HomeSeer / Alarm / Weigand Proximity Reader

Tolli

I'm looking for an alarm system to integrate with a HomeSeer automation system. I also need to have a proximity card reader outside the door (preferably one that also supports pin input like the AY-F64) that ties into the system. I know the ELk supports the Weigand system from the keypad. With HomeSeer or something else could I use some other alarm panel (Caddx, DCS, ???). I would prefer not to have to buy the ELK since it duplicates a lot of what the HomeSeer can already do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tolli

Tolli,
If you are on a tight budget you may want to consider an ELK EZ8 Security and Automation Control Board only and control it from Homeseer. This gives you a good, stable input/output platform for system operation. Should (when) the PC crash, your critical operations can continue.

Keep us informed.

Spanky said:
"consider an ELK EZ8 Security and Automation Control Board only and control it from Homeseer."
with the EZ8 - don't I need to buy a separate module to work with the HomeSeer system? Is the interface different? I do really like the ELK system. I am for sure going to be buying a strip of their relays for other uses in the Home
automation system / theater (I have grand ambitions of building a scissor lift for my projector to lower and raise from a cavity in my ceiling).

BraveSirRobbin said:
Also, FYI, the Elk is a LOT easier to program than a Caddx (and I've played with both of them). :D
I've heard that as well - I've read the DCS is the worst.

Is this the case even if you have the PC software and you can program from there and then upload to the alarm?

Your knowledge on this is much appreciated. I feel like the biggest challenge in this is choosing the correct components to start with.

Tolli said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
Also, FYI, the Elk is a LOT easier to program than a Caddx (and I've played with both of them). :D
I've heard that as well - I've read the DCS is the worst.

Is this the case even if you have the PC software and you can program from there and then upload to the alarm?

Your knowledge on this is much appreciated. I feel like the biggest challenge in this is choosing the correct components to start with.
The DL-900 programming software for the Caddx is not all that user friendly. Plus lots of people have problems configuring the panel in order to get it to work. Also be aware that I just did the basics of my Caddx (didn't configure phone interface).

It can work and it's not to bad, but after my experience with the Elk I'm thinking why even bother.

Plus the Elk is sooooo much more versatile, though I realize this isn't a priority for you.

It really comes down to money and features. The Caddx will work for a plain Jane security system and I have mine interfaced to HomeSeer 1.7.43 and it is more of a pain to configure; but, if you can afford the Elk I would highly recommend that instead.

Back