Installing structured wiring panel tips ...

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I am probably going to be installing my panel this weekend (I finally got the wood delivered this week, so I can build my wall), and would like to know if there are certain things I have to keep in mind when installing my modules. I.e. should network modules and cable module be as close as possible to where the wiring enters the box? Any tips would be appreciated.

I've never set up an official wiring panel/box, so take this with a grain of salt.

I assume that the location for the modules should be dictated primarily by:
1) how much slack cable you want in the box
2) how you plan to route/store it (coiled, shoved to the side, filling the whole box)
3) interference between cables (both mechanical and electrical)

Will you have a live web cam running over the weekend so we can follow your progress?

1&2)I am planning on having some extra cable in the wall itself since there is plenty of room above the panel. I would like to do a very nice and clean routing job since I want to post pictures ;)
3) Interference shouldn't be a problem I hope, as I only plan on running RG6, Cat5e and alarm wiring. I was planning on keeping the outlet and power distrubution as low as possible.

As for the webcam, yeah right ;)

Two Suggestions.

Labeler and wire ties!

I have done many structured wiring installs and to keep the boxes extremely neat is a tough job. I little easier in your case as you have no audio cables coming back to the panel. And you are right on when it comes to the extra cable in a wall pocket above or below a panel.

My two cents,
Shawn Walsh

Thanks for the tip HAL_MAN, I have a labeler, I just didn't think of using it, great tip! Do you happen to have any pictures of the panels you have installed? Thanks!

If you will be using a regular labeler, I find that in time the sticky comes unsticky and the labels fall off. Maybe not the best way (use specific label maker / labels for wiring), but I throw a staple thru the folded over label on the wire. Haven't lost one since.

Keep high voltage (most including wall warts) seperate from low voltage. FYI - I found a real nice aluminum diamond plate 4 ft long wiring outlet with multiple double gang outlets at Home Depot for $40 last weekend. Too bad I already bought other power strips that aren't quite as nice. This would work great for wallwarts. I purchased a high current 12 volt transformer source from pkoslow a few weeks ago and got rid of all my 12 volt wallwarts with some pleasant video quality improvements as a result of the better regulation. The regulated transformer goes to an ELK 12 volt distribution box (www.automatedoutlet.com) that I mounted in the metal power supply box. Nice and clean.

I keep alarm wires seperate from network wires seperate from IR wires seperate from RG6 that are each going to their own Leviton structured boxes (Home depot).

I was planning on using regular tape to protect/keep the lable on the wire, I have used that method before and seems to work well.

I have a few power strips which were made by Channel Vision to fit in these structured wiring panels, plus I have the Elk distributed power module as well. I have to get a power supply for that Elk module as well, what are the specs of the one you bought? Once again, pictures would be great ;)

BraveSirRobbin said:
I currently have THIS Elk 12 volt 1 amp battery backed protected system; but, if I had to do it all over again I would have purchased the four amp model HERE.
BSR - the link for the 4 amp model has an errant back slash at the end and doesn't work (at least in Safari). Try this one instead.

Cheers,
Ed T.

Back