Infrared control to closet

rismoney

In my family room, behind my LED television I have 4 CAT5 cables. The TV may or may not be 3D - this may need a HDMI 1.4 balun of some sort, since I didn't run HDMI to this TV due to long distance.
In my wire closet I have the following AV components planned

1 Yamaha Receiver
1 Russound MCA-C5
1 FIOS Cable Box

What is a good price point high quality IR brand/model componentry that will be reliable using the native remotes for the above.
I started looking at the Xantech stuff but got confused as to what I actually need. With the Russound I do not plan to use Keypads.
Not sure what that means as far as their IR stuffy stuff.

Do I need one eye, that can control multiple sources, multiple eyes?
Any guidance on specific products/recommendations with seamless high WAF would be appreciated.

In the kids rooms, I am looking for a "cheaper" solution- only have cable box in local closet. 2 CAT 5's. No 3D.
Can I get something that is highly reliable to control the out of sight cable box?

Do I need baluns for IR? I see these things are typically audio rca phono cables?
Any/all help on this is appreciated.
Regards,
rismoney

Hello,
I have been using the Xantech DL85K with no problems. You will have a receiver near or on the tv that will run back to the connecting block. I would not use a cabinet blaster, but individual emitters on each component. The emitters that come with the Xantech kit are ok, but do not utilize a holder. So if you need to move the components you have to disconnect the emitter from the block. If you know an RTI dealer that have some nice blue emitters that I like using that have a new style holder.

http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infrared/LCDCFLProofKits/DL85K/

For the HDMI balun check out Atlona. They also have a balun that will pass the ir as well. I have never had a handshake problem with these.

http://www.atlona.com/HDMI-Extenders/

Why not use some sort of RF to IR module (would go in your closet and be connected to a Xantech IR hub) along with an RF remote?

Once you use an RF remote, you'll never go back to the unreliability of IR! IR is unreliable since you usually have to point it a certain direction; it is suspectable to interference from sunlight and CFL's. To get an IR system with proper filtering is almost the same cost as an RF based system. For example, a good IR receiver with filtering is $90 alone. You may not need filtering though; no way to know without more information...

You can pick up cheap RF remotes on ebay (such as the Universal MX-900); just make sure you get the software with it. I paid about $120 for my slightly used MX-900 and it included the RF base (I think the based does 3-5 devices; you would just glue blinkies and plug them into the base). If your base doesn't do enough devices, the Xantech hubs are about $40-$60.

Logitech also makes an RF version that would be even cheaper and more readily available.

If you are into computers or want to use an ipad, Global Cache makes great affordable newtork based IR controllers.

Here's the setup I use:
http://www.cocoontec...al&fromsearch=1

I'm not sure about your distances for any of these, but for shorter setups, I've used this receiver from Channel Vision and it was extremely reliable - couldn't tell I was using a repeater... if anything it was more responsive than the original components.

If you are into computers or want to use an ipad, Global Cache makes great affordable newtork based IR controllers.
I have a global cache itach unit. It comes in a wifi version so the only wires are power and the ir output. There is a good application for turning your iphone/ipad into a very nice remote using the itach. Unfortunately, I have an android and no one has written a real app for it yet. At present I use it to relay network commands from my ISY and computer to control IR devices.

Work2Play- I am looking at about 50 feet, between the floors so that type of unit wouldn't work.

Etc6849- Wow! That is a lot of componentry you got there for IR. I do have whole house audio, and UPB lighting, and therms but I always envisioned using a ipad/ipod to control everything. Planning to put an OmniPro in soon- I do like the idea though of using potentially a master RF remotes.

My immediate goal right now is simply to make all my existing remote controls work - native funtionaltiy is my critical need now. This is a new house, so I have to pick my battles as to order my implementation.

You also got me thinking now about Serial comm. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-2000. It has a RS232 port. The TV will be samsung and I think supports an ex-link cable for serial and also has a 3.5mm IR port. The Russound has a serial port. Not sure about the cable box but pretty sure it has this as well. I was planning to connect all of these up for native control through pc. Planning to tentatively run HomeSeer. The Globalcache you had in there seemed interesting too.

Short term goal - manage everything through manufacturer existing remotes
Long term goal - manage everything from 1 ipod/ipad.

Work2Play- I am looking at about 50 feet, between the floors so that type of unit wouldn't work.

Etc6849- Wow! That is a lot of componentry you got there for IR. I do have whole house audio, and UPB lighting, and therms but I always envisioned using a ipad/ipod to control everything. Planning to put an OmniPro in soon- I do like the idea though of using potentially a master RF remotes.

My immediate goal right now is simply to make all my existing remote controls work - native funtionaltiy is my critical need now. This is a new house, so I have to pick my battles as to order my implementation.

You also got me thinking now about Serial comm. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-2000. It has a RS232 port. The TV will be samsung and I think supports an ex-link cable for serial and also has a 3.5mm IR port. The Russound has a serial port. Not sure about the cable box but pretty sure it has this as well. I was planning to connect all of these up for native control through pc. Planning to tentatively run HomeSeer. The Globalcache you had in there seemed interesting too.

Short term goal - manage everything through manufacturer existing remotes
Long term goal - manage everything from 1 ipod/ipad.

You really should just go with your long term goal upfront. The itach will be as cheaper or cheaper than an ir repeater, and will be very easy to implement, all you need is wifi which I assume you already have. Assuming you already have an ipad/iphone, just download the app and customize your panel to your preferences. As long as all of your components are in one place, you only need one itach.

Which itach are you talking about? How do I make one itach work with all my components in one place?

This one. http://www.google.co...ved=0CGoQ8wIwCQ#

It has 3 plugs on it that you plug your ir senders into. It comes with several low power ir senders that stick right on the equipment and one ir blaster. If you have two pieces of equipment that have the same ir codes (usually only happens with two of the exact same thing), then you use the lower power ones. The itach lets you specifiy which of the three plugs will have the signal sent to it so you can isolate what "sees" the ir command.

I just plugged in the blaster and send everything to it since I have no overlapping signals. The blaster will work from very far away, like 20 or 30 feet, or maybe more, that is just the farthest I have tried. You can also use an "extension cord" on the ir senders if you need to take a signal from the itach to some component that is not in the line of sight of the ir blaster and not close enough for the provided wire (about 6 feet). I ran one wire about 50 feet and it works.

For $100 plus the cost of the iphone app you should have all you need.

http://www.iruleatho...w-it-works.html

EDIT: Also, you can instead get the global cache gc100 series if you want to communicate with rs232 and ir. The only advantage here is that it is a 2-way street, with ir you only send commands, you can't query status. There may be other functions that are only available via rs-232 as well. That would depend on your equipment. Pretty much I am thinking a high end multimedia AV receiver here. I honostly don't know if irule supports receiving status updates or not, but certainly your pc could do it through the gc100.

Basically, the way I have things configured my IR system is highly versatile:
1. All commands and macros are stored in one place, my home automation (HA) server. This means the same macros for A/V can also contain commands for anything in the home (alarm system, HVAC, lights etc...). In fact, I hide all factory remotes, just so every command goes through my HA server. This way, the HA server can track equipment states.

2. The MSC-400 also me to use RF remotes which are completely customizable (such as the MX-900). I can customize all text and menus along with all buttons. The RF remotes do much more than just A/V. They control HVAC, lighting and trigger scenes like "Goodnight." It is very nice to have a cheap hard button remote you can anywhere in the home.

3. My setup allows for all IR to be controlled via the network (using global cache's products). For example, what's not shown in the diagram is another A/V system in another room. All that was necessary to add it was a Global Cache iTach WIFI2IR. Since the RF remotes have such excellent range, all signals still reach into my rack that is upstairs.

4. Since all commands go through an HA server, the same macros and commands work if you grab a touch screen such as an android phone (http://www.cocoontec...ds&showfile=170). There is zero duplication of code/macros. If you change the macro on the HA server, all remotes will work as desired, without even picking up one remote to program.

I agree, two-way control is very nice. If you have RS232 and the protocol allows for two way communications without polling, I would use RS232; especially if you find a cheap app that handles RS232.

To give you an example, when I go up to my Onkyo receiver and hit any source button, the receiver comes on, but the lights also dim, my projector comes on and whatever source was selected is powered on. The Onkyo's buttons on the front panel are actually triggering the same macros the remote or touchscreen would. They too are acting as a remote.

EDIT: Also, you can instead get the global cache gc100 series if you want to communicate with rs232 and ir. The only advantage here is that it is a 2-way street, with ir you only send commands, you can't query status. There may be other functions that are only available via rs-232 as well. That would depend on your equipment. Pretty much I am thinking a high end multimedia AV receiver here. I honostly don't know if irule supports receiving status updates or not, but certainly your pc could do it through the gc100.

With the MX-900 I saw it had an IR in, which can be connected to an IR Repeater System. Does this mean, if I use this connection I can put an IR receiver near my TV and use all the native remotes that came with my gear, in addition to the remote connected via the RFX-250. I understand I most likely would want to use the RF remote exclusively, but I like the idea of fallback to OEM remotes for a potential button issue.

Rich

I'm not sure if the MRF-350 Base Station supports IR in or not. The MX-900 remote itself does support IR in, but it's only use for programming IR codes manually into the remote.

I meant the MSC-400 and found I can use the IR in on it, as it will just do an ir transmit passthrough to all the ports and not use it's programmed logic.
I do like this device and it would meet the objectives of managing multiple rs232 devices. I would buy it, but noone has the software on ebay. I found an authorized dealer who would give the software, but thats nearly $400.

The Yamaha receiver RX-2000 I have actually has a web server in it, and can be managed in a ipod app. I could send macro http requests to it. Has a serial port I can hook up to some other device
I can use snaplink maybe with HAI.
If I go with the Russound MCA-C5, which is what I have been leaning towards - this has rs232. I am against wallwarts.
The GlobalCache is nice, but I would still need a way to use native remotes.
With the Sonos source presents another app, but a really good one.
I don't think the Russound $500 bridge is worth it.
The RTI is dealer only but they have compelling things.
The Xantech does what I originally wanted, but leaves me with nothing more than distributed IR.

Just use the global cache product along with a Xantech IR hub and a Xantech IR receiver. This will give you the best of both worlds.

Look at this diagram. Where the red lines are, I would use the Global Cache Xantech adapters:
GC-CXG IR Converter Cable, Xantech to GC-IRE and GC-CGX IR Converter Cable, GC-100 to Xantech

http://www.cocoontec...&attach_id=2740

PS: you can leave out the GCIRE and the GC-CXG if you don't want to have IR input to your home automation server.

Back