HOME AUTOMATION SOFTWARE

gasbie

I'm deciding on which home automation software to get since there are too many software out there. Could everyone state which home automation software they using and also tell us why you prefer it than others (pros and cons). thanks

I'm deciding on which home automation software to get since there are too many software out there. Could everyone state which home automation software they using and also tell us why you prefer it than others (pros and cons). thanks

CQC (www.charmedquark.com)

It is robust, network based, has support for a large range of devices and allows me to write drivers to gear that only I have.

Mick

CQC (www.charmedquark.com)

It is robust, network based, has support for a large range of devices and allows me to write drivers to gear that only I have.

Mick

This is what I use also. I want to add that the customer service dean is exceptional. There will be a new pricing structure soon that will make it more affordable to start off.

am looking at the cqc website for supported devices. it seems like they don't have alot of device listed on their website? Is there a way to check all compatible devices for cqc?

Personally I am using Promixis products at the moment for my Now Playing project (see my blog) but will be looking into either Elve or Homeseer/HStouch when the snow starts to fly.

Simple!
Elve. Hands down.
Works great. Great support and if theres a driver you need, just ask!

am looking at the cqc website for supported devices. it seems like they don't have alot of device listed on their website? Is there a way to check all compatible devices for cqc?

The drivers that are shipped with the installation package are listed under support and then supported devices on the main web page. Dean only includes these drivers once he can be sure they are 100% stable. In the cqc forums there is a beta drivers section where the user created drivers are. Most of these drivers are plenty stable for a production environment, Dean just has not had the time or equipment to verify this.

Personally I am using Promixis products at the moment for my Now Playing project (see my blog) but will be looking into either Elve or Homeseer/HStouch when the snow starts to fly.

Are you jumping ship back to homeseer? :p
Is it the slow development or lack of features that is making you think this way?

Just want to know

What devices are you looking to support? Dean's categories sometimes confuse people, for example HAI and Elk M1 are under Automation Panels, Amps/Receivers are under AV Processors. Lutron GrafikEye and UPB are both supported.

There are also a lot of drivers in beta in the forum that have yet to be included in the base product, and need to be installed separately, so you might want to try a forum search also.

I'm a CQC user but to be perfectly honest I don't think I would invest any $ in CQC right now. The company seems to be in a never ending tail spin and I'm not sure it is going to pull out. It is sad because I don't think any other software can really touch it's positives. There are other alternatives you really should look at first.

I've also been a loyal and happy user of CQC for past 5 years. While I am frustrated that they can't get their business strategy consistent, the product is still very good. While there is a risk with any business going under now may actually be a good time to buy CQC while the price is low and all inclusive. Dean has indicated if and when he does finally give up on the business CQC will be open sourced. And he's a stand up guy so I believe that will happen. The point being that if CQC doesn't survive, you still have the product that you purchased at a very good price and will continue to be usable. The truth is, none of the HA software companies are very large and any of them can go under at any time. So as long as you go into that way, its not really too risky.

I'm a CQC user but to be perfectly honest I don't think I would invest any $ in CQC right now. The company seems to be in a never ending tail spin and I'm not sure it is going to pull out. It is sad because I don't think any other software can really touch it's positives. There are other alternatives you really should look at first.

I'm not going to argue that point, because any prospective buyer needs to do their due diligence. But when Dean was thinking of closing down CQC, at least he was going to open source it. Now that there is some more interest in CQC from some prospective investors, Dean has delayed that decision to see how that all plays out.

So I'm confident that anyone getting CQC isn't going to be left high and dry regardless of what happens long term. I think the worse case scenerio is that someone pays for CQC today, only to have it go open source sometime in the future (and hence might be free to others in the future).

Back