How can I get my PC to detect my driveway alarm? 12v detection?

RichTJ99

Hi,

I have a driveway alarm that is hard wired to a pico speaker in my house, the speaker makes a buzzing noise when it has power, which it only gets when the driveway alarm goes off.  I have a speaker that beeps when a car drives over the alarm.  I also have an Insteon door sensor that is set to send an email through the ISY when someone drives into the driveway.

I want to take the two wires from the speaker & daisy chain them 'somehow' to a computer so when the speaker for the driveway alarm goes off, the PC could detect the 12v dc signal then I could have it play a MP3 recording of the driveway alarm sound through the home audio system.

Is there some sort of USB device (or serial) I could use to detect the voltage change (from none to something), then make it play a mp3 when it 'senses' the voltage?

Thanks,
Rich

I am doing this with 2 driveways using Homeseer and X-10.
My speaker is 12VDC at full volume. I soldered a pair across the speaker and connected to a PUM01 (X10.com) Powerflash Alarm Interface.
Position A accepts inputs of 6-18VDC. I set my house and unit codes and created events to announce arrivals and departures and on which drive.

You could hook the 12V line directly to one of the serial handshake lines and monitor that with software to play the sound. 

Here's a different application that used the handshake lines and some perl code (link is in the comments) for Linux.  That might be a start if you want to do some programming or give you an idea.

http://jimlaurwilliams.org/wordpress/?p=1556

An Arduino board could take the 12V (with appropriate resistors for dropping the voltage) and provide a trigger via USB.

Back