NFC tags and Home Automation (requires an Android based phone with NFC support)

Look at i-bluetooth.com
I have 2 of them, they work pretty good as long as your car isn't extremely loud while driving. This is due to the speaker placement bit it would be very easy to hook up an external speaker.

Looks like the website changed.
www.bluetoothmirror.com

I haven't come up with anything NFC can do that I don't already do with Tasker. Including everything in this thread.
Why would you need to use NFC to announce when you are heading home, just use Tasker.
I know the "because it's new and I want to" answers but c'mon man! Common sense sometimes does win.

I do not use it to ANNOUNCE my going home. I use it to TRIGGER a Tasker Task to ENABLE Bluetooth. I don't like the idea of keeping BT on all the time.

I still use Tasker to still drive everything.

--Dan

Enabling Bluetooth is another great use for an NFC tag in a car.

I'm sure there are a lot of aftermarket Bluetooth options, but I'm probably going to buy the factory module (Chrysler U-Connect) so I can use the buttons.

Nothing like trying HA again to feel stupid.

So I got some NFC tags off Amazon. I know they work, when I tap them with my phone it pops up a "yo dude, NFC tag".

I downloaded NFC Task Launcher. I already have Tasker.

I can't get NFC Task Launcher to work correctly. If I click "new tag" and try to add a Tasker task, or even just fire off a simple email, it doesn't actually save that action. It will save a WiFi off action so I know i'm not a total nimrod, but thats not what I need.

Anyone here know how NFC Task Launcher works? I can't find a help forum anywhere...

I have a bunch of tags, but gave up on them because I had 0 range (so I rely on Bluetooth/WiFi proximity & Tasker instead), but I'll try to reinstall this tonight, give it a whirl, and report back soon.

I literally just got the email to work, although it requires several screen taps so not actually useful (its basically like the mailto: link in HTML). No idea why the email suddenly started working, I didn't actually do anything different.

Still can't get tasker to work.

Mine seem to have near zero range too, but I can mitigate that easily by rethinking how I use them.

WooHoo! As posted here, I just got NFC Task Launcher to trigger CQC tasks by way of the web server (aka zero lag). Variety of use cases spring to mind, most likely more than the 4 tags I currently own ;-)

I do all of that stuff with Tasker and looking for Bluetooth/Wifi connections (even starts my music player when I get in the car), so I don't have to do anything like touching the tag, etc.  Really wish these tags offered more than .00001" range, or I would consider using them.  I even got a few which are machine washable, so I could sew it into my pockets, and have the phone detect when the phone is in my pocket.

What phone do you have?

I have an HTC One X. I have actions that require more detailed triggers than just WiFi near or cell near, the NFC tags are perfect.

I also got the NFC task launcher people to replicate my issue linking tasker actions, they're looking to push an update this week. That'd be nice.

and to close out this issue, NFC Task Launcher now works with Tasker on the HTC. 

And, of course, I just learned about the Locale NFC plug-in, which in theory would allow me to only use Tasker and not glue together two different programs. Not sure though, Tasker may not allow me to rescan a tag, one user claims this is to set a state context. 

Back