Help with demo system for WAF

Ok, since this is a test run, can I use z-wave sensors in combination with say CQC or Homeseer to run a "pretend" alarm system.

So from her perspective, she will get the touchscreen which shows when a window / Door is open. But from the backend side, I can skip the cost of the control board initially as well as use a 30 day trial of one of the above software packages. That delays my expenditures until after I get the a-ok. All I would need are sensors and software. And of course a couple UPB switched/modules.

(And I understand this is NOT an alarm system per say, if at all, but from her user point of view it achieves the desired effect).

Then I can use the same sensors with an Elk or HAI after she decides she likes it.

Will the software programs deal with IP cameras and UPB directly? i.e. without a security panel?

I would buy an ELK and start with that.
Have you looked into home insurance discount based on existence of an alarm system? Pays for some of the upgrade.
Dependent on where you live, what's the price of security?
By the time you "cobble together" pieces and parts you will be over the price of an integrated system (like ELK). Most of the ELK cost is installation. Buy the main panel and then add a few sensors as your first pieces. You can always extend the system as you have time / investment.

You are then able to add CQC / Homeseer / MainLobby software systems to extend the hardware platform when you are ready.

Ok, since this is a test run, can I use z-wave sensors in combination with say CQC or Homeseer to run a "pretend" alarm system.

So from her perspective, she will get the touchscreen which shows when a window / Door is open. But from the backend side, I can skip the cost of the control board initially as well as use a 30 day trial of one of the above software packages. That delays my expenditures until after I get the a-ok. All I would need are sensors and software. And of course a couple UPB switched/modules.

(And I understand this is NOT an alarm system per say, if at all, but from her user point of view it achieves the desired effect).

Then I can use the same sensors with an Elk or HAI after she decides she likes it.

Will the software programs deal with IP cameras and UPB directly? i.e. without a security panel?

Hi,

Homeseer will do this if you install the BLSecurity plugin.

The netcam plugin can support WIfi cameras to a point.

while it is not an alarm panel i will be able to tell you if you have left a door open.

To do window/door monitoring you will need some x10 ds10a's and an x10 reciver.

Message me if you have any questions, i have or am setting this up now.

Raptor

Go with Elk or HAI. In my opinion, you're better off leaving security to an embedded security controller.

Elk and HAI will satisfy most automation needs.

I was afraid of that. There is a minimum cost floor which you have to get to have it work.

I will check out the Elve as a possability.

So for now..I am looking at the following

System Software (Elve?)
iPad app/software
2 zwave window sensors
1 wireless web camera
UPB switches / plugs

Any other ideas / approaches?

Just catching up on a few threads I missed last week and didn't see this mentioned. But Elve has a iphone/itouch app (free in the app store) witch integrates with the back end server software to control everything from that mobile platform. I do not know if it works on the ipad but I am hoping others might be able to tell you that.

If ever, homeseer has an iphone and ipad apps for their HSTouch plugin which allows a touchscreen experiance. it is also available on Window mobiel and Android.

Raptor

Ok taking your advice, I have been hunting for a discounted board. Come to find out, a relative runs wire for a living and has a used HAI board available for whatever I offer. But I can not tell what model it is (I think its a Omnipro II or IIe). I would like to offer him a fair price.

Take a look and tell me if you have any idea!

My link

A high WAF is definitley required. I started one project with HAL and x10 years ago. HAL works great- she especially liked the voice control ("Play my K.D. Lang music in the kitchen) but x10 wasn'r reliable enough.

Second project on a bigger scale- ELK, HAL, and Cinemar with touch screens. Happy wife, happy life. She now likes the screens that can show her if he kids have left the lights on ib the basement, or see where they are with the ELK motion sensors linked to the Cinemar screens. SHe can also control the motorized shades, etc., from an iPad.
This is a little bit more than the demo you want, but it is a bit like the half- pregnant comment earlier.

bob

Ok well I am getting a used Omnipro II for less than $500. Pretty good deal.

But Can someone help point me to a thread or two on differnet configurations / setups. Having a tough time determining what is needed for say UPB, wireless sensors, zwave etc.. You know, a thread that might show a flow chart of the components of someones HAI system and how they connect. Of course there is plenty on Elk...but not so much on HAI so any assistance in finding similiar would be great.

I am a visual guy so I like pictures :)

Back