.

Acyronmys suck for domains, most all are taken and if its not it something you don't want anyway. ADKHLDAHFL.net is AVAILABLE!!! Yeah. :huh:

Make is damn near impossible to misspell or you will wind up with multiple domains if you are lucky. That would be my only problem with Paul's example... I dunno if I would spell it that way if someone told me to check that domain out.

---
You can also offer design services, I have a few who pay me to design and use a local installer or DIY. This way they get professional advise and quality part#s to buy on eBay / used.

Back