Home Automation

Sandy10

Pls Help! My husband is a quadraplegic C1 C2 & we r building a new home. I am so lost & frustrated I am trying to get the home Automated so he will be more independent. I have absolutely no knowledge about electronics & I do not know where to start & what I need. Everything sounds so overwhelming & confusing. He has no movement so he needs something with voice recognition / microphones. He is not on his computer all day. He would like to turn on his music, lights etc. Plssssss Help!

This is going to be a complex project that is best handled by a competent Home Automation integrator in your local area.  Where are you at?

i agree w/ neillt that this is going to be a complex project and that you will want some help from a professional--ideally someone with experience addressing similar needs.

that said, have a look at this thread, which may be of interest to you.

The electrician at the home is willing to wire the equipment but I am not sure what I need to purchase.

Electricians (in most cases) won't be the ones to provide the type of system you're looking for. It's great that yours is willing to run the wires, but you really need to find an integrator who has the knowledge and experience to put together and support a system that will fit your needs. You might try googling for "home automation Orlando" (substitute wherever you live in the the sunshine state) and start making some calls. 

js19707 gave the same advice I came to give - there is a TON of learning to do here - but if you or your husband are willing to take time to learn, you can absolutely make a better life for him.  Quadomated is an awesome project that gave the author a whole new level of independence and can be very inspirational.

I definitely appreciate the need and I'd be happy to help where I can with design and other areas where I can if one of you fully engages.  There's rarely a situation where there's a single solution - although often you can contact outsourcers and each will suggest their "one solution" but your needs are not typical...  I think it's a matter of focusing on priorities and a list of nice-to-haves and absolute requirements, and looking at the control options.  

Please elaborate on what you need, what limitations your husband has that you want to accommodate, etc - and I know I personally will be happy to help, as will others I'm sure.

Hi Sandy 10
Have some install knowledge on the type of home you are looking for , we are based out of Phx, Az .
Thought you will be looking at a system that will entail multiple systems all operating from 1- central controller 2- A voice activated interface ,3 integrate a body lift system & remote door operation for starters , 4- lighting,HVAC , Security , Medical , access control and other options based on your comfort requirements

Sandy10,

I'm familiar with a local automation supply house that teamed up and volunteered to automate a house for a quadraplegic.  They are not local to the Florida market, but the guys are super nice and it is probably worth a phone call to them.  They might have some connections or recommendations in your local area.

[URL="http://www.setnetpro.com/"]http://www.setnetpro.com]SetNetPro Website[/url].  The phone number is 864-663-0014 and the owner's name is Tony Stewart.  

Thanks "EVERYONE" for all the info & help u r trying to give us. Sic0048 I will definitely call Tony today, hopefully he will be able to guide us. Work2play & Mrmonday we r trying to set up just basic home automation like my husband is able to turn his stereo & Tv on in his room, the room & fan lights some hallway lights maybe he can even operate his bed controls ( he has a hospital kind of bed)
My husband has absolutely no movement from his neck down. He operates his computer through voice recognition.
I read about Hal 2000, but it all sounds so confusing even though they say it is easy.
I am just hoping I am able to get the home automated before they start putting up drywall. He tries so hard to be independent.

Sandy,

Just a note regarding another company and person to talk to regarding your concerns.

http://www.ambengr.com/

Address:

Ambient Engineering
5705 E. Dixileta Drive
Cave Creek, AZ 85331

Phone: 602-531-4928

Owner: Daniel Overman

Use me as a reference; pete at Cocoontech

Thanks Sandy.  Nice area.   here familiar with a little key between Sarasota and Brandenton ...some 30 years now...getting old....

Back