Indoor low light camera and monitoring station help

pgray007

I am looking to install a video camera on our stairwell to the second floor, for a "feces hitting the oscillator"-type scenario of someone breaking into the house while we are at home. We all sleep upstairs on a two story house and arm the alarm at night, with instant activation should an entry zone be violated. The scenario I worry about is if an intruder ignores the alarm and heads upstairs after entering the house.

The scenario I envision is alarm goes off and calls the calvary, and wakes us up. We "adjourn" the the closet where a small video monitor (either PC or LCD panel, not sure yet) is setup to watch the stairwell. If an intruder comes upstairs he/she is likely of ill intent and a different kettle of fish than someone that hears the alarm and runs. Ideally I'd also like the screen in this room to display some information like whether the police were called, phone line cut, etc. so we can plan an appropriate response and know that someone with ill intentions is on their way.

I'd like to setup a camera that covers the stairwell and works in very low light, with IR assist if needed as the stairwell is not illuminated at night. This is installed in a home so obviously the maximum performance with minimum astethetic impact is required. I can run CAT5 or whatever else to the location pretty easily so IP piques my interest but performance and asthetics are key if analog is the better choice. Recording capabilities would be nice in the future so if that could be factored in I would appreciate the guidance.

I currently have a CQC and Elk system installed, but have never done anything with video. I'd like some ideas on cameras, and how to setup the "montioring station." I'd like to avoid a dedicated PC in the closet since this screen will be rarely used, and I need something fairly "failsafe" since when it is needed, it is REALLY needed. I'm thinking LCD panel mounted behind a rack of clothing would be nice at this point. MBR closet is about 50' from the server/security closet but I can run wire relatively easily.

I could see budgeting $1-2K for this setup (the camera, "viewing station" and any ancillary hardware or software) but could go for more if there's a compelling reason to do so. Might seem like a lot but this would have huge WAF and I've had someone break into an apartment I was sleeping in at the time, so it's priceless as the commercials say.

Def get an STB Security PVR. I think automated outlet had some decent deals. Very low power (ie, 40watts), much more stable than using a PC. If you'll spend $1K-$2K, you'll be set.

If you are just looking to see if someone is coming up the stairs and aren't really interested in trying to have high resolution pictures that you can use to identify them then a cheap camera setup would do you just fine. If you have touch screens in use for your CQC setup you could just grab one of those to view the camera and alarm status in your "bunker".

For example, something goes bump in the night, you grab the family and your Samsung Q1B with the camera feed on it and run to the safe room. You pull up the camera to see a huge lurking figure scary beyond your wildest nightmares slowly making its way up the stairs. As the figure approaches the camera location you identify it. You know what to do. Hugging your family you tell them "If I don't make it back I want you to live a happy life... Live damn it!". You slowly approach the door, creek it open and shout down to the grotesque figure below... "Rosie? Rosie O'Donnell? Look if you promise not to come up stairs I will come down with you and make a fish sandwich..." Crisis averted.

I have yet to get my CCTV setup running so I can't help you too much but I think you will just need a DVR with a web server to get it to CQC.

Chris

... or go to WalMart and get a $250 shot gun. ;)

It's all part of layered security. I don't want to go roaming the house armed or not (and most training courses will tell you not to do so), but if someone is moving towards the "bunker" as someone else called it, you can certainly believe I'll be waiting with appropriate countermeasures. The camera is so I know if it's multiple threats, armed/unarmed, or worst case, Rosie O'Donnel :) !

Maybe I am overthinking this...

If you are just looking to see if someone is coming up the stairs and aren't really interested in trying to have high resolution pictures that you can use to identify them then a cheap camera setup would do you just fine. If you have touch screens in use for your CQC setup you could just grab one of those to view the camera and alarm status in your "bunker".

For example, something goes bump in the night, you grab the family and your Samsung Q1B with the camera feed on it and run to the safe room. You pull up the camera to see a huge lurking figure scary beyond your wildest nightmares slowly making its way up the stairs. As the figure approaches the camera location you identify it. You know what to do. Hugging your family you tell them "If I don't make it back I want you to live a happy life... Live damn it!". You slowly approach the door, creek it open and shout down to the grotesque figure below... "Rosie? Rosie O'Donnell? Look if you promise not to come up stairs I will come down with you and make a fish sandwich..." Crisis averted.

I have yet to get my CCTV setup running so I can't help you too much but I think you will just need a DVR with a web server to get it to CQC.

Chris

My big concern with CQC and a Q1 is that I am relying on complex technology for something I'll use once in a lifetime (hopefully never) but that absolutely must work when called on. It also assumes I or the wife will have the presence of mind to grab the Q1 from wherever it was, and lug it into the closet.

Maybe an eBay sony portable TV and a bullet cam is all I really need. If they're coming up the stairs with the alarm sounding, identifying them and recording for prosterity is pretty low on the priority list.

It's all part of layered security. I don't want to go roaming the house armed or not (and most training courses will tell you not to do so), but if someone is moving towards the "bunker" as someone else called it, you can certainly believe I'll be waiting with appropriate countermeasures. The camera is so I know if it's multiple threats, armed/unarmed, or worst case, Rosie O'Donnel :) !

Maybe I am overthinking this...

If you are going with a "safe room", shouldn't it be something larger than a closet?

If you are going with a "safe room", shouldn't it be something larger than a closet?
To me a safe room just has to be big enough to fit me, my family, our cell phones and several of my favorite firearms (with extra ammo). With the current size of my family we could do this in a (walk in) closet.

BTW, Rosie may be slow but she would be harder to kill than a Zombie. She has no brain and has an insatiable appetite for everything. :)

(Camera #3 is my recommendation for your situation, but the other options are cheaper....)

Camera #1 ($36!): IR, Small, CCD, Wired
Sony CCD with IR, $36! I have used one of these on my RC cars, but was a little heavy. for the price, it is a friggen awesome deal.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CM802CHA&cat=VID

Camera #2 ($44) : IR, Small, CMOS, wireless 2.4ghz.
Only CMOS, but still great night vision and no wires. Beware 2.4ghz wireless camera will broadcast to your neighbors. Think they are not watching? I had a neighbors wireless feed sent to my DVR with my 13db high gain antenna... Don't worry, they were moving and used the camera to watch their house, so I only spied on them for a few weeks. Other than that, this is a decent option..
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=NI...ESS&cat=VID

Camera #3 ($89): Low Light B&W, Sony ExView CCD, Wired
This is my favorite low light camera... A candle will light up an entire room for this puppy. B&W, but does not need any IR. Low light cameras can get a little grainy when it is real dark as they crank AGC, but man, so other camera I have bought can see half as good in the dark as this baby. I will like to find a better on at anywhere near this price, but have not.

I have 2 other Sony's shipping to me now like the $90 one above, and they are in the $50 price range. I will post links when I get them if they are worth a crap.

Vaughn

My big concern with CQC and a Q1 is that I am relying on complex technology for something I'll use once in a lifetime (hopefully never) but that absolutely must work when called on. It also assumes I or the wife will have the presence of mind to grab the Q1 from wherever it was, and lug it into the closet.

Maybe an eBay sony portable TV and a bullet cam is all I really need. If they're coming up the stairs with the alarm sounding, identifying them and recording for prosterity is pretty low on the priority list.

I think the idea was that you could have the Q1 in the bedroom for normal everyday CQC usage. But since it is wireless, you could grab it off the nightstand as you head into the bunker and still have all the CQC control of the house - including camera feeds. You might actually find yourself installing more than just this one camera and using the CCTV system on a regular basis. Once you start down this slippery slope, it is hard to stop :lol:

Low light cameras can get a little grainy when it is real dark as they crank AGC, but man, so other camera I have bought can see half as good in the dark as this baby.

It's the EX-View CCD, stick to SuperHad or HQ1. Better yet a Panasonic if you can find it.

(I have them cheaper too.)

Back