Home Automation Retail Storefront

bnesmith

Does there exist anywhere in this autamatic world, a retail automation store, where you can walk in and buy stuff off the shelves? Im not talking about a few switches at Lowes, I mean a REAL automation store!
BN

There is a Worthington store in Las Vegas, that I know, but otherwise, Martin's is the only one I can think of. Radioshack carries some X10 gear, but nothing exciting, and very pricey.

electron said:
There is a Worthington store in Las Vegas, that I know, but otherwise, Martin's is the only one I can think of.  Radioshack carries some X10 gear, but nothing exciting, and very pricey.
Yes, we are very fortunate to have both a Frys and a Worthingtons here in Las Vegas. Leo Sodderman runs the Worthngtons distribution warehouse and he is also very knowledgable as he has been in the automation business for a long time (he used to be a technical editor for an automation magazine in the past). He is also very friendly and is willing to give you advice! Luckily Worthingtons decided to make a store front of the warehouse for walk in sales (unlike the local X-10 distribution warehouse here that refuses to do this. Plus if I would order from X-10, I have to pay Nevada Sales Tax because they are local here).

Fry's has a selection of X-10 stuff plus their camera items also.

Our local Home Depot hardware store also carries basic X-10 gear.

I also order items from Automated Outlet which is almost like a storefront to me because I can call and talk to Martin or Jason and get excellent service and support.

Leo Sodderman runs the Worthngtons distribution warehouse
Is Leo still there? I noticed he wasn't in the most recent Worthington Catalog, and they have someone else listed as Las Vegas branch manager.

jlehnert said:
Leo Sodderman runs the Worthngtons distribution warehouse
Is Leo still there? I noticed he wasn't in the most recent Worthington Catalog, and they have someone else listed as Las Vegas branch manager.
Wow, that's odd because he was the one who handed me the latest Worthington's catalog right before they went to press at the Las Vegas store a couple of weeks ago.

I was under the impression the Leo was with asiHome, rather than Worthington. asiHome is Worthington's retail division, especially now that Worthington is really trying to become "dealer only". So it would kinda make sense not to mention him in a Worthington catalog if they are trying to differentiate the two divisions.

bnesmith:

I´m wondering for why do you need a store ? I think is better to buy from Internet: all the products you can buy, all the companies to compare prices, faster, easier, you can email and livechat (with some companies) about questions,..............
I´m just curious about why are you asking for that.

We do have a lot of local customers that like to come in and touch and feel stuff before they buy if they are uncertain about which products to get.

Why would you ever buy beer from a bar when you could buy it from the internet. Its all about the experience. Imagine walking into a store and being able to touch everything that you want but cant afford at the moment. It just sends your imagination wild.

Its kinda like going into your local fishing store to get a new rod. You don't just go for the rod you go to ask the store owner where the fish are biting. Its all about the experience.

My problem when going to a store, is all of those other items, the ones I didn't know or think about that (see me coming) and start shouting "Take me home with you, John"

I always spend so much more money in a store!

Plus, there have been a few times where I needed something right away for a project. That CM11a to test out mControl, the serial adapter to connect my new Caddx NX8e, that X-10 outlet that I forgot to order for an outdoor light that I want to automate, etc...

I've never seen a HomeAutomation store. They must only exist in the American west? I guess us southern hicks just simply do not know much about automation. ;)

Back