Home Automation Questions

When I was looking for the CAS44 did come across some new old stock for $499 on Ebay. I paid only a bit less purchasing each of the pieces. Its really too what people are willing to pay that sets the price. Relating to speakers I've been getting rid of the legacy speakers over the last 30 years; much of the time because of their large footprints. (IE: Bose 901's, Kilpch Heresy's, etc). My last pair (largest footprint) were called Altec Lansing Stonehedge III. They stood about 4 feet or so and had 15" woofer / horn tweeters (voice of the theater speakers). Today in the house went to "in-wall" speakers (cheap Pyle, Polk and smaller JBL's). My family room is a combo with two small tower JBL's, Center Bose, Polk middle set and no name rear external speakers. The MM stereo doesn't feed audio directly to the whole house sound but rather just line level to the whole house amplifier and vice versa for the whole house audio with a line level feeding the MM stereo. I use HA/Audio mostly for TTS. "Garage door is open" type stuff. I keep the streaming audio, audio storage and media playback devices separate. I can control the audio "basics" with HA and Russound. Basics are just volume, balance, source etc. Playlists relating to source. (MM Audio would be either Tivo, MM Tank, Tversity, Satellite, network attached device, etc).

The second CAS44 that I purchased I installed for a friend in her new Dental office. I was able to work with the contractor for the layout of the sound zones. Only one zone is stereo (waiting room) and the rest are mono (stations and utility rooms). Her preference of music is classical; sources being radio, CD's and IPod. I used a plain IPOD dock with IR control. All of the audio equipment is sitting adjacent to her computer equipment in a designated "server" room. She didn't want to incur any monthly costs for satellite so initially connected a tuner. I had very poor radio reception in server room so extended one of the Russound CAS44 audio inputs to the opposite side of her office adjacent to a window to get her radio reception. I want to set up streaming internet (she has BB) so purchased an internet device (it will be a gift) but haven't set it up yet.

That seems cool, but I don't see my need for it. I'm really looking for something inexpensive. I don't need a $1000 controller. I just want something that will monitor/interface with temperature sensors/control and with future lighting expansion. I don't even see myself using it for security really. I won't have motion sensors, and I won't have cameras. That's why I feel the Omni meets my needs without being too costly. If I don't have to spend $1000 to get what I want, why bother? I'd rather save the money and put it toward a better audio distribution system. BTW, I'm strongly considering the CAS44, if I can find it at the right price on eBay. I'd love a CAM6.6. MCA-C5 keypads are the nicest looking, in my opinion, but that's too current to be anything short of $1000, unless I can find somewhere where one fell off a truck. ;-)

I looked into the M1. It requires the ethernet expansion thing to email me, and the ethernet expansion thing requires the serial expander thing on the M1EZ8. I couldn't find the serial expander thing. That's one of the reasons I like the Omni. It's fairly pre-packaged. I'd need the Omni LT, Web-Link II or similar software, and an old computer.
I'm not sure why you think HomeSeer is a $1000 controller. HomeSeer is a software package that runs on your own PC. Many of us put together a small sub $300 pc to run it on. Then you connect your devices to the PC like the CAS44 and control it via remotes, or laptops via the web.

Because you told me I was looking for a controller and posted a $1000 HS controller. So in reality, it's more like the Web-Link II software than the physical Omni board?

pete, I think I'm going to lurk around eBay to find a CAS44 and pull the trigger. Looks like right now there aren't any on eBay. Since I don't need as many keypads, I won't get the kit. I'll need one for the living area, one for the deck. I can get the normal iPod dock from Apple. I'll have to find a cheap tuner. Any ideas? No need for HD radio or that jazz.

JTR-
You can find a "commercial" grade tuner used reasonably. (Tuner only - no amplification) - or even go with an older separate tuner. More recent ones (10 years old) had LCD/LED displays and push button memory tuning. The problem I had in the Dental office was that the "server" room was in the middle of the office on the second floor with all metal and concrete. Most of the RF radio noise was being generated from the rest of the equipment. I even tried mounting an antenna above and away from the tuner (about 5 feet of space above the acoutic tiles) and still couldn't get decent reception. Moving the tuner/antenna adjacent to a windows solved all of the problems. In a home its much different and it should be easier.

You can also do a "global" search on Craigs list to find things.

I recently also purchased an audio source amplifier (new - Amazon special - very reasonable) and just did a quick search for a new Audiosource amp. Looks like they don't sell it anymore - but you can probably pick one up for less than $50.

AudioSource Tuner

Many many years ago was into the audiofile thing (nakamichi dragon, thorens turntables, mac amps); these days much more subtle relating to music....

Because you told me I was looking for a controller and posted a $1000 HS controller. So in reality, it's more like the Web-Link II software than the physical Omni board?

pete, I think I'm going to lurk around eBay to find a CAS44 and pull the trigger. Looks like right now there aren't any on eBay. Since I don't need as many keypads, I won't get the kit. I'll need one for the living area, one for the deck. I can get the normal iPod dock from Apple. I'll have to find a cheap tuner. Any ideas? No need for HD radio or that jazz.
HomeSeer is the software that runs on the HomeTroller. The HomeTroller is the "PC" part.
As far as inexpensive tuners goes, I bought a sony 2 channel tuner about 3 weeks ago for $189 brand new. It works great for a single zone audio source. I use the iTunes plugin for HomeSeer to serve my music. One of the neatest things the HS media plugins do is mute the music when a text to speech announcment comes in. So right now I'm listening to music on the deck setting near my fire pit and HomeSeer announced that the door bell was rung.

I didn't even think of Craigslist. I just did a search for Russound. Turns out there's a going out of business sale at an electronics store near me. I could get a CAV6.6 for $450. Hmmm... Would put me over after getting the keypads though... Decisions, decisions.

Any idea if the CAV6.6 is compatible with the same keypad from the MCA-C5? I like that one much better.

Yes a Russound CAV6.6 is even nicer. $450 is a great price considering what they were selling for. (and you get both audio and video) Uses RNET. Don't know about the MCA-C5 but more choices of Keypads with the CAV6.6. Recently Russound announced a new line whole house stuff so you will see more of the same on sale soon.

Personally like the LCD mini computer like display keypads over the manual "push button" types. That's why I got the KPL style keypads for myself. With RNET you can do much more relating to music with the LCD keypads.

You should check out my blog. I am doing a very low cost retrofit in my home that is similar to what you are looking to do.
http://www.cocoontech.com/blog/nexusblog/index.php?

HAI OPII
HAI HLC UPB Switches
HAI Omnistat 2 (yet to come)
Russound CAM 6.6 with keypads
Casatunes with a barix adapter

I will probably integrate Hoomseer or similar as a project once all the hardware is in place. Still need 15 more switches and the thermostat.

I'm currently reading your blog in fascination. I like it. The thing is I've got so many windows. To contact all of them... 23 in all. I think. Did the number by memory :-/

I wonder what the software set you back. I like both the dealer software for programming the board and that SnapLink software.

I am a big fan of the CAM 6.6, just trying to figure how I can fit it into my budget of sorts.

I've put in a word to the Craigslist seller of the CAV. If I decide I don't want it, the same controller usually goes for $600-1000 on eBay. Cha-ching. If it did HD video, I'd love to have it distribute my video. But, since I get HD quality already, why downgrade to SD?

I think the keypads for the C-series are really attractive. However, I'm not sure if they will work with this controller. I wish they would. I'm not a fan of their Uno keypads. Do they have anything for weather-proofing? I'd like to put a keypad on the deck, but I guess if I have to settle for an IR input and a keypad just inside the door, I will.

Back