How to configure Sentrol Glass Breaks with Elk M1

CORT

Hello, I am trying to figure out the best way to configure my Sentrol Glass break detectors with my M1 panel. The glass break sensors are the round models that have normally closed contacts.

At the moment, I have the glass break detectors configured individually (home run) without EOLR as "normally closed" and "24 hour burgular" devices. Is there a better way to configure them? Maybe add the EOLR? They are presently powered from the ELK's VAUX tap.

Second, when an individual glass break sensor is triggered, its LED operates differently to show that it was the one set off. I would like to be able to power cycle the glass break sensors to reset this memory. Is there a good way to do this? I suppose that I could use the SAUX tap from the M1 panel, but then I have to configure the glass break detector as a smoke detector and I worry that this has adverse implications for reporting events accurately to a central monitoring station (i.e. break-in reported as a fire). I could put a relay on the power output, but then I have to somehow tell the system to ignore the sensors for a few seconds during a power cycle of the glass break detectors. Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks.

There is no 'better' way - it's kind of personal preference. I would not bother with an EOL and I would probably only have mine set as "Burglary Perimeter Instant" rather than 24 hour, but like I said, that's just a personal choice on how you want them to behave.

As far as resetting the LED, sure, you can setup a relay with a rule that activates with a keypad button or something, but how often to you expect them to trip. IMHO GB's are like insurance policies, they only go off in the rare case of an actual break in and then only when thru glass. So, it would or should be very rare for them to trip. In keeping with the KISS principle I would hook them to Vaux and if they needed to be reset I would simply power cycle the panel.

Now if you have them on 24/7 and your kids regularly put baseballs through the window or your spouse is regularly breaking your fine (or not so fine) china and you want to keep track of that, then that's a different story - but then, that's how it becomes a 'personal' decision. :)

I suppose that I could use the SAUX tap from the M1 panel, but then I have to configure the glass break detector as a smoke detector and I worry that this has adverse implications for reporting events accurately to a central monitoring station (i.e. break-in reported as a fire).
You do not have to configure the zone as a smoke detector to use the SVAUX terminals. When you do a smoke detector reset it drops voltage to the SVAUX terminals for a few seconds no matter what is connected to them.

You do not have to configure the zone as a smoke detector to use the SVAUX terminals. When you do a smoke detector reset it drops voltage to the SVAUX terminals for a few seconds no matter what is connected to them.

Thank you for the suggestion. I thought of this, but the only problem is that wouldn't the alarm go off if the power to the glass breaks is cycled in this fashion? It's a normally closed circuit. I think the panel would need to ignore the associated zones with a SAUX power cycle to keep from alarming.

I guess my best solution is to leave it alone and power cycle the panel to reset.

I have these glassbreaks (one hooked up so far). I've done some testing by clapping really hard only a foot away to trip them. I don't recall having to turn off the panel to get the LED to turn off. I think disarming the system turned the LED off. Although, if that is true I don't know what the mechanism is that makes that happen. I definitely know I never turned the panel off after my testing. Yet, the LED is not on anymore. Now that I think of it, maybe there is a timeout period built into the circuit board on these glassbreaks that turns the LED off after a period of time. In any event, I think you are trying to invent complexity that is not needed.

Thank you for the suggestion. I thought of this, but the only problem is that wouldn't the alarm go off if the power to the glass breaks is cycled in this fashion? It's a normally closed circuit. I think the panel would need to ignore the associated zones with a SAUX power cycle to keep from alarming.

I guess my best solution is to leave it alone and power cycle the panel to reset.
I don't put glass breaks on a 24 hour zone in normally occupied areas of a residence. Therefore, resetting them when the M1 isn't armed won't cause the glass break to alarm. Which glass break are you using that has a latching circuit? If you have any M1XIN's I wouldn't recommend using the power cycle to reset. Any 24 hour zones such as tampers will go into alarm when connected to an M1XIN and doing a power reset. It takes a little while for the M1XIN to settle in after a power reset.

Back