Homeseer vs Misterhouse

I have a working Misterhouse environment. Right now it controls lights and interfaces with my HAI thermostats. I'm researching upgrades to control audio and video, including a couple HTPCs and based on another thread I'm considering MainLobby versus a couple free options. At the same time I'm revisiting my automation software. My main goals for Automation include:
1) Lighting control (via X-10 right now) to allow me to turn stuff on and off and program different light sequences when I'm away.
2) Interface to my HAI thermostats (I've got MH able to control them)
3) Interface to my Caddx NX-8E security panel
4) Some amount of interconnection to the audio and video setup
5) Able to access the automation from outside the house to do things such as arm the alarm, monitor status, check temperature and turn down the heat, etc

I know MH has the ability to do 1, 2 and 5. There's supposed to be some code to handle 3, although I think it needs some additional work. I also know some things can be done for 4. What I'm wondering is if Homeseer would be a more complete package than MH and if it's worth the cost of upgrading? Would it give me additional integration opportunities to work with MainLobby if I went that route?

piper_chuck,
I am not aware of a Misterhouse integration with MainLobby. If someone is interested in writing a plugin, let me know. With that said, there is a powerful MLHSPlugin that ties Homeseer directly with MainLobby so that's a no brainer. I believe HS supports Caddx and HAI thermos. Both MLServer (MainLobby) and HS support X10.

MainLobby has the best theater integration so that part is handled with ML. Either HS via a webpage or ML via an installed client can access your HA setup remotely. So you have both options covered.

Between HS and ML this combo is the most powerful / all encompassing PC based HA / HT setup on the market.

Have you looked at Housebot?
http://www.housebot.com

I'm not sure about your security system, but it controls most AV stuff very well, and has a very nice GUI front end for touchpanels and PDAs. There is a connector to allow you to create your own web pages if you wish but does not include any by default (other than a sample page). Plus, it's much cheaper than the other paid-for options...

I switched from Misterhouse to Housebot, even though I still keep close tabs on Misterhouse development and would love to have a total linux-based solution as one can with MH, but I couldn't take Perl any longer.
Terry

Terry, I hear you about Perl! :lol: It seems to have lots of power, but it's not at all intuitive and it's too easy for people to write code that's incomprehensible to anyone who hasn't devoted their life to the language.

I just took a look at Housebot. It looks interesting but I couldn't find any support for the thermostats or security panel. I saw a couple posts in the forum from people thinking about doing something with Caddx, but never saw any progress. Since I've already got the stats working in MH and I know there's some code for the Caddx that I could build on, it looks like Housebot would be taking a step backward.

David, I'm just about convinced to go with ML. I looked around at some of the other choices and ML looks like the best. I'm still not sure whether to switch to HS, or stay with MH. I know with MH that the lights & HVAC are doing what I need. I would like to get the security online too, but the A/V is a higher priority. I'll have to see what enhancements HS would offer over what I have now. For now, I think I should focus on getting the A/V stuff going with ML and revisit the HS question later.

If you are happy with the MIsterHouse application and it's support of hardware drivers, then stick with it and see if one of the MH developers wants to build a MainLobby driver for 2 way interface. Then you get the best of both worlds. If MH is reliable and a good ML/ MH plugin is written then it will also be a reliable combination - like the ML/ Homeseer integration. Cinemar would be glad to work with a developer on this. Post on the MH forum and see if there is any interest.

You could also start using only MainLobby Server 3 and move your automation event logic into the new MLS3 system.

You could also switch to Homeseer from MH and purchase the MLHSPlugin which works excellent.

Lots of choices. All good ones.

I just took a look at Housebot. It looks interesting but I couldn't find any support for the thermostats or security panel.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with housebot, it's a great app but dosen't have anywhere near the following of some of the other offerings. I'm hoping that will change with the control of the product back under CeBotics instead of Meedio now.

If MH is reliable and a good ML/ MH plugin is written then it will also be a reliable combination - like the ML/ Homeseer integration

If it helps any, I successfully relayed commands and status info from MH to/from both MainLobby and Xlobby during a test late last year. I used the mhsend.pl command that comes with MH and it seemed to work well enough to make me think I could do more with it.

You could also start using only MainLobby Server 3 and move your automation event logic into the new MLS3 system.

DavidL:
Are you saying that MLserver3 does HA style events and could be though of/used as a replacement for Homeseer/Misterhouse/Other-HA-package? It MLServer still a free download?

I would love to help in anyway I could on this. I'm not married to Housebot, and as much as I loathe Perl, MH is just to versatile to ever really get away from, and I love the though of a non-Microsoft solution. Having said that, the thought of a Cinemar-only solution is a nice thought too... Then there's always CQC, too bad they don't support my poor-man's toys. ;)

Terry

Back