HVAC during fire alarm

hucker

This is probably a dumb question but it is safety related so I might as well ask. In the event that the security system detects smoke what is the list of things the automation controller needs to do?

The only obvious thing is turning off any HVAC or fans that might be running (reduce air)

Close air exchange damper.

Perhaps if its night time flash an exterior light.

I have call out capability but not with voice yet so I could get off a call and email/text.

What am I missing?

If at night, turn on selected lights inside house so you can see around immediately. To avoid wakeing up to bright lights, start with low light and ramp up.

If at night, turn on selected lights inside house so you can see around immediately. To avoid wakeing up to bright lights, start with low light and ramp up.

When I took Lutron training they suggested exit path lighting be set to 25%-35% in the event of a fire. This really depends on the lighting coverage of the home and needs to be tested when dark. I have used as high as 45% to provide adequate exit path lighting but you don't want full bright, it's like using your bright headlights while driving in fog.

Disconnect the lanyard, set the sea anchor, and deploy the locator beacon.....

Oh wait....that's in case of water landing. :)

For a fire, I have no idea. Maybe turn on all the speakers and play the red alert klaxon sound from Star Trek??

Back