Help with detached garage

I programmed my keypads to light up a function key of the garage door is open. But the wife always wants the MBR keypad to not be illuminated because it keeps her awake at night or something. So I can only see if the garage door is open in the MBR if I press a key on the keypad to illuminate it. If I could set something up via an output that just uses a small LED to indicate status, rather than the HUGE brightly lit keypad, I think the wife would go for that.

I'm planning to do something similar with my OmniPro. I'm going to use an HAI house status switch, and have it light up a button on the switch if a door is open. Pressing that button will send commands to close open doors, and then poll the status after a suitable wait.

I programmed my keypads to light up a function key of the garage door is open. But the wife always wants the MBR keypad to not be illuminated because it keeps her awake at night or something.
Well there's your mistake - you told her that was an option! My wife's the same way, but I want the keypad on so I can see the status, so - apparently our elk doesn't have that feature ;-)

As for why your button didn't work with the toggle - it was basically like someone was holding the button down forever; so it couldn't work. The pulse is the way to go and safe; I've had a relay controlling the garage doors in my last 6 houses and never had a problem with the opener.

Back