Ideas re: phone-controlled gates?

Madcodger

Hoping you gurus will have some ideas / suggestions for this little problem. A friend recently became the property manager for multiple communities located several miles from each other, some of which have multiple gates controlling access to various sub-communities throughout these properties. Each of these gates is controlled via either the residents' individual remote control devices (RF, door opener style) OR by remote telephone access and DTMF tones, with each gate having a unique phone number. No internet access exists at the gates, nor is there confirmation / feedback that a gate is open or closed. There is no video on the gates, either.

My friend must open or close individual gates at various odd, inconvenient and irregular times that may conflict with other duties (i.e., open gate 3 at Property 2 next Tuesday at 9:30 AM to allow a company access to a pump station, then close that gate at noon). My friend may be in a meeting at another property at those times, making this somewhat inconvenient and increasing the likelihood that something will be forgotten during a busy day. The gates must also be opened (all or most) if snow or ice is in the immediate forecast, to allow streets to be cleaned and treated.

All of this just screams for automation, of course, but the boards of these various communities are unlikely to make that investment in the short term. However, with each gate having a unique phone number and DTMF accessibility that already opens or closes gates when my friend calls into them and enters the correct codes, I think a single device (ISY preferred, and/or Elk, or maybe even HomeSeer or Premise if necessary) might be able to control these gates more easily by running a unique gate open or close program when activated or scheduled by my friend (who could schedule future events each day or perhaps once/week). They could even tie these programs into the weather forecast. In other words, the automated system would dial the gate's phone number, enter the correct codes, and then hang up (perhaps dialing another gate in the event of snow or ice).

BUT... I can't figure out a way to give an ISY phone capabilities (I don't think it exists), and I'm not sure the Elk could do it, either, given its limitations. I'm not even sure HomeSeer could do it, although that seems more likely. We could test this using my ISY / Elk, HS, etc., before they commit to a purchase, but I've no idea of how to do it. ANY IDEAS / SUGGESTIONS? Thanks in advance!

VOIP dialer or Asterisk.  There is no point to use something like ISY or home automation device unless you already have it.  Even then it is going to require something else to do the calling.  This is a job for an embedded linux system or a PC.  It could also possibly be done with google calendar and twilio or something like that.  Also there are conference call apps that can store and schedule calls with additional DTMF keys for android, ios.

I like where az1324 is going, if you are handy with Asterisk it might be the easiest way.

If you want status and feedback at some point you will probably need to provide some kind of wireless connectivity to each gate.

In the meantime, I wonder if something like a Viking PB-100 would work for you.  You send text strings to it from something like an Elk, and it performs the dialing instructions in the string.

I could totally whip something like this together in something simple like Access - just add items to the schedule and have it run through the schedule sending commands out via serial output to a modem...  getting a little old-school in the old AT command set, but FREE is still a great starting price point.

Going a step further, Asterisk can be installed and used as it has some command-line options; theoretically you could even use the Windows Task Scheduler to set up the events pretty easily.

Asterisk on a raspberry pi board ($35).  OBI110 if you need to connect to a POTS line ($50).  PIAF (PBX in a flash) has a version that is prebuilt for the pi.  You could even put a pi and obi110 at each gate and include feedback using the existing phone line.

An old modem as work2play suggests would also work. 

Both require a good amount of programming/setup.  You also need to think about how you would trigger the events.  You could call in to Asterisk.  With the modem you would have to have another way - possibly hang it on the port of a web server and trigger it via the web.

Google Calendar is the best way to schedule events because it can sync with your phone to give you a local notification.  Google Script can trigger either Twilio or Asterisk to call and then send you an email notification that it performed the action.  So right there you have redundancy/backup.  Free and hosted so no device required.  Twilio is 2c per call (Plivo is slightly cheaper).

Pogoplugs are the cheapest embedded linux system frequently found for < $20.  There are also free hosted versions of Asterisk.  But really how much effort is worth it to avoid 2c per call.

Back