House Wiring Question

dsabot

I have a 5500 square foot house that was built in the 80s and added on in the 90s. There is a main circuit breaker panel in the garage with one of the breakers that is labeled SUBPANEL A. Subpanel A is located in the middle of the house on the new extension and feed electricity to the newer part of the house, including the master suite. I purchased some Powerline Ethernet modules to try to hook a pc in one part of the house to my master bedroom. The modules wouldn't connect to one another. After moving them from outlet to outet for an hour, it seems them would only connect when both were on either the original part of the house, or the new part of the house, but not a combination. I am not sure if this iis a phase issue, or that onepart of the house is on a separate subpanel. My main concern is using Zwave or UPB devices down the road and the possible inability to turn off lights that are in the old part of the house from the new part of the house. Any ideas?

well you mentioned zwave, zwave is not PLC - so you avoid the power issues entirely (that was my reason - didn't want to risk phase, issues with my multiple subpanels in house/outbuilding/etc)

I wouldn't wory about the UPB signal not getting through a subpanel. I can control an outbuilding and even the lighting in the house across the street (still under construction...lol) from my house. Just be sure to install a phase coupler in your main panel.

Thanks for the info. Would a phase coupler work on the thernet devices or are these a beast by a different color?

I wouldn't wory about the UPB signal not getting through a subpanel. I can control an outbuilding and even the lighting in the house across the street (still under construction...lol) from my house. Just be sure to install a phase coupler in your main panel.

I don't think sub-panels are as much of a concern as circuit length and crossing phases. First I would go through the house and map out what outlets/switches are on what circuit and what phase. Then as mentioned above couple the phases with the appropriate device. Unfortunately the phase couplers are technology specific, so that won't help your Ethernet modules.

I don't think sub-panels are as much of a concern as circuit length and crossing phases. First I would go through the house and map out what outlets/switches are on what circuit and what phase. Then as mentioned above couple the phases with the appropriate device. Unfortunately the phase couplers are technology specific, so that won't help your Ethernet modules.

Thanks for the info, and homework :p I will have to see if they have something for the powerline devices, though I doubt they do. So I shouldn't have a problem if I use Z-Wave? ANd if I use UPB I should get the phase coupler?

correct

btw i was always curious when i was thinking about UPB in my outbuilding scenario... since the two 120V legs in the main panel are ultimately tied to all subpanels , i assume it doesn't really matter where the coupler goes right? If someone had no space in the entrance panel, there's no problem putting it in any subpanel down the line right (i.e. the outbuilding/pool,spa /etc)? or should it be in the first for some reason?

correct

btw i was always curious when i was thinking about UPB in my outbuilding scenario... since the two 120V legs in the main panel are ultimately tied to all subpanels , i assume it doesn't really matter where the coupler goes right? If someone had no space in the entrance panel, there's no problem putting it in any subpanel down the line right (i.e. the outbuilding/pool,spa /etc)? or should it be in the first for some reason?

FWIW, you may want to check the NEC and local codes. If you plan on putting the phase coupler in the same load center panel then make sure you get the kind that take the place of a circuit breaker. If you use the wire-in kind I think you need to land it in a separate box and wire it in to a separate circuit breaker. Regarding phase couplers in general someone once suggested not to install one until you prove that you need one.

Back