Homeseer Upgrade Confusion

upstatemike

Homeseer is running a promo for upgrades from 1.7 to 2.0 so I spent some time over on the Homeseer site to see if it is something I should consider. After reading a bunch of stuff there I am totally confused and I need somebody that is using the new version to help me understand some things:

1- Is the new version 2.0 or 2.1? The promo talks about 2.0 but a lot of discussions on the site refer to things that "require 2.1".

2- Does the JDS/Stargate plugin work with 2.x at all? Or is this something that won't be resolved any time soon?

3- I have the VWS plugin from Ambient but this is no longer mentioned on the site. Would I need to switch to a new weather plugin for VWS? Does the old Ambient one work with 2.x at all? Is there a new version from Ambient?

4- The Way2Call modem talks about working with Homeseer Phone software but the Homeseer 2.0 features list states that the phone function is now built-in to Homeseer but licensed separately. Does the Way2Call work OK with this built-in phone app? (The new phone app is not mentioned in the Way2Call description)

5- Is it true that the Insteon plugin has serious problems?

6- Is there a Slimserver plugin available or in development?

Any clarification on these points is appreciated!

Homeseer is running a promo for upgrades from 1.7 to 2.0

Do you have a link or details for this Mike? I can't seem to find it.

I can start by answering a couple of those questions:

1- Is the new version 2.0 or 2.1? The promo talks about 2.0 but a lot of discussions on the site refer to things that "require 2.1".

There was a problem with the 2.0 versions as it used the "first" .net interface from Microsoft. After Microsoft came out with their later version of .net Homeseer wrote version 2.1 with it, thus solving a lot of problems with that earlier 2.0 version. (DO NOT install 2.0 and make sure you have the latest .net interface BEFORE you install 2.1).

BSR EDIT: Made a minor mistake with this information, make sure you read the correct posts/info below!

2- Does the JDS/Stargate plugin work with 2.x at all? Or is this something that won't be resolved any time soon?

By my regular 'browsing" of the Homeseer boards I seem to remember that there was talk about rewriting the JDS plugin for the latest version of Homeseer. I "think" there are some problems with the latest version (thus the push for the re-write).

Attention HomeSeer v1.7 Users - LAST CHANCE PROMO!

Here's your last chance to purchase our HomeSeer v2.0 upgrade at a specially discounted price. From now through June 30th, purchase either the download or CD version of the upgrade and you'll save $10! PLUS... those who purchase by June 15th may also buy any HomeSeer brand plug-in for 50% off! That's a total savings of $30-$60! Simply redeem the coupon codes below when you purchase your software:

ITEM___________________________COUPON_________EXP.

$10 off HomeSeer v2.0 Upgrade........HS2UPGRADE.........6/30

50% off HomeSeer Plug-in.................HSPLUGIN..............6/15

upstatemike said:

Here's your last chance to purchase our HomeSeer v2.0 upgrade at a specially discounted price.
I haven't received that email and cannot find it posted. Does that mean that they are about to end ALL upgrade pricing on June 30th? Meaning that people will have to pay full retail price if they wish to upgrade in the future?

BraveSirRobbin said:
Homeseer is running a promo for upgrades from 1.7 to 2.0

Do you have a link or details for this Mike? I can't seem to find it.

I can start by answering a couple of those questions:

There was a problem with the 2.0 versions as it used the "first" .net interface from Microsoft. After Microsoft came out with their later version of .net Homeseer wrote version 2.1 with it, thus solving a lot of problems with that earlier 2.0 version. (DO NOT install 2.0 and make sure you have the latest .net interface BEFORE you install 2.1).

By my regular 'browsing" of the Homeseer boards I seem to remember that there was talk about rewriting the JDS plugin for the latest version of Homeseer. I "think" there are some problems with the latest version (thus the push for the re-write).
BSR,
Forgive me for stepping in but I wanted to clear up a couple of points so as to not confuse anyone. First off you do have to install HomeSeer 2.0.2041 first and then you can instantly upgrade to 2.1.xx (currently at 2.1.88). Rich is currently putting together a full install for 2.1.x but it will not be released until 2.1.x is released and not in beta.

Rick is actively working the Stargate plugin and according to some of the latest help tickets is getting several users up and running. I think it will be rewritten but in the mean time there are a few users that have had problems moving forward.

The upgrade pricing promo is just that a promo. Once it is over the upgrade price will return to it's pre-promo price.

Rupp said:
The upgrade pricing promo is just that a promo. Once it is over the upgrade price will return to it's pre-promo price.
Then I would consider the use of "last chance" to be deceptive and false.

WayneW, that's a little harsh. Very will could be last chance to buy at the current DISCOUNTED price.

WayneW said:
Rupp said:
Then I would consider the use of "last chance" to be deceptive and false.
You could read it that way or you could read it where HomeSeer isn't going to offer any more upgrade promos.

Rupp said:
BSR,
Forgive me for stepping in but I wanted to clear up a couple of points so as to not confuse anyone. First off you do have to install HomeSeer 2.0.2041 first and then you can instantly upgrade to 2.1.xx (currently at 2.1.88). Rich is currently putting together a full install for 2.1.x but it will not be released until 2.1.x is released and not in beta.
Oh my goodness Rupp I did not know this :eek: !

I'm glad you pointed that out (I edited my post above). The last thing anyone needs is to load that upgrade version trying to get it installed without loading the 2041 version first!

Thanks for that clarification! :D

BSR

upstatemike said:

Here's your last chance to purchase our HomeSeer v2.0 upgrade at a specially discounted price. From now through June 30th, purchase either the download or CD version of the upgrade and you'll save $10! PLUS... those who purchase by June 15th may also buy any HomeSeer brand plug-in for 50% off! That's a total savings of $30-$60! Simply redeem the coupon codes below when you purchase your software:

ITEM___________________________COUPON_________EXP.

$10 off HomeSeer v2.0 Upgrade........HS2UPGRADE.........6/30

50% off HomeSeer Plug-in.................HSPLUGIN..............6/15
So you were offered this via an Email? Is this a "public" offering? If so I would be more than happy to post this information in the "Hot Deals" section.

Rupp, do you know if this is an offer for the general public?

Not mentioned here is that when you go from 2. to 2.1 you need to have installed 2.0 net framework. I don't know if it is still included in the HS upgrade.

TCassio said:
Not mentioned here is that when you go from 2. to 2.1 you need to have installed 2.0 net framework. I don't know if it is still included in the HS upgrade.
Correct. I sort of said that in my first response above, but clarification is helpfull! :D

...make sure you have the latest .net interface BEFORE you install 2.1).

BSR,
Yes it was supposed to be a public offering but I didn't get that email either.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Ah, OK. Upstatemike, you may want to check out THIS thread also on the JDS Stargate plugin progress.
I saw it but couldn't draw any conclusions that would help me decide about the upgrade. I guess there is time since it goes to the end of the month so I'll just see how this issue plays out.

Still interested in hearing about my other concerns though... especially the VWS plugin.

Back