How I'm feeding the Elk and other devices into the stock Elk speakers with a mixer

signal15

Since a couple people PM'd me on this, here's what I'm doing.  I have an Android phone doing my voice alerts instead of the Elk (via Vera Alerts, you need a Vera for this).  But I still want the Elk to be able to use the speakers.  I bought a cheap line level converter from the car audio installation dept at Best Buy for $15-20.  Model number is TC-LOC2.  It's NOT in the store, it's in the car audio install bay.  I hooked one side of this to the Elk.  Walmart sells these also, but the ones I saw all required power or were like 8 channels.  I tried making one from a PDF that Elk provided to me for converting the output to line level, but the sound quality was horrible (I later figured out I used too small of a capacitor).

Make sure you order some 3.5mm male->male cords to hook things up, and you'll also need some of the big phono plug to 3.5mm adapters.  Here's my order list from Parts express, I ordered some extra stuff (like 2 amps and some extra cables and adapters):

091-1025 DAYTON ADQS-3.5S 1/4" STEREO M TO 3.5MM STEREO F ADAPTER
092-157 REAN NYS231BG 3.5MM STEREO PLUG BLACK WITH GOLD PLUG
240-052 3.5MM MALE TO MALE SLIM-PLUG SHIELDED AUDIO CABLE 3 FT.
248-6304 BEHRINGER MX400 MICROMIX 4-CH LINE MIXER
310-300 LEPAI LP-2020A+ TRIPATH CLASS-T HI-FI AUDIO AMP W/POWER SUPP

Also keep in mind that your Elk is mono, and that all this stuff you're ordering is stereo.  You're only going to use one channel on the amp, the other will not be hooked up to anything.

The mixer does not convert to stereo.  So you'll have:
- Elk into the right channel on mixer port 1
- Android into both channels on mixer port 2
- Output from the mixer on both channels to the amp
- Speakers hooked ONLY to the right channel on the amp.  (if you hooked them to the left, you wouldn't hear the Elk but you'd still hear the Android since it outputs stereo)

Go buy or make a male RCA to male 3.5mm mono plug to go from the Elk/line-level converter to the mixer.  Radio shack should have these.  I just found some parts in a bin and made one.

You need to pay attention to the speaker load when hooking them up.  If you've got a bunch of the small 32 ohm speakers, you can connect up to 8 of them in parallel (that will be a 4 ohm load).  If you've got some of the bigger speakers that are 8ohm, then you could only connect 2 of them in parallel.  I have a mixture of stuff, so I paralleled all of my 32 ohm speakers, put my 2 8ohm speakers in series, and then paralled the 8ohm speaker loop with the 32 ohm speakers.  I figured it out and it gave me like 5.63 ohms.  If you get the ohm rating too low, you'll burn up the amp.  I think this amp is 4 ohm stable, so don't go below that.

I think the Elk is 2ohm stable, so the way your speakers are connected now might be fine for the Elk, but not for this amp.

Do some testing to figure out the gain on the mixer.  I kept my Elk and my Android both at half volume, and then set the mixer appropriately.  If you set the Elk or the Android too high, you'll get hiss.  I still get a tiny bit of hiss, but it's only noticeable on the larger Elk speakers for some reason, and these are in the garage, and the basement near a loud server rack.  So I don't hear them.  Even the one in the garage is pretty hard to hear, you have to be a couple of feet from it to hear it.

Also, these little Tripath amps are awesome.  I ordered 2 and have one hooked up to some 12" Cerwin Vega floor speakers, and it sounds amazing.  Especially for $20.

Nice setup signal15.

Just for grins HERE is what I did to get the Elk to output pre-amp sound levels that someone might want to reference also with your post.  Great work! :)

Big517 said:
Any reason not to convert mono to stereo?

This would make sense if you were using a real whole-house speaker system.  But I'm currently using the Elk speakers, which are just mono.

At some point I'm going to hook up all of my real speakers, and I'll get a remotely controllable mixer to feed not only the alerts into it, but also music and other stuff.

But if you convert the sources to mono before feeding into the amp it should play the same source on both left and right channels.
I figured a mono (single rca from line level converter ) to rca to mono 1/4 plug into the amp should output to both channels. Maybe I'm wrong but i have a good feeling I'm right. Oddly enough i received the European version of the mixer so i had no power supply but should have the new one this week and will experiment with it . I plan to reduce volume on my Sonos systems during announcements via the Vera, then restore previous volume after the announcement is complete.
I would ideally let my sonos amps handle the announcements via "say" but i do not like the google tts voice, and the delay is to much to bear if you are using streaming audio.

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing.  If you're using the Elk speakers, they are mono, not stereo.  So converting the Elk input to stereo would do nothing for you.  But then you say you're using the Sonos amps...  So why did you buy the amp I posted above?

As far as delay with the android TTS voice, there's none on my system.  It's instantaneous.

I'm going to use that amp to power all the elk speakers. You should be able to use use both channels if you use a mono 1/4" plug into the mixer from the elk. The output from a mono source with play through both channels so you could use one channel for your 32 ohm speakers and the other channel for the 8 ohm or another circuit of speakers.
I'm picturing you only using half of your amp when you can use the whole thing by swapping your 1/4" stereo plug with a mono one.

Regarding the tts, it works great on a single device but a little painful with a group of Sonos devices. Sometimes taking up to 15 second to restore all playback and vol levels. I do know they are working on that part of the plugin so I'm sure it's only temporary.

I don't like the noise that comes from elk voice (low bitrate?) But some of it is necessary. Mainly Vera Alerts through the old android phone will output voice alerts / announcements and weather (thanks to your code) to the mixer also.

Ah, that makes more sense now.  Yes, you could convert to stereo if you wanted to split banks of Elk speakers between the two channels.

Everything working great... Only question is do you also have a light "pop" a few seconds after the Voice is spoken via VeraAlerts?  Wondering how to suppress this without cutting power after each announcement.
I'm also noticing a constant "white noise" that is only present at higher volume levels.  This is from the ELK to Line converter as it dissapears when I disconnect that channel.  I'm wondering if connecting the ground will eliminate that but I don't see an obvious "ground" location on the panel so I'm not experimenting there.    

Thanks,

Big517 said:
Everything working great... Only question is do you also have a light "pop" a few seconds after the Voice is spoken via VeraAlerts?  Wondering how to suppress this without cutting power after each announcement.
I'm also noticing a constant "white noise" that is only present at higher volume levels.  This is from the ELK to Line converter as it dissapears when I disconnect that channel.  I'm wondering if connecting the ground will eliminate that but I don't see an obvious "ground" location on the panel so I'm not experimenting there.    

Thanks,

Nope, no pops on mine.  What is the volume on your stuff set at?  Mine is:

Elk - 5 (I think)
Android - Just under 50%
Mixer channel for Elk - 4
Mixer channel for Android - 6.75
Volume on Amp - 75%

I do have a tiny bit of white noise, but only if I put my ear within a couple feet of the speaker.  Otherwise it's inaudible.  My Elk is not grounded.  

I would try reducing the volume on the Elk, and upping the mixer to compensate.  Or vice-versa.  

Did you get the same line level converter that I mentioned above?  Because when I built one, I had popping issues.

The audio pop is from the android and the white noise (audible only within a feet). I think the problem is that I have volume 100 on android. I'll change that and see if it clears up. So you have any Sonos equipment? Have you tried running through there?

Big517 said:
The audio pop is from the android and the white noise (audible only within a feet). I think the problem is that I have volume 100 on android. I'll change that and see if it clears up. So you have any Sonos equipment? Have you tried running through there?
No Sonos equipment.  But definitely don't put the volume on the Android at 100%.  Those amp chips distort at high volumes, as do most.

Back