How to make a baisc water sensor that will cut off electricity

ghurty

My mother has a washing machine that is always overflowing and flooding.

I want to maybe make a water sensor that will cut off electricity to the washing machine when triggered.

I dont need any other HA equipment/features.

Any suggestion for an inexpensive way to go about this?

THanks

The cheapest way I can think of is a cai webcontrol, plus a relay, plus gri 2800. Plug GRI into one of the cai 5v outputs and plug the other side to one of the analog inputs. Use a ttl level relay (ebay "pic relay") connected to one of the ttl outputs. Write a plc code in the cau that activates the relay when it detects anything above about 2 or 3 volts on the analog input. This setup is probably going to cost you $60.

Of course this won't help you if a pipe bursts.

Or, you might consider a new washer that doesn't overflow.

Or, you might consider this http://www.watts.com/pages/learnAbout/intelliflow.asp It is about $200.

Why not just have the washer repaired? Its probably just the timer. You might be able to DIY it by ordering the parts online, I'd guess that a even a service call would be cheaper than rigging something up to kill the power when it breaks...and still having to clean up the mess every time.

Terry

My mother has a washing machine that is always overflowing and flooding.
I want to maybe make a water sensor that will cut off electricity to the washing machine when triggered.

Another poster suggested fixing the washing machine which makes sense.. but even a machine working well can stop working out of the blue, or you might have a burst hose, etc. FloodStop is another product that will automatically shut off the water supply in case of any water on the ground around the machine. Plus you could take the output relay and use it to trigger an appliance module or something to shut off the washing machine power as well if necessary.

Why not just have the washer repaired? Its probably just the timer. You might be able to DIY it by ordering the parts online, I'd guess that a even a service call would be cheaper than rigging something up to kill the power when it breaks...and still having to clean up the mess every time.

Terry

I guess the only excuse that she gives me for not getting rid of it is "sentimental value"

Can't remember who makes it, maybe watercop or similar, but there is a unit that plumbs in and replaces the shutoffs for a washer, has a sensor tied in as well as a usage sensor, so it'll kill the valves on a event as well as when the washer is not being used.

Think I saw TOH install one before.

Ditto on repairing the washer as well.

"fixing the washing machine which makes sense.. but even a machine working well can stop working out of the blue"

I had a washer once, perfectly fine in every way, that got a piece of copper pipe solder caught in the diaphragm of the cold water solenoid valve. It could not shut the water off so it kept filling and filling. After the drum was filled, it ran until my downstairs was covered with 2 inches of water when I discovered it! And I was home at the time.

So there are a lot of scenarios that can happen. This would be a tough one to monitor.

http://www.smarthome.com/71151/Washing-Machine-Valve-Shutoff-Kit-Leak-Detector/p.aspx

see my link in first post

I looked at that Watts device:

One would think that if they are feeding power through the device that they would also cut power to the washer upon detecting water. This seems like a feature that may be valuable so you don't pump out the washer contents onto the floor.

Back on topic...Is the washer in an area where a washer pan could be fitted? This would make sense if the unit is leaking internally or overflows.

I looked at that Watts device:

One would think that if they are feeding power through the device that they would also cut power to the washer upon detecting water. This seems like a feature that may be valuable so you don't pump out the washer contents onto the floor.

Back on topic...Is the washer in an area where a washer pan could be fitted? This would make sense if the unit is leaking internally or overflows.

It would seem that it doesn't shut the power off, it just opens the valves when the unit is drawing current which appears to be the only reason it has the pass through plug. So I guess a drain hose that comes loose while pumping out the dirty water would still be a problem. The failure to stop filling once full should be taken care of by this device. If the unit has an actual leak, well that just isn't consistent with being able to use the machine at all.

A pan isn't a bad idea, but they are kind of ugly and you can stub your toe on them.

Personally, I have a gri2800 behind the washer connected to Elk and a whole house cutoff valve. I could still get hit with maybe 20 gallons or so on the floor if the drain line comes loose, but I can live with that.

The Intelliflow has an optional leak sensor you can put on the floor for a secondary method of detecting a leak. It's shown on the page Lou linked to...a little ways down.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

For those that asked, for what ever reason (im not sure myself) the washing machine drains into a sink. Not it appears that the washing machine outputs a lot of lint. So my mother put a lit shield over the drain, but sometimes it gets clogged up and the whole sink over flows. I would put the sensor in the sink someway up so that if it is overflowing it will cut off the waterflow or shut off the sink.

THanks

How about putting the lint sensor on the exhaust hose of the washer instead? They make ones specially designed for that purpose. If that were to clog it would prevent the washer from draining instead of overflowing the sink.

Also, are you on septic? If not, just let the lint go down the sewer.

Back