How to Replace/Upgrade the Hard Drive in a DM ECO4

Sacedog

Well, this took me A LOT of time to figure out on my own, so I thought I would post it here, since I know some of you are using an ECO4 with Elk RM or TS07s. My Father-in-law's ECO4 stopped working, and after doing some research, I found out that the hard drive needed replacing.

Here are the steps:

1) Get a new IDE hard drive. From what I read, I would stick with a 160GB or less, and an 8MB buffer or less.
2) Connect the hard drive to a PC, and power up the PC.
3) In Windows Disk Management, create a new primary partition on the drive, using all available space.
4) Use Fat32Formatter to format the disk (apparently Windows format does not work, although I did not test this). You can download it from here: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/
5) Shut down the computer, disconnect the drive from your computer, and install it into the DVR.
6) If you do not have an IP address set up for your DVR, or have forgotten it, connect the DVR to your PC with a null modem cable, and use Hyper Terminal to connect to it. Once you connect the cable, boot up the DVR, and let it finish loading. Press Esc Esc Esc Enter to get to the C:> prompt. Type in "up towngirl" without the quotes, and press enter. Type in "IP SET aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa mmm.mmm.mmm.mmm ggg.ggg.ggg.ggg" where the a is the ip address you wish to set, the m is the subnet mask, and the g is the gateway. Press Enter. Type in "IP SHOW" to verify that the IP address was set correctly.
7) Shutdown the DVR, disconnect the null modem cable, plug it into your network, and boot it back up.
8) Download the current software for your DVR from Dedicated Micros here: http://www.dedicatedmicros.com/software_re...ex_firmware.php
9) Unzip the software to your computer's hard drive, and run the FTP application included with the software.
10) Type in the IP address of the DVR into the FTP application, click Download, and wait for the blue bar at the bottom to finish.
11) Once done, power down the DVR, and unplug it. Wait for 10 seconds.
12) Power up the DVR, at which point it will automatically rebuild the drive.
13) After a short wait, it should boot into the normal menu.

I tried this twice now with two different drives, and it worked great. If you are upgrading your drive to a larger one, you can disconnect your old drive, and keep it as a backup.

Well, this took me A LOT of time to figure out on my own, so I thought I would post it here, since I know some of you are using an ECO4 with Elk RM or TS07s. My Father-in-law's ECO4 stopped working, and after doing some research, I found out that the hard drive needed replacing.
<snip>

Thanks very much for this. Your procedure worked perfectly for my EC04CD. One thing: my defective HDD was a 300GB Maxtor, so there's your upper size limit - i should have checked my drive before i flew off to PCWorld and bought a 160GB Hitachi. No grievous loss of recording time, though.

Dedicated Micros has 2 firmware offerings for the EC04 - i expect almost everyone else has the model requiring the D4CR firmware. Type D4DR is for an Australia-only "wide box", according to the relnotes.

Thanks for the helpful information.

I had trouble trying to transfer the software by FTP, so I ended up just plugging the drive into my laptop with a IDE/USB adapter and unzipping the file directly on to the drive. I then plugged the drive in and it proceeded to do the rebuild. I think this method might be easier for most folks.

Dedicated Micros DVR's suck for that reason. They will tell you that if the HD is bad you have to send it in for a ridiculously priced replacement. They work when they work, but don't try to get any information from tech support...

Dedicated Micros DVR's suck for that reason. They will tell you that if the HD is bad you have to send it in for a ridiculously priced replacement. They work when they work, but don't try to get any information from tech support...

Actually it was DM's US tech support that suggested directly loading the software, but I admit I was only doing this myself because I didn't want to imagine what they'd charge to replace a 40gb HD.

Back