How many CO Detectors does one really need?

shenandoah75

GE's documentation on the 240-COE states that CO detectors should be placed in every bedroom and each floor of the house.

We have a direct vent fireplace, range, dryer all on propane. All sources are on the first floor and vent through garage attic to exterior. Ya i'm probably being overly safe n that propane should be clean burning, but for $100, i think it's worth the investment just for piece of mind. Before reading this i was planning on putting one in the hall between fireplace and master bedroom and the other in the hall between laundry and kitchen. Nothing on the second story...

Do i really need detectors where i see almost 0 risk of the issue? Maybe just one at top of the stairs?

thx
-brad

My overriding theory with all things security-related is that too much is never enough.

I accept that I can't even see overkill from where I'm at with some things, probably falling short of the mark on others so I may have a weak link but the more I hang out here and learn from the wise men, the more I shore up.

Of course, even i think one in every BR is a little much; nothing there will generate CO. Smokes is different.

GE's documentation on the 240-COE states that CO detectors should be placed in every bedroom and each floor of the house.

We have a direct vent fireplace, range, dryer all on propane. All sources are on the first floor and vent through garage attic to exterior. Ya i'm probably being overly safe n that propane should be clean burning, but for $100, i think it's worth the investment just for piece of mind. Before reading this i was planning on putting one in the hall between fireplace and master bedroom and the other in the hall between laundry and kitchen. Nothing on the second story...

Do i really need detectors where i see almost 0 risk of the issue? Maybe just one at top of the stairs?

thx
-brad

Many times bedrooms are over garages etc. which is one reason. CO is evenly weighted with air if I remember correctly. It does not necessarily rise but will follow airflow. So if there is airflow from a source of CO it may not necessarily be where you are thinking it is coming from. It could be a neighbors house even drifting into yours through a vent or open window.

I have a CO detector in each bedroom, the hallway, the main and lower levels. Thats 6 connected to my alarm panel and 2 standalone as redundancy in a 3 bedroom house. I have 7 smoke detectors connected to my alarm system and another 4 standalone as redundancy. My house is about 2500 sq feet tops.

You might trip over a toy in my house but your are not likely to die in a fire or from CO.

Remember to figure your cost of each CO detector by replacing it every six years. System Sensor has a life expectancy of six years then must be replaced. I did a quick search for the GE and found a bunch of recall notices and a blurb about an end of life sensor.

Remember to figure your cost of each CO detector by replacing it every six years. System Sensor has a life expectancy of six years then must be replaced. I did a quick search for the GE and found a bunch of recall notices and a blurb about an end of life sensor.

I just use stand-alone devices, which are cheaper. Their purpose is to alert occupants to a problem so they can get fresh air and be aware of the problem. I myself don't see a need to hook these to a monitored alarm unless you just want to make use of its battery backup. The fire department shouldn't be notified for a CO problem.

I just use stand-alone devices, which are cheaper. Their purpose is to alert occupants to a problem so they can get fresh air and be aware of the problem. I myself don't see a need to hook these to a monitored alarm unless you just want to make use of its battery backup. The fire department shouldn't be notified for a CO problem.

Many CO detectors have a "5" year life. Several including Quantum, Napco, System Sensor now rate them for 6 years.

I feel you do want the Fire Department notified. If you are asleep and the CO detector goes off you MAY NOT WAKE UP. If the Fire Dept is notified they will get you out (once the cops give them permission to break in unless they see you lying on the floor or something).

They are not cheap but they are life safety devices.

I encourage everyone to have a CO detector. Each house is different, but if you have combustion appliances, fireplaces, or attached garages, IMHO you should have a minimum of one CO detector per floor.

Remember: most outlets don't spark, and most electrical cables/cords don't short, the vast majority of laptops don't catch on fire (unless they have a sony battery!!!), and most cats don't tip over a ashtray. However, we install smoke detectors because when things don't work correctly, you want to know about it ASAP in order to get to safety. Even if properly installed, maintained, inspected, you should treat your combustion appliances as having potential flaws and take some minimal precautions. Since you don't know how the CO might work its way into your house, you should take appropriate precautionary steps.

One complaint I have about plug-in CO detectors is that most don't work during power-outages; the majority of accidental CO deaths/poisonings occur during power outages. Buy units that work 24x7; even if you're smart-enough not to run a generator (or BBQ grill) in your garage during a power outtage, doesn't mean the next person to buy your house is.

Also, rememeber that local codes vary.... significantly, and may require more.

Thanks for the reminder on CO detector replacement.

I have no idea how old my CO detectors are ( I think 6 years), but when I read the back, it reads that it will beep twice if the detector needs to be replaced.

Since they don't beep, I'm assuming the CO detectors are okay.

Just to be safe, I bought a plug in CO detector with battery backup last night anyway.

I hope the CO detectors self tests are sufficient in telling owners when to replace them, because there's no "expiration" date on the detectors.

Back