If I can't do UPB, what is next best?

chrisdias

I want whatever I go with to work with my OPII panel. I think UPB is probably the best, since it is what HAI seems to have put its weight behind, but that clearly wont work for me.

I see three options:

Lutron RadioRA - ZWave
Leviton Vizia RF - ZWave
Centralite JetStream - Zigbee

Pros/Cons to each? (Or is this an endless "debate" :D

Thanks,
Chris

Not really debatable at all. If you want more than a couple of devices you will want to choose Z-Wave. Z-Wave offers many more devices ie door locks, motion sensors, temp sensors, flood sensors, thermostats, etc.
See the Z-Wave section on the HomeSeer web site for an example of what's available.
http://store.homeseer.com/store/index.aspx

It's pretty much a debate and will come down to whats important to you - cost, look and feel, etc. Here are my opinions on each.

1. RadioRA or RA2 is probably the most expensive. I don't have personal experience with it but people like it.

2. ViziaRF - moderate cost but I personally am not a fan of the paddle design. Also only green LED iirc, many people prefer blue

3. Jetstream - I like Jetstream and use a hybrid Jetstream/UPB network. Jetstream has some issues with the paddles which will hopefully be fixed in Jan/Feb. Besides that I really like their stuff. Its also moderately priced.

For lighting? RadioRA 2 hands down. It's cheaper than the original RA and based on Lutron's track record you will never have to replace a switch (they just work).

Why do you have Z-Wave listed next to RadioRA? RadioRA is not based on Z-Wave technology.

For lighting? RadioRA 2 hands down. It's cheaper than the original RA and based on Lutron's track record you will never have to replace a switch (they just work).

Why do you have Z-Wave listed next to RadioRA? RadioRA is not based on Z-Wave technology.

i mistakenly thought radiora was zwave. after reading up on it, it looks like its their radio technology. thx for the clarification.

Well I just installed a small number of jetstream switches and it was quite a simple task. Wiring is straight forward, and I had more time spent figuring out how the existing three ways were configured than any switch issues. The switches themselves fit pretty much anywhere you could put a standard dimmer. While I have not found much online info on jetstream, there was much of it centering around the bezel problems. The explanation given to me was that the original bezels have a molded "Z" shaped piece that acts as the spring and contains the pads that are applied to the micro switch when they are pressed forward by the paddle. Initially these were small enough to sometime slide off the side of the micro switch and cause damage to the switch. The interim fix has been to enlarge those pads. The long term is to move the pads that press on the switch to the paddle itself. There were also comments about how hard these were to push, and we have not found that to be the case. Whether those complaints were a result of the initial design I don't know, but the 4'11 gal in charge o the household has no complaints on the pressure required on the switches. We have both 3 button and singles. They don’t have a wonderful tactile feedback, (no big click) but I press one and it works. The Mrs. likes her switches.
The setup couldn’t be simpler. Plug in the USB stick, start the software, click on discover and all the switches that are wired, or new to the network start flashing their LEDs rapidly. Go press on one and a window pops up for you to name and configure it. (Switch only, dimmer, ramp on / off rates etc.) Once all the switches are captured, go to the scenes tab and add your devices and set levels, ramp times, etc and you have scenes. The only thing I would suggest if your going to integrate with an Elk, is plan how you want them to show in RMS and create them in that order. Otherwise you’ll have similar or related scenes on different pages of RMS. We have dinner prep, dinner, and intimate dinner scenes that have common devices, and I wanted them all together on the RMS screen. The scenes map to the ELK based on the scene number, which is assigned chronologically as they are created. So some planning here saves a lot of editing later. I actually created a couple extra scenes in each of our categories just in case we want to add something later. For now they are just programmed not to show in RMS.
I also like the ability to define a double tap on each switch for scene activation. This effectively gives you 5 scenes plus a load per three button switch. Double taps also can be used for remote loads, levels etc. Integration with the ELK went well with the main issue being my rule writing…lol The ELK knows load conditions, and other than a slight delay when using RMS on my PDA 3g connection, I have not seen the loads out of sync. The rs-232 bridge also has 3 standard scenes, one of which is vacation that produces random on / off sequence of the devices in the scene between 5 and 11 PM.. This was quite nice in the amount of rules it saved to do something comparable with the elk. So suffice it to say that I am pleased with my experience so far, and intend to add more devices in the near future.

Yep, that's a good summary. It's the new design bezels with the 'pads' on the paddle itself that I was referring to that should be out soon. That's the way SAI and others do theirs and hopefully it will over better tactile feedback (feeling the microswitch and not just mashing plastic. There are actually several factors that go into just how the switch feels. It's important to first understand that its a flat toggle plate with each press toggling the state. Some people try to press the top and bottom similar to a regular switch and the issue is the pressure is not really even throughout the paddle. Like pressing the center of the paddle may require less force than say the top or bottom. They do certainly work ok, but not near the feedback of UPB switches. Since the bridge contains an atomic clock you can actually put all timed events in the bridge instead of or in addition to a central controller. And the vacation and alarm built in scenes are great.

One of the really nice things is the instant response of the switches regardless of how many in the scene. If you press a button, bam, they just all simultaneously change, its not like the 'popcorn effect' like you get with UPB or other technologies.

One of the really nice things is the instant response of the switches regardless of how many in the scene. If you press a button, bam, they just all simultaneously change, its not like the 'popcorn effect' like you get with UPB or other technologies.

Steve,

What "Popcorn effect" with UPB? With scenes (links) all UPB devices work simultaneously.

Dave

Steve,

What "Popcorn effect" with UPB? With scenes (links) all UPB devices work simultaneously.

Dave

I agree I have all of my lights turn off at the same time when I arm my system away during the daytime. About 3 seconds after I hit the Exit button on the keypad all of the lights and ceiling fans etc go out at the same time. With the Insteon I would see the popcorn effect from all of the retries etc.

All I can say is that I've read several people describe this and its also the way it works for me. There are several seconds from when the first light and last light react. Then again I am doing it via Elk so I always have correct status. I'll have to try direct links.

All I can say is that I've read several people describe this and its also the way it works for me. There are several seconds from when the first light and last light react. Then again I am doing it via Elk so I always have correct status. I'll have to try direct links.

I have been discussing this with Brad at ELK. To do what you are doing do you have the OPT checked off in the lighting control of the ELK? I did so that if I used the method I think you are that there would be a delay between the lighting commands but Brad stated that the OPT should not be checked when using UPB.

Currently I have the ELK send one link and all of my lights that I want turned off do so at the same time.

Back