Home music server?

JimS

Thinking of setting up a music server to replace the CD changer.  This is prompted by a lack of CD player in the car and going to USB files there so will have the files to use both places.  I have a couple boxes running Ubuntu so if I could run them there with a web page for control that would be great.  I know there are tons of pages of doing this on the web but any recommendations of which one or where to start?

One piece of software that's good for wrangling a lot of media is J.River Media Center.  The metadata and file naming tools are amazingly robust.  That and their smart playlist and media sync tools are pretty handy for doing things like transcoding files on the server into naming structures and codec formats better for use in a car radio.  It's worth the low price they charge for it.

I made use of it a lot for a while when I was commuting more.  These days though I just listen to sat radio instead.   Still have two SD cards in the radio though, that were transferred using JRMC.

As for music server, it does have a lot of features for that but, again, I've largely given up on wasting my time trying to be my own DJ and just stream Pandora or Siriusxm most of the time.

wkearney99 said:
One piece of software that's good for wrangling a lot of media is J.River Media Center.  The metadata and file naming tools are amazingly robust.  That and their smart playlist and media sync tools are pretty handy for doing things like transcoding files on the server into naming structures and codec formats better for use in a car radio.  It's worth the low price they charge for it.

I made use of it a lot for a while when I was commuting more.  These days though I just listen to sat radio instead.   Still have two SD cards in the radio though, that were transferred using JRMC.

As for music server, it does have a lot of features for that but, again, I've largely given up on wasting my time trying to be my own DJ and just stream Pandora or Siriusxm most of the time.
It appears to be free now so, yes, that's a low price.  :)  Thanks for the feedback.

JimS said:
It appears to be free now so, yes, that's a low price.  :)  Thanks for the feedback.
Free trial, yeah.  But still worth buying.  I still keep my license upgraded to support their efforts, even though I don't use it regularly anymore.

wkearney99 said:
Free trial, yeah.  But still worth buying.  I still keep my license upgraded to support their efforts, even though I don't use it regularly anymore.
I guess I was wrong.  Their Jukebox software now says totally free and I didn't look around much on the first look.  Will give it a closer look. 

I haven't paid much attention to their current offerings.  But, iirc, the jukebox sotware was something different and development wasn't continued?

I haven't poked at this in quite a while, but I never managed to find a good all-around jukebox-like solution that didn't end up being a chore to deal with.

I've been using LMS (Logitech Media Server/SqueezeServer) for ages now.  Open source now.  Lots of clients available like Chromecast and Raspberry Pi devices emulating Squeezeboxes.  Or Squeezebox software emulators.  And a ton of plugins.  It integrates with Home Assistant and OpenHab fairly easily.

I also utilize LMS here on the MythTV box.  Many many years now. 

There are also a number of KODI plugins which scan your music and present it nicely to touchtablets or TV.

The built in Kodi music apps scan the internet for cover art et al from any media source (IE: usb stick).

When satellite radio went to commercials stopped listening to it.

Kodi is an aux audio /video choice now on the automobiles HU. Some guy in Germany wrote a Python plugin to tap in to the automobile bus and ODB which works nicely to see a custom speedo / stats page, audio and video on the Kodi box and using VPN to access the home media server. I can remote control the automobile but cannot drive it. I also utilize aux #2 custom Android for Android Auto which I like best for navigation these days. Aux #1 is CoreElec Kodi running on a micro Intel CPU box. Both connect to a custom video interface which displays on the HU.  

When I was a teenager, we all wanted a "big" stereo system to crank our music on.  Even just 10 years ago, a whole house music solution was a goal that a lot of people wanted to have.  Now it seems that most kids/people are content on having a tiny Bluetooth speaker that they carry around.  It's amazing how things have changed over time.

Back