Thin automated light switches

Deephaven

I have around 50 UPB switches, but remodelling my kitchen and house. I am open to keeping what I have, changing, or adding a technology. Homeseer is also part of the house.

Currently I am mounting my switches underneath my kitchen cabinets. The electrical box chosen to keep them thin has only 7/8" of depth. My UPB switches are all 1.3" deep. Is there any technology that would work nicely with Homeseer that has a thin profile?

The other question I have is what seems to be the most long term solution in the eyes of the forum. I utilized UPB based on cost when these were put in and not I can't live without them. I am not opposed to changing the house completely but that would depend on the capability of what I can buy.

Two options during a quick search, one ZigBee and one ZWave...but you would have 1/8" thickness to spare if you could add the appropriate interface along with your UPB/Automation controller.

As far as recommending an automation lighting technology, this is highly opinionated, especially with the introduction of "matter".

Thank you. Just found the release of Matter and was reading up on it. I hadn't thought about adding a relay to a standard switch, that will work for the two switches I need to put under the cabinets.

I like a single technology for the simple reason that I don't need Homeseer to connect the two. Right now with a couple Zwave devices and a lot of UPB I need homeseer to take the trigger from my UPB switch to shut off the other lights in a scene. It would be real nice to have a "hardware" all off button.

The matter switches are super cheap. The descriptions I found online are awful....and none list dimensions. Figure I would order a couple to unbox and read the install instructions. Reading up on the matter threads here first though...

I mounted an outlet inside the cabinets using an old work electrical box. I was able to fish a romex wire from the back of the cabinet to an outlet on the splashpan wall below. You could then route the wire for the undercabinet light to that outlet so everything is still out of sight.

You could then add a controller to that outlet or replace with a controlled outlet itself. You can use an 'add-in' junction box from the hardware store for this new outlet. It's a pretty easy install if you already have existing outlets on your splashpan wall right above your kitchen counter.

You could also just add the outlet on the surface of the rear cabinet wall...just ensure you secure the romex with a clamp on the back of the junction box (found this pic on a search).
outlet.jpg

Last edited:
You might look at the offerings from Shelley. They have some very small rely type devices and can control regular switches(like the Shelly Plus 1 Mini). It's probably still too thick for such a shallow single gang box, but you might be able to use a shallow double gang box with the switch on one side and the relay on the other.

PS - most items are showing as "unavailable" in the Shelley store, but they just had a big Black Friday sale that I think must have cleaned them out of products. I ordered some flood sensors from Shelley during the sale and they show as "unavailable" now.

This is what I did for top of book shelf LED lighting controlled by UPB in 2018.

1701797987604.png

In the kitchen used small 12VDC transformers that fit inside of a kitchen light switch (4 X 4 metal box) in 2018. The modded controller is using a digital on/off dimmer pot. You can controll the power with a UPB switch and it will remember last dim level.

1701798483006.png

Also put LED lamps under the kitchen sink that turn on when opening the cabinet. (very high on the WAF).

Back