How Do I Capture Security Video?

digisolo

Hello,

My car has been broken into several times now, so I went out and bought a samsung cctv system. What I would like to be able to do is record the output to my pc, and have the video recycle every 24hrs. The cctv monitor has video out (for a VCR), and it is connected to my ATI AIW 9600XT. So I can view the video on my pc, I just need to find a way to capture it for 24hrs, delete the file, and continue capturing automatically. I have tried using windows media encoder, but I'm not sure if it is possible to automatically recycle the video. I have 2 300GB Maxtors in RAID 0 for storage. I would really appreciate it if anyone who has done something similar could give me some advice. Is there a program that will do this, or any special settings for encoding for WME9? Thanks.

hi digisolo, welcome to CocoonTech!

While there are several good software solutions out there, I personally prefer Active Webcam since it is so flexible, and does have many security features. Download the trial and check it out for yourself, the trial isn't crippled. I use it to monitor my driveway, and it works great! Good luck with your car.

Another thing to consider, though more advanced (not sure how much you are into home automation) is you could place a motion detector or DS10A with contacts monitoring the doors and be able to tell "when" someone was in your car. This could maybe enable your recording method so you get the highest resolution and are not truely dependent on "motion detection".

Maybe even turn on some outside lighting if that happened.

Back