Hurricane Frances

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys,

If you happen to live in FL or in the path of this Hurricane, please post here, so we can do a head count when this is all over with :lol: Good luck and stay safe!

I hope I still have a head to count in a few days! It looks like it could be second trip through the eye. Francis is much bigger and slower than Charley, so it will probably do more damage, depending upon the path. The piles of debris that could become missiles is scary, they are some huge piles.

~Wayne
SE side of Orlando

Yeah they showed it on TV how much debris was still laying around, this isn't going to be pretty, they called this one the big sister of Charley. If you guys need a place to stay, I know I am in NY, but I have room, plane tickets aren't that expensive if you fly JetBlue (I just got back from FL, not a bad flight at all) and I know not everyone has a place to evacuate to. Good luck!

Man I feel for you Floridians. Two storms in 3 weeks is a very serious happening. There's a home in Northern Alabama that is open to any that need a place to stay. We'll keep you guys in our prayers.

Everyplace has it's own list of natural disasters. The southeast gets to dodge hurricanes, the midwest ducks tornadoes, and the earth tends to move occasionally in California. Up north they get frozen sunshine every winter, while Texas gets to cook eggs without needing a cooktop. Here in VA our natural disasters are called "politicians". :lol:

Seriously, hope everyone makes out okay. Fifty miles south of me in Richmond, they got clobbered earlier this week with flooding from Gaston. I'm doing my weekly grocery shopping trip tomorrow, and I'm going to pick up a few emergency supplies just in case Francis drops by after visiting Florida.

You guys in the Carolinas need to keep an eye out too...

The 2 most reliable models are showing landfall far to the north of the current adverstised landfall. The only model that is still far south is the NoGaps.
avn_pres_5d.gif

mrf_pres_5d.gif

no_atl_ps_slp_wind_60.gif

THE INITIAL MOTION IS 290/11. FRANCES CONTINUES ON THE SOUTHWEST
SIDE OF THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE...A FEATURE THAT THE LARGE-SCALE
MODELS ARE HAVING A PROBLEM FORECASTING THE EVOLUTION OF. THE
SYNOPTIC SURVEILLANCE MISSION YESTERDAY SEEMS TO HAVE HAD LITTLE
EFFECT ON THE MODELS...AS THE GFS AND GFDL STILL WANT TO TURN
FRANCES MORE NORTHWARD....WHILE THE NOGAPS AND UKMET STILL FORECAST
A WEST-NORTHWESTWARD MOTION ACROSS FLORIDA INTO THE GULF OF MEXICO.
GIVEN THIS LACK OF CHANGE...THE ONLY CHANGE IN THE FORECAST TRACK
DURING THE FIRST 72 HR IS BASED ON THE INITIAL POSITION AND CURRENT
MOTION...WITH THIS PART OF THE TRACK IN BEST AGREEMENT WITH THE
NOGAPS. AFTER 72 HR...THE TRACK IS SHIFTED WESTWARD TOWARD THE
UKMET AND NOGAPS FORECASTS. THE FORECAST TRACK CALLS FOR LANDFALL
IN SOUTHEAST OR EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA IN JUST OVER 48 HR.
HOWEVER...PEOPLE SHOULD NOT FOCUS TOO CLOSELY ON THE EXACT TRACK...
AS SMALL CHANGES IN DIRECTION COULD MAKE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE
IN THE LANDFALL LOCATION.

Updated Sat photo's, maps, and discussion are available on skibumsplace.com

I'm in So FL, and Ivan is on his way, too... It ain't over yet!

BTW, all during Frances I had power, water, phone, and DSL, and my webcams were running. We got some damage to the screen enclosure (almost lost it), but other than that no problems here. Oh, the weather sensors got turned a bit on the pole so wind directions will be off a bit - gotta fix that when next I climb up on the roof.

I don't think you want to be climbing up there yet! Although, it would be nice to get ready to collect "true" readings for Ivan...

Back