ICON experience

A relay?
Sounds like you got the In-Wall On/Off Switch 2876SB and not the 2876DB In-Wall Dimmer. Look near the bottom edge where the reset button sticks out the front.

The dimmer version has a real Set of heavy power contacts [nice clear back as you said] one connected to the Black input lead and the other to a pad on the other edge of the pc board.

The relay type has a small reset button that just clicks on a small set of pads of the pc board. Relay type also has the black hot power lead and another black lead next to each other.

In my dimmer version I can see the base pc boards silkscreened pn:000-879157-101135V1 Relay type:000-879157-101160V8

Ah! That's not a relay in there! It's the contact that disables the switch... Pay no attention to this...
:D

Well the contacts do look heavy enough to be a relay. Glad you got the correct ones. My early ones did take an X10 Scene though Smarthome in the data sheets said no X10 scenes in the Icon version switches.

This morning I setup 2 Icon relay switches and 1 Icon dimmer switch to replace some Zwave switches (I now have a 100% Zwave-free home - I'll be placing it all for sale soon).

Setup went very easy. I'm using them all in X10 mode becuase I do not have/need any way to control them via Insteon yet, and saw that they were better-priced than equivelant 2-way X10 only dimmer/relays switches.

They work great. The X10 programming routine is very easy, and the preset on/resume dim-level feature is EXTREMELY easy to setup - much easier than on my lamplinc 2-ways (2 of which I used to replace 2 other Zwave devices). Best of all, I now have INSTANT status reporting from these fixtures without having to wait for Zwave polling. Very nice!

The delay is minimal - less than 1/2 a second, probably more like a 1/4 second. This is true even when I use a stick-a-switch to control a light via the W800/ACRF Plugin using shadowing. For some reason my Zwave devices were slower to respond, but I think that was becuase of some wacky hardware incompatability between the Zwave USB interface and my PC - one of 'em had to go, and the Zwave was more expendable than the PC. I'm sure I'll recoup a good bit of what I spent on the ICONs with my sale of the ZWave stuff. I think I'll go post it for sale now...

jrfuda said:
This morning I setup 2 Icon relay switches and 1 Icon dimmer switch to replace some Zwave switches (I now have a 100% Zwave-free home - I'll be placing it all for sale soon).
I just know there is a good story behind this... ;)

BraveSirRobbin said:
jrfuda said:
I just know there is a good story behind this... ;)
Without taking this thread too far off topic, My Zwave stuff is now for sale in the for sale forum, and the reason for the sale is that I could never get my Zwave interface and my PC to play together well after power outages. I think it was some sort of hardware compatability problem between my PC and the controller.

jrfuda said:
I'm using them all in X10 mode becuase I do not have/need any way to control them via Insteon yet, and saw that they were better-priced than equivelant 2-way X10 only dimmer/relays switches.
Even if you use them in X-10 mode for most things you can still use Insteon mode to link 2 switches without affecting their X-10 settings. I have switches that are controlled by X-10 from my Stargate and by Insteon from a keypad or another switch.

You don't have to wait until you have an Insteon controller to take advantage of Insteon linking.

Back