Home Automation through Instant Messaging?

marteken

Hello, does somebudy know if there's any software which can act as a gateway for msn messenger (or others) so that I could send a message to my house over the internet and the computer would execute a file depending on the message I sent?

I know homeseer has something but I dont use hs so I was wondering if there's a generic software for that...

I would love to do the same thing via SMS using my mobile phone..

Any ideas?

Thanks

CQC has an SMS driver, but doesn't support MSN or anything like that. And there's a POP3 driver so you can use e-mails as well.

Hello, does somebudy know if there's any software which can act as a gateway for msn messenger (or others) so that I could send a message to my house over the internet and the computer would execute a file depending on the message I sent?

I know homeseer has something but I dont use hs so I was wondering if there's a generic software for that...

I would love to do the same thing via SMS using my mobile phone..

Any ideas?

Thanks

What kind of stuff do you want to do. I use mine to get status or send voice commands to my kids. I rolled my own and it sends commands to my elk (alarm or voice commands) and to the controlthink sdk for lights. I really am not that happy with it because Messenger is complicated and is made for many things like voice and file transfer which are beyond simple messaging. I am looking at google talk to see if it simplifies things. I want it to switch to my cellphone text messaging when i am not logged in. It does get annoying now since it tells me when the phone is ringing , or the doorbell is pressed etc.

Thanks for your replys.
I'm using Superna for my home control. I also have have created (with help from SUperna guys) *.exe files which contain any action for any device Superna has built in. So basically what I want to do is to find 3rd party softwares which can launch an exe file given a certain command.

For example, I already did that using an IVR software, so whe I call to my house there's an answering machine and I have all the options I want to control over the phone. Basically when I press a number (an option) the IVR software calls the exe file asociated with that option.

Based on that then I created another solution with Salling Clicker. This is more an in-house in-range (bluetooth) solution. But stills, I have a screen on my cell phone with all my options (Lighting, IR commands, etc) to control my home through my mobie phone.

So, now I have two more things I would like to do. One is to find a SMS gateway which can do the same thing, launch an exe file. And the other thing I thought it would be cool is to use an instant message system, like msn, yahoo, etc.

I hope you have a better idea of what I want. If you have some ideas it would be great.

Thanks again.

Martin
www.aiQiuhome.com

HomeSeer has the MSNMessenger plugin, an SMS plugin, and the Message Server which is a client server app.

*** Whoops I didn't read close enough. Sorry.

Thank you Vaughn, that little program did just what I wanted using MSN Messenger.
Thank you all for your help.

Martin

Back