how many gang boxes?

v1rtu0s1ty

ok guys, for the family room, assuming we are going to run 3 runs cat5e, 1 run 18/2, 1 runs 16/4 speaker wire for keypad, volume control, inwall infrared, intercom, how many gang boxes do I need and should I use double?

Thanks,

Ronneil

It depends on how you will use it, and how many pairs for say speakers.

In my living room I have two, four-gang setups to cover the audio, video and IR setups.

It sounds like the 16/4 is for one pair of speakers only.
The reference to volume control is either tied to the speaker wire, or speaker wire and a cat5e. I'll assume the latter.
The keypad I'm assuming is another cat5e.
The infrared is for a reciever or a blaster? Was that assuming the last cat5e?

Volume Control = 16/4 + cat5e
Keypad = cat5e
inwall infrared = cat5e

What is the 18/2 for?

In regards to single or double gang, if this is for the controls themselves(not sure which keypad) then wouldnt this be 2 gang (assuming it is a one gang keypad)? One for the keypad and one for the volume control and assuming the in wall ir is built in to one of the two.

Hope this helps, need to run but I will try to look at your other posts to look at what you were putting in.

If I remember correctly, 18/2 is to be used for power. It's going to be used if I want Intercom in the room too. I will have to dig in my post. It was toymaster suggestion that an 18/2 be ran too.

For the IR in wall, I will be buying the xantech brand.

the 18/2 is more of a future proofing if you ever want a touch screen to replace the keypad or any other power type requirement. Since you are already running all this wire there it will cost nothing extra in labor just the cost of the wire.

toymaster458 said:
the 18/2 is more of a future proofing if you ever want a touch screen to replace the keypad or any other power type requirement. Since you are already running all this wire there it will cost nothing extra in labor just the cost of the wire.
thanks toymaster. Since I will have many extra 18/4 firewire leftovers, I can use it right?

So do you have the equipment picked out that will go here? By this I mean which keypad, which volume control, and which IR eye (may be integrated into one of the previous)?

Or is this in preparation for that in the future?

I would expect the choices in this regard to be driven by those selections.

I went with Xantech for IR distribution, and have been pleased. I have not used any of the keypads or anything like that however.

Mike said:
So do you have the equipment picked out that will go here? By this I mean which keypad, which volume control, and which IR eye (may be integrated into one of the previous)?

I went with Xantech for IR distribution, and have been pleased. I have not used any of the keypads or anything like that however.
Yep, I have not decided yet on the equipments. So wiring is for future proofing.

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Mike said:

Yep, I have not decided yet on the equipments. So wiring is for future proofing.
That is a hard call.

I'm no expert here, but you need to allow for the possibility that either one of those pieces (although most likely the keypad) can be two gang.

What might work is to make a note of where the wires are terminated and just leave them behind the wall until you know, then you do what is right based on the equipment selection.

You cannot hook power up, but if you leave inactive low voltage wiring behind the sheetrock, I am not aware of a concern or code violation with that. I would try and do this if you have an option, as chances are you will need to fix whatever you plan for now later anyway...

Either that or do a one gang installation and know that you will need to expand it most likely when you put the equipment in. Alternately, if you suspect you will wind up with a small keypad that is one gang and a one gang volume control, then a dual gang setup would make sense.

Hope this helps.

Yep, you are right. I have a strong feeling that in the future, I will wack out small part of the wall due to wrong gang box. It's ok with me but not wife. :D But it's still me who's going to fix it. Hehehe.

For now, double gang box is safe then. :lol:

Back