Hot new Sirius Conductor (Z-Wave) Satellite Radio

ChrisWalker

Have you all seen/played with the new Sirius Conductor radio (using Z-Wave) yet?

UEI and Sirius brought these out at a dinner party a few weeks ago, and they are really, really cool. Basically, you put the radio receiver part in your media cabinet, and then the remote communicates with it via Z-Wave -- and the display on the remote has a 3-line display showing the categories, station, current song, etc.

l607sch1w.jpeg

I never really liked having to turn on my TV to change channels on the Satellite Radio receiver from across the room. Now, I could do it from any room in the house--and the IR connector on the receiver would let me control the volume on my AV receiver too (all via Z-Wave, hopping through my home network).

Plus, the remote is a very nice universal remote--so you can also control your TV, DVR, etc. the old fashioned way.

Pretty nifty. This unit uses the Z-Wave "AV control" and "external screen" (aka "screen metadata") functionality, and you'll be able to control it from software applications on your PC as well.

I see that Crutchfield has it up for pre-order, and I hear that (for example) the first units will be hitting Circuit City shelves in the next few days/weeks.

Crutchfield link (direct):
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hy8laVaDeii/c....asp?i=607SCH1W

Chris

I second that. Will the SDK provide a way for developers to get the same data that is displayed on the remotes screen. It would be very nice to have the type of feedback.

Brian--yes, we're working on that.

Squintz--we're adding both the ability to change stations and the ability to display the screen via the SDK.

Chris

Hey--Circuit city has put the [Z-Wave] Sirius Conductor radio up for sale now, with an instant discount, a $30 rebate, and free shipping! It's only $112.49 (+ tax) after discounts--that's an amazing price. And they're in stock right now.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRIUS-Cond...roductDetail.do

[NOTE: there is not an affiliate link in there; you can also go to circuitcity.com and search for "Conductor".]

If any of our SDK customers are picking one of these up, please e-mail me (or post here, or on our forums, etc.) and we'll make you a beta-tester for v1.2 so you can change stations, etc.

EDIT: I just ordered one ;)

Chris

Just ordered one for my wife for X-mas. Finally Sirius has something for the house other than a car radio in a kit.

Herdfan,

I just got mine late last nigh from Circuit City. I'll be installing it today, and will post photos and "first experiences" if I get ambitious :)

Chris

I've been thinking about getting satellite radio because of the range and amount of driving I do. This could finally swing me to Sirius over XM but I do have just a few, quick questions:

How does this work with the Z-Wave network?
Do you have to add it to the network via the Master Controller?
Is the Receiver itself a Z-Wave device that can act as a repeater for other Z-Wave signals?
Is the remote that comes with it a Master Remote or does it only work with the receiver?
Where is Jimmy Hoffa buried?

Micah said:
I've been thinking about getting satellite radio because of the range and amount of driving I do. This could finally swing me to Sirius over XM but I do have just a few, quick questions:

How does this work with the Z-Wave network?
Do you have to add it to the network via the Master Controller?
Is the Receiver itself a Z-Wave device that can act as a repeater for other Z-Wave signals?
Is the remote that comes with it a Master Remote or does it only work with the receiver?
Where is Jimmy Hoffa buried?
Micah,

First of all, this is a home receiver that lives in a fixed location--so it won't work in your car :)

Q: How does this work with the Z-Wave network?
A: The receiver is a Z-Wave device which uses Z-Wave "av control" and "screen metadata." The remote controls the receiver via Z-Wave, and also has IR built into it--so it's a great universal remote for your TV, etc. as well. Also, it has an external IR CONNECT port, so you can control an amp or other device via IR (which signal is sent through the Z-Wave network and translated into IR at the receiver).

Q: Do you have to add it to the network via the Master Controller?
A: You can add the receiver to an existing network, or you can let the remote and receiver live on their own network (at which point they would be isolated from the rest of your home network). It's a standard Z-Wave device.

Q: Is the Receiver itself a Z-Wave device that can act as a repeater for other Z-Wave signals?
A: Yes.

Q: Is the remote that comes with it a Master Remote or does it only work with the receiver?
A: The remote that comes with it can act as the Primary (master), as a Secondary (slave), or as an Inclusion controller (for use with a Central (SIS) controller).

Q: Where is Jimmy Hoffa buried?
A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hoffa Choose wisely :D

The remote has a screen on it which gives the readout of the radio--and you can do the same thing with a PC or any other Z-Wave device with a display that supports the profile. You can also send standard AV commands to the receiver, and it will follow them (i.e. channel up, channel down, go to channel, etc.) We're working on an update to the Z-Wave PC/Compact/Micro SDKs to offer full support so that you can create your own personalized interface for it...

Chris

If you add the receiver to the network will the meta data be available via the charmed quark PC SDK?

The receiver remote can not control lighting devices right? Just IR devices and the sirius receiver?

Squintz:

We are working on an immediate update to the PC SDK which support AV control of the Sirius receiver, and a very nice major update which makes the external display (metadata) available to PC software.

The SIRIUS remote controls the radio (or two radios), provides an external display for it, and is a great universal IR remote. It can add/remove devices and join an existing network, but does not control lighting, blinds, or thermostats.

Chris

Here is a ZIP file of photos of the new SIRIUS receiver:

img055 -- box shot
img056 -- Z-Wave logo on back
img057 -- box contents (remote, receiver, antenna, power, cables, batteries, instructions)
img058 -- side of receiver (2nd unit connector, power, antenna, "reset"/"join" button
img060 -- the remote starts out with a very easy setup for receiver
img061 -- other side of receiver (audio RCA out, optical out, IR connector)
img062 -- radio up and running -- with display on remote!
img066 -- setup remote in action

Chris

Attachments

• sirius_photos.zip
    149.6 KB · Views: 92
Also, here's the box shot by itself. See the previous post for all the photos.

It was fun setting it up, and I have the remote controlling my TV, amplifier, receiver, and Media Center as well...

Chris

Attachments

• img055.jpg
    img055.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 48
ChrisWalker said:
Also, it has an external IR CONNECT port, so you can control an amp or other device via IR (which signal is sent through the Z-Wave network and translated into IR at the receiver).
That sounds awesome!

So if I understand this correctly, I will be able to hook up the device to my HK635 of which Zone 2 feeds the pool area. I will then be able to take my Z-wave remote outside and control both the channel on the Conductor and volume on the HK from one remote without needing an IR repeater.

If so, WOW! I currently feed the pool with XM stations via D* and have to walk into the pool room to change the station/volume since my IR receiver won't work outside in the sunlight.

With that said, can the system have 2 remotes?

Thanks. Mine should be here Thursday.

Herdfan,

Yes, that's exactly one of the things it can do. And yes, you can use two remotes--although I'm not sure how to buy an extra one separately. I already want an extra remote to use as a permanent Universal remote in the living room so I can move the main one around...

Chris

Back