How To Install Alarm Contact On Vinyl Single Hung Windows

ccmichaelson

New construction... Windows are single hung Pella vinyl windows (250 series). I assume I should run the wire on either side of the window (bottom half which slides up/down) but what method(s) and sensor(s) do you recommend on how to install them

The easiest one to install is the  Mini-Surface mount  Pill Switch with Leads, and its better if you put them in the side of the window. 

If you're installing EOLR's, I'd use something like a Honeywell PAL-T. If not, something like a Sentrol/GE 1138T or contemporary counterpart.

I'm not too keen on the pill style sensors or any that don't have a buffer for the cable entry. Too difficult to strip cable cleanly and get into terminal blocks while looking neat.

Note:  I have never install alarm sensors so I need a little more advise.  Where exactly do I run the wire (prior to sheetrock going up)?  Bottom side of window or on the side?  Do I drill a hole through the studs/window jamb now or later?  Do I pull the wire through the studs now?  If so what happens when the finish carpenter installs the trim and my wire is sticking out?

Pictures would be most helpful!

Best would be to have extension jambs installed before the walls closed and drill sideways thru. I don't like the aesthetics of wire running straight down then doing a 90 into the contact if at all possible.

Barring that, you're going to need to pull through the framing and speak to the GC in this case so you can work with the trimmer to get your wire where it needs to be, serviceable and look right.

If you're dealing with rough framing, drill larger than you normally would for a finished hole/retrofit. At least 3/8" or 1/2" to give yourself something to work with. Leave some slack in walls and then about 1-2' coiled up through rough framing.

Pardon for being a noob...  I'm not sure what an extension jamb is but currently all I see are 2x4's or 2x6's surrounding the window opening (window hasn't even been installed yet).  I can run wire either down the side of the window (which assumes I'll install the contact on the side) and drill a hole through the stud(s) or I can come up through the bottom of the window.  

Are you suggesting that I drill a 3/8" hole through the stud(s) but leave the wire rolled up (couple feet) inside the stud cavity?  Who pulls the wire through the stud(s) prior to the sheetrockers?  Guess I can coordinate with GC on that but would just like to understand the workflow a little better.

Windows need to be in.

Get the wire into the stud bay first, then finalize once your builder has the windows installed. Preferably, once the window is in, there should be an extension jamb installed, or maybe sheetrock in your area of the country, to fill up the rest of the framing area where the window doesn't sit, vinyl windows generally never are the full stud cavity "deep". Leave about 1-2' in the cavity and another 1-2' pushed through the framing.

The wire needs to be through the framing to it's final location. From that point, either it's an act of faith or communication with the next contractor that is working around the windows or due diligence on your part.

Back