Help wring Elk M1 Speaker out to IntraSonic I1000M

I want to output my Elk speaker to my intercom. I read the following thread for an on-q: http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/5683-elk-m1g-on-q-inquire-intercom/ but was not much help for my intercom.

The intercom I have is: http://www.intrasonictechnology.com/i1000/

I have an unused patio door module that I thought I could use as the speaker interface from my elk. Or do i go direct to the main intercom via cat5 on an unused station port?

The pins on the RJ45 for the Room/Patio stations are:

1 - Green/White - +15v
2 - Green - Control
3 - Orange/White - +15v
4 - Blue - Voice
5 - Blue/White - Ground
6 - Orange - Radio
7 - Brown/White - Ground
8 - Brown - Music

Is it as simple as using a speaker line level converter and connecting it to pins 4 and 5? or will I need something for the control pin? (simulate a button press) 

Any help is appreciated

Line level converter I was looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STINGER-SOUNDQUEST-HI-LOW-SPEAKER-LINE-LEVEL-CONVERTER-FOR-FACTORY-STEREO-TO-RCA-/360801257138?pt=US_Car_Audio_Video_Connectors_Terminals&hash=item54016e46b2

Looking at the IST-I1000M literature, I would go Cat5 to an AUXWP Auxiliary Wall Plate, then take speaker output of Elk into an RCA Jack or 1/8" connector (whatever is on that plate).  The only thing I can't figure out because I can't find any manual is if you should go pre-amp or line level as the input to that plate.

Do you have any more information on the devices that can be plugged into that Auxiliary Wall Plate?

I have successfully connected my pc output to the Auxillary Wall Plate but the only time that broadcasts is if the audio is turned on. I use it to stream music from my server (pandora, itunes, etc..). I'm assuming green pc is line level as that's what is working on it.

I wouldn't want to use that to broadcast the ELK messages as if someone turns off the audio on the intercom it would stop broadcasting them audio. Thou it's worth a try. 

Will give me something to do on New Years Day.

Question what happens when both the homeseer and elk are talking at the same time? In my case it would be music playing then the elk makes an announcement.  Would i hear both or just one side?

BraveSirRobbin said:
You mean if done according to that thread I linked to earlier?

Yes. But after reviewing your post looks like you are controlling the audio to the speakers. 

I like what you did and I may go that route if all else fails. It doesn't just work currently for what I want to do. I want the Elk to send the speaker output to the intercom (simulate someone pressing the talk button and speaking). 

All else fails I could run speakers to different parts of the house and use your method. Just didn't want to duplicate speakers where  there already is.

Have not had a chance to work on this. I might purchase the amp from elk and tinker with it.

Should be able to simulate a button press but you'd need to determine if there's any data on the control pin and ground....I'm guessing there is because there's not enough conductors to support a traditional style selective call.

Might require some soldering to get to what you need to in the station.

Any idea what I would use to see the data? Would I need a oscilloscope? A micro controller? Volt meter? (yes a little lost.)

I would hate to fry my intercom by just hooking up an audio source or voltage to it. 

I could always attach a relay to the actual button on the door station contacts. And control the button press that way. Sound feasible?

From what I'm seeing there is most definitely data on the cable...there's not enough conductors to do dry contacts. The manual is VERY light.

I think what you really need and will save the headache is the AUXWP and then a pair wired to the door station.

I would need to know more information from the manufacturer on how that input works and then drives the intercom....does it change status? Broadcast all call?

This is a much different unit than the greyfox.....I have one of those and those are constant broadcast and reasonably easy to drop chimes or other signals in as long as you know the pinouts.

If in doubt, you could always totally hack the patio module - figure out where the button connects and hook a relay that's controlled by the Elk to simulate a button press, then see what's involved in hooking the line level audio into the microphone connectors (in place of the Mic).  Elk has some sample rules to use for when to turn on/off the button press - I'm not near RP but they're something along the lines of "Whenever Amplifier turns on, turn on output xx".

You can try contacting the manufacturer too, but unfortunately you tend to get customer service reps who'll blow you off instead of giving you a useful answer.

As I stated in post #3 above, your chances of success most likely will be with the AUX wall plate.  I don't understand why they would make this wall plate, then have to depend on a door or contact closing to broadcast from that plate...or am I reading something wrong with your replies?

You mentioned that you can use the sound card "green" output of your PC (which is Pre-Amp and not line level btw).  How again do you do this?  You have to 'switch' some mode on?

BraveSirRobbin said:
As I stated in post #3 above, your chances of success most likely will be with the AUX wall plate.  I don't understand why they would make this wall plate, then have to depend on a door or contact closing to broadcast from that plate...or am I reading something wrong with your replies?

You mentioned that you can use the sound card "green" output of your PC (which is Pre-Amp and not line level btw).  How again do you do this?  You have to 'switch' some mode on?

I used a stereo audio jack to RCA left/right (like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Inch-3-5MM-Male-To-2-RCA-Female-Jack-Stereo-Audio-Cable-Y-Adapter-3S1-2R2-/290961857627) to the AUX wall plate. The AUX wall plate has it's own cat5 port that connect to the main unit on a dedicated port for only the AUX audio. Anything that I play on my pc will play on the intercom when it's set to AUX. Which I'm assuming is pin 8 music. As the radio is on the main unit. 

If I set the intercom source to radio then I will never hear the audio playing from the computer. That's why I'm using the AUX to play Pandora, iHeartRadio or iTunes. I simply can't use that to hear the ELK output. The wall plates don't control the AUX. I believe the AUX is getting power from the main unit as it does have circuitry on it. Which is accepting the pre-amp feed.

Back