How do IP cameras work as to IP address?

upstatemike said:
Madma_from_maui said:
Of course if you're using more than one camera, or have other devices that use port 80, you will have to assign different IP addresses for each device to be accessed from outside the network. Not only that, most IP cameras with audio and PTZ have multiple port numbers, a port for audio, video, and the operation of the PTZ. All these ports must be different also. Changing the ports on the IP cameras themselves is the easy part, the hard part is configuring your router for these ports. You will need to use the advanced feature in your router, usually for gamers, and create a profile for each device or camera with the appropriate port range and local IP address so these devices can be found using the WAN.
Madma_from_maui -

I'm going to get you to help me when I'm ready to configure my router to view cameras. I understand that each camera will be on a different port for the outside address and each camera will have a different inside address but can the inside address stay at port 80? Will a router forward my outside address of say xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8081 to say inside address 192.168.0.55:80 ? or would it have to be 192.168.0.55:8081 ?
When you set up your cameras in the router, you assign each camera a local IP address (dlink 192.168.0.1 range) and each of these IP addresses will be assigned a range of ports depending on the camera. Most cameras only need one port, and that would be the public port which the default is 80. The dlink ptz 5300 for example, has a public port plus ports 5001 to 5003..

If you plan on doing many projects, you will need to develop a systematic way of setting your IP addresses and ports for your cameras, that way you know automatically that whatever the project, camera # 3s IP address is going to be 192.168.0.13: 13 and the public port number is 13. So if you have a static IP assigned to you by your ISP, you just take that number separated by a : and the number 13 and you connect to the camera. Or maybe you have a dynamic IP address which you track using a third-party like dyndns.net, it could be mauijms.podzone.org:13 by the same process you can always find your cameras archiving server, which also has to be set up in the router -- mauijims.podzone.org:3

I live on the island of Maui and low temperatures are not an issue for me.
I would like to stop by and talk to you about your experiences with the Toshiba camera. Are you going to be home, in, let's say, January?

MRL said:
I live on the island of Maui and low temperatures are not an issue for me.
I would like to stop by and talk to you about your experiences with the Toshiba camera. Are you going to be home, in, let's say, January?
:) I am always here in January, that's the one month you are guaranteed I'll be here

Back