How to add a "Gang" to an existing 3-Gang Switch

Scott12v

I've been searching high and low for an answer to this, but have come up dry.

In order to use something like a ZWave scene controller, I'd like to add a fourth gang to my existing 3 gang switchbox.

I have no problems with wiring any of this...that isn't the issue. What I can't figure out how to do is physically add the fourth gang. I know they make add-ons for low voltage switches, but I can't find anything similar for a 120V device.

I also know they make old-work boxes, but those don't seem applicable to what I'm trying to do. They let you add a new switch, but not to an existing switchbox.

Any ideas? This seems like it would be a common thing to do for Home Automation, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks,
Scott

I've been searching high and low for an answer to this, but have come up dry.

In order to use something like a ZWave scene controller, I'd like to add a fourth gang to my existing 3 gang switchbox.

I have no problems with wiring any of this...that isn't the issue. What I can't figure out how to do is physically add the fourth gang. I know they make add-ons for low voltage switches, but I can't find anything similar for a 120V device.

I also know they make old-work boxes, but those don't seem applicable to what I'm trying to do. They let you add a new switch, but not to an existing switchbox.

Any ideas? This seems like it would be a common thing to do for Home Automation, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks,
Scott

I had to do this at a couple locatiosn in my home (though I went from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3 - not 3 to 4). My solution was simple but messy - rip out the new box, and install a larger old work box.

Out of curiosity, how did you rip out that old box, wasn't it nailed into a stud? Or did you remove a full size sheetrock panel?

You might find some answers in this thread, where I went from a 1 to 2 gang box. I was going to include pics, but it ended up being so easy I didn't bother.

To answer you, Dan, you can either pry it off (which I did) if it was nailed in straight, or you can use a hacksaw blade to cut it loose.

Out of curiosity, how did you rip out that old box, wasn't it nailed into a stud? Or did you remove a full size sheetrock panel?

Similar to Beelzerob's experience, it was easier than I thought. I was able to pry the boxes away from he stud using a strong flat-head screwdiver. My boxes were actually a "harder" plastic than the more flexible old works boxes that replaced them - I was able to pretty much break them apart with a pair of pliers and simply pull chunks out of the wall. I then enlarged the hole with a drywall saw, and simply slid my new old-work box in.

Now, I'm a fairly impatient person, but I was able to do this in 3 or 4 locations without any kind of drywall repair needed. I did mark up my trim in a couple of locations, but a bit of wood filler and paint fixed that up easily.

The hardest part for me was actually getting the old box out of the wall once I'd removed it from the stud. The nails were on the top and bottom, so the whole assembly was bigger than the existing hole. I ended up just widening the hole a small amount on top and bottom, making sure to stay within the confines of the faceplace area, and that was enough to wiggle it out.

Thanks everyone. I kind of figured that this was going to be the answer, but hoped that there would be something easier.

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to design a new kind of gang-box!

Thanks everyone. I kind of figured that this was going to be the answer, but hoped that there would be something easier.

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to design a new kind of gang-box!

I've ripped out old boxes and put in the old work boxes too and it works, but it can be a pain. The only other thing I might suggest that could be a little easier is simply replacing one of your existing switches with the scene controller. Then use an inline module in another place to control the light. One of the buttons on the scene controller can then control the light.

Brett

Back