How to use M1 to shut off power and control home theater

I did a search on the forum and google, but did not get very clear answers.

I am trying to install a ELK M1, M1XEP, and a Z-wave module. I like to do following things:

1. Use M1 to turn on or off a power/electric switch upon certain events, such as arm or diarm. The power switch could be used to control various appliances in the home.

2. Use M1 to have some simple control on a home theater system, such as play DVD, pause, stop, or adjust volume.

3. Is there any product I can use to detect phone line busy? I know Elk has a ring detector.

Please help recommend solution or products. Either wired or wireless is ok.

Thanks in advance.

1.) You would replace the switch or outlet with a zwave module (switch, plugin, applicance/wire-in). If a module you need is not available you will need to look at another technology (UPB, Insteon, X10, etc) or resort to using relays controlled by outputs.

2.) The M1 is only compatible with a couple of whole house audio solutions (Russound,etc) as documented in the M1XSP manual. Another alternative is to program custom serial commands in and send them via rules, but the HT devices must have serial control. Your last and probably best option is to do this with home automation software (CQC, Elve, Homeseer, Premise, etc).

3.) Try the Miscellaneous System...Other...Telephone Line On/Off Hook. Not exactly busy but should trigger when someone picks up a phone in the house.

Hi wuench,

Thanks for your input.

As for the power control, I am thinking to use a heavy duty relay controlled by an output. Assume I only need to control one power supply line. Can you recommend a relay in the market? I am a software guy and a beginner in home automation, not very familiar with the electric stuff.

BTW, I found this one, not sure if it will work and where to buy:

http://www.amx.com/products/UPC20.asp

As for the Miscellaneous System or Telephone Line On/Off Hook, could give me some links if you have? I really have no idea what they are. Thanks again.

Can you use something like this?

Use an output and wire it to the remote control

http://www.amazon.com/HW2190-Heavy-Duty-Remote-Control/dp/B000BQRHMM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340559631&sr=8-2&keywords=heavy+duty+remote+switch

The biggest thing I worry about is that you mentioned turning appliances on/off... if it's smaller stuff (under 12 amps) then why not use UPB or Z-Wave appliance modules?

If you're trying to do this with larger loads or with a large circuit, then something like this elk contactor is a better way to go... I would try to stay away from going to "custom" on electric circuits.

I agree with the others about using a zwave/upb/insteon switch and use the elk xsp to control (or xep if you have a network controllable device like ISY)

Insteon has a device that accepts insteon commands and outputs IR commands. This could be used to control AV equipment, but it isn't my favorite. Also, Global cache makes IR devices which accept network commands and outputs IR commands. You would need something like an ISY or other controller to execute the network commands that the global cache responds to since Elk doesn't have that ability built-in.

Personally, I have Insteon with an ISY and a global cache unit. The ISY is fully integrated with Elk so ISY "sees" everything going on in Elk real-time and can respond to any alarm system item (zones/alarms/armed status/etc) and execute an event of its own (like if you arm system "away" it can shut the AV stuff and lights off) The only shortcomming is that it is a one way street with regards to the IR. There is no feedback to confirm that your IR stuff actually got set to what you wanted it set to.

Just an FYI. . .ISY is expected to have a zwave radio available sometime in the near future for the 994i. But I suspect it is still several months away.

The PowerTail is a nice small relay. I've used them in a few projects.

( http://www.adafruit.com/products/268 Lady Ada is a neat vendor, I am a happy customer )

Hi BaduFamily,

I just ordered the powertail switch, which looks like a simple solution.

One question. Can I just directly connect one of the outputs of ELK M1 to this switch? Did you try it before?

Thanks.
Specs say 30ma is all that's drawn, and the M1 supports 50ma IIRC... so as long as your total system draw is fine, you're fine here.

Hi BaduFamily,

I just ordered the powertail switch, which looks like a simple solution.

One question. Can I just directly connect one of the outputs of ELK M1 to this switch? Did you try it before?

Thanks.
Specs say 30ma is all that's drawn, and the M1 supports 50ma IIRC... so as long as your total system draw is fine, you're fine here.
Yes, 50mA for the M1G, but the M1EZ is much lower - I believe around 10mA. So it depends which panel you have - the EZ would require a secondary sensitive relay in-line.

I guess why I asked this question is because I am still not very clear when a relay module such as M1RB should be used or I can connect the output to the devices directly. Can anyone give me a little more education?

In addition, what confuses me is that if a M1RB module is needed, then all the outputs 1-8 will be connected to it. Thanks.

I guess why I asked this question is because I am still not very clear when a relay module such as M1RB should be used or I can connect the output to the devices directly. Can anyone give me a little more education?
An output is basically a leg of power which can be cycled on/off. A relay is (in a very basic description) a device that switches another device between an on/off state. Now... the relay requires power to function between an energized and de-energized state (on/off) which is where the output comes into play. The panel tells an output to turn on, which energizes the relay, which causes it to change states and connects the common wire with the other wire. So... the output turns on, which then causes a device which was wired for NO (normally open) on the relay to switch over and close that connection - and now you have power! If a device has a relay built-in, you only need an output.

Hope I didn't confuse you more!

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I more or less got it.

The powertail switch is a relay by itself, so I just need to connect one output to it, right?

Back