INSTALLING OUTDOOR SPEAKERS

gasbie

Guys, I want to install an 2 pairs of outdoor speakers. But the problem is that the speakers will be exposed to all harsh weather. I'm trying to minimize exposure to rain and snow. Does anyone knows what kind of cover (i.e. like a small rafter; not sure if am using the correct name for this) I can use to cover these speakers so that it doesn't suffer a lot from any weather.

Guys, I want to install an 2 pairs of outdoor speakers. But the problem is that the speakers will be exposed to all harsh weather. I'm trying to minimize exposure to rain and snow. Does anyone knows what kind of cover (i.e. like a small rafter; not sure if am using the correct name for this) I can use to cover these speakers so that it doesn't suffer a lot from any weather.

Why don't you just use speakers that are rated for outdoors such as Terra?

I have 2 sets of Bose outdoor speakers, I brought them with me from my last house, about 10 years old and still work great, they don't need any special treatment. They have been fully exposed the whole time, rain, snow, sun...

I have 2 sets of Bose outdoor speakers, I brought them with me from my last house, about 10 years old and still work great, they don't need any special treatment. They have been fully exposed the whole time, rain, snow, sun...

Thanks everyone. So wuench, how much you paid for those speakers. So, I should worry about rain and snow pouring on it?

Thanks everyone. So wuench, how much you paid for those speakers. So, I should worry about rain and snow pouring on it?

They are Bose 251, really great sound quality, I can't really remember the price it was 10 years ago but they are probably on the expensive end for outdoor speakers. But no worries about weather, they have never been under cover of any kind.

One of my "outdoor" projects before winter was to finish an outdoor zone (deck). I'm as far as running the cables but have yet to install the speakers. I ended up purchasing Russound outdoor speakers. I was also worried about the outdoor elements affecting the speakers. I have a bit of an overhang and was going to mount one speaker there for fear of the element. One neighbor used "rock" speakers around their pool (years now) and another hung the speakers outside on the exterior wall of the house cement pad (in the elements) facing the pool area. I haven't seen issues with their setups in the last few years.

I have some Klipsch speakers outside, I live in Connecticut so we see the whole gamut of weather conditions. I bought the AW-525 speakers off ebay for about $250 total new. The sound is pretty good, I would compare them to the Bose outdoor speakers. We used to have the Bose inside a garage, they are both decently bass-y. You might want to consider adding another amp depending on what size space you are trying to fill with music.

I have a screened in porch and use my old harman kardon surround speakers. Put them up about 4-5 months ago. They're in each corner and are pretty covered so they don't get water or anything in them but i haven't had any problems. A friend has bose outdoor speakers that's been there 10+ years and still work great. I think anything outdoor rated would work even if underwater as they should be waterproof

Back