Infrared control to closet

I agree completely that its the way to go based on all I have read.
I thought about the high end ip multizones xantech have but they are budget busting. Mx88ia is sweet.How do you use cat5 for ir...

Side question, do you just splice stands into terminating blocks and do the same for 3.5mm plugs or do some adapter ?
I like the microlink, but, cable is short

Appreciate all your help. Still like your rf integration. I

Why not use some sort of RF to IR module (would go in your closet and be connected to a Xantech IR hub) along with an RF remote?

Do you experience any significant latency with this setup between the RF transmission and the execution of the IR??

Not really, my computer is pretty fast at processing the serial output from the MSC-400 ;) Originally, I did have some delay with the iTach wifi2ir (not the GC-100). A firmware update to the iTach fixed everything though. I am surprised at how well the WIFI to IR iTach works. After the update, it's been running for 8 months and never a single missed command or latency.

I was going to ask about latency too, particular in doing an activity where you press and hold a button, like volume controls or up/down through a guide or something along with that. I have seen some setups where the slowness is unbearable.

I was going to ask about latency too, particular in doing an activity where you press and hold a button, like volume controls or up/down through a guide or something along with that. I have seen some setups where the slowness is unbearable.

That was specifically the reason for my question.

FF and Rew isn't an issue?

For things like volume, all you do is set the URC MSC-400 to output some string (such as "VOLUPTHTR") as fast as possible when a button is held down (I can't remember the limitation, but it was something like 70-100ms).  Any buttons on the MX-900 can be set up to do press and hold (except the soft buttons at the top).
Next, you let your HA server handle the IR output timing on a per device basis (somewhere between 250-500ms depending on the device).  The timing is automatically changed whenever you select a diffent source on the a/v receiver.  No need to tell the remote which source is selected since the HA server already knows this via two way rs232 with the onkyo receiver.  This eliminates the "press tv button first" then channel scenario of older IR remotes where the user must select the source.
You could try to do everything through the URC software, but Premise is much more powerful.

We have just released an Android app to control the Global Cache Itach. Thread post with info here:
http://www.cocoontec...showtopic=20163
strictly direct IR device control in this first release. we are starting on other functions next week after we submit iphone version update to apple. i.e. macro editor, punch through, rs232 (1way), relay, tablet resolution support, etc. for now it is just add devices, learn from built in learner on box or import file, use predefined gui (learn whatever IR you want to the buttons though), and have direct control. free demo to try on website for android version. we added support for another box also and a dongle on iphone version as well.

I have a global cache itach unit. It comes in a wifi version so the only wires are power and the ir output. There is a good application for turning your iphone/ipad into a very nice remote using the itach. Unfortunately, I have an android and no one has written a real app for it yet. At present I use it to relay network commands from my ISY and computer to control IR devices.

Back