How can you compete?

Great points elcano, I can see what you mean. I had been considering external motion and other sensors for a Judge's house I'm doing a bid for. Keeping them out is the most important thing to them (for obvious reasons).

Spanky, I had tried to figure out a way to use the EZ8 (since it's about 1/2 the price). But then you have to spend $100 for the dialing capabilites of the M1 Gold right? So really it's only like 150 less. As you said, it's by no means the give away model but it is a less expensive option. I know for me, it wasn't even a consideration due to the cost of getting the benefits of the M1 Gold. I need to get mine installed and the automation functional so I have a "sample" of what and how it can be.

Zang,

It seems you and I are in similar places in our business ventures. I have been dispirited by the number of ADT and Brinks signs in my neighborhood. I plan to lead with the automation and sell security as an add-on. Thanks for starting this thread, it has help me also.

Kind of off topic but relevant to selling; I have been considering how best to show an M1 system. I first thought of my home but with kids I decided I didn't want to bring customers to my house, plus it's usually a mess. I then thought of a showroom, but that's a little outside the budget for me right now. Has anyone built a portable system like HAI sells but for the M1? If so, I would like to see photos. Otherwise I may go this route and I will post a link to a blog that follows the process. I will be and EHX and will stop by the Main Lobby booth to see their setup.

I have not built a portable system yet but I do plan to do so after I finish installing my first system in my own house. I want to get a hands on feeling for what the elk is capable of. I hope to be able to take their training course in N.C. also before the end of the year.

I was thinking of a portable demo that closed up into something large but easy to carry and then could easily fold out in someones living room floor. I was thinking of putting on about two lights controlled independently and maybe a motion detector, a window senso, keypad, speaker, and phone. Also, I would bring a laptop along to demonstrate the flexability of the system. It's all still just floating around in the back of my mind right now.

I also considered using my own home as a demo home in some instances. I think that it would have more of a wow factor since I live in a townhome and it would help me portray that not only rich people can live in luxury.

To be honest I don't have enough real life information to make the best decision as how to handle the demonstration part yet. So I am just taking it one step at a time for now.

For those that visit us at the EHX show, ELK has provided us a M1Gold in a briefcase for demo purposes. Works great! There are six mini switches to trigger zones and actions, a mini battery, a telephone connector, keypad and control unit.

See it at Cinemar booth 1741!

DavidL said:
For those that visit us at the EHX show, ELK has provided us a M1Gold in a briefcase for demo purposes. Works great! There are six mini switches to trigger zones and actions, a mini battery, a telephone connector, keypad and control unit.

See it at Cinemar booth 1741!
Now that sounds exciting. Can't wait to see it at the show.

I assume you will have MainLobby controlling it!

Any idea of the cost of that kind of setup?

Larry in Denver

That would be great if ELK plans to offer something like that to their dealers.

I've really been putting some thought into some sort of portable showroom but I will definately wait to see what is at EHX.

I agree that a mobile platform for demo would be SWEET but don't expect someone else to do the work for you. I would like to see the set up DavidL suggested mentioned and try to build something like it for sales. If Elk ever came out with that offering for dealers at a reasonable price I would definately look at getting one. That would have so many advantages that a full display wouldn't that it would be a GREAT asset. Especially with automation.

Zang said:
I agree that a mobile platform for demo would be SWEET but don't expect someone else to do the work for you.

I don't expect that. It would just be a great starting point if someone has already packaged the basics and one could add on the features they want to showcase.

The first thing I'm trying to find is a good case to house the display in. It would need to be rugged but I don't really want it to look too "Industrial". I kind of like some of the offerings from Pelican but I have only looked around a little. With a deep enough box, the guts could be down below with a nice panel in the top. I would like something a little nicer than the foam panel HAI uses.

It seems like this might be a good project to collaborate on since there are a few people interested. I'm not really going to do much before EHX but it might be worth kicking the idea around a little.

Thoughts?

Back