Insteon AccessPoints & RemoteLinc

MikeB

Just got my devices in today.

Installed the AccessPoints with no issue. They do link a bit differently than the SignalLincs, but still very simple.

I programmed my RemoteLinc to control my driveway (primary button on a KeypadLinc) and front door lights (InlineLinc) via PowerHome, and they work great.

My biggest concern was RF range. With X10, I had to purchase a V572A and locate an antenna up in my attic to get range at the top of my driveway. Granted, with X10 I was primarily using a small keychain remote, but even an X10 Palm Pad could not get a signal into my house from even half-way up my driveway without the V572A + attic antenna. My driveway is about 225 feet long, straight with a clear view of my house. The driveway goes uphil towards the road.

I plugged one of my AccessPoints on an outside wall on the 2nd floor, so there is only 1 wall between the top of my driveway and the AccessPoint. I am getting at LEAST 250' of range, and who knows how much more I could get. If I turn the corner and go behind a bunch of tress at the top of my driveway, the signal gets very intermittent, which is to be expected. Even with the X10 Palm Pad and my V572A, I can't get through my trees.

In any case, I'm EXTREMELY happy with the range with the AccessPoint. I thought for sure I'd have to purchase a future 'extended range' product to reach the top of my driveway. Hopefully the range stays similar with future, smaller remotes.

As for the remote itself, it's a bit larger than an X10 Palm Pad. Looks better in person than in photos, like I had heard.

On the other hand, even in person the styling is pretty weak. I love the look of the KeypadLincs (with etched buttons) and SwitchLinc V2s, so I'm dissapointed the RemoteLinc isn't as classy looking. It does have a less-than-solid, plasticy feel to it.

Hopefully if Insteon got these RF AccessPoints right, we'll be seeing a wider variety of remotes soon.

Installed the AccessPoints with no issue. The do link a bit differently than the SignalLincs, but still very simple.

I programmed my RemoteLinc to control my driveway (primary button on a KeypadLinc) and front door lights (InlineLinc) via PowerHome, and they work great.

My biggest concern was RF range. With X10, I had to purchase a V572A and locate an antenna up in my attic to get range at the top of my driveway. Granted, with X10 I was primarily using a small keychain remote, but even an X10 Palm Pad could not get a signal into my house from even half-way up my driveway without the V572A + attic antenna. My driveway is about 225 feet long, straight with a clear view of my house. The driveway goes uphil towards the road.

I plugged one of my AccessPoints on an outside wall on the 2nd floor, so there is only 1 wall between the top of my driveway and the AccessPoint. I am getting at LEAST 250' of range, and who knows how much more I could get. If I turn the corner and go behind a bunch of tress at the top of my driveway, the signal gets very intermittent, which is to be expected. Even with the X10 Palm Pad and my V572A, I can't get through my trees.

In any case, I'm EXTREMELY happy with the range with the AccessPoint. I thought for sure I'd have to purchase a future 'extended range' product to reach the top of my driveway. Hopefully the range stays similar with future, smaller remotes.

As for the remote itself, it's a bit larger than an X10 Palm Pad. Looks better in person than in photos, like I had heard.

On the other hand, even in person the styling is pretty weak. I love the look of the KeypadLincs (with etched buttons) and SwitchLinc V2s, so I'm dissapointed the RemoteLinc isn't as classy looking. It does have a less-than-solid, plasticy feel to it.

Hopefully if Insteon got these RF AccessPoints right, we'll be seeing a wider variety of remotes soon.

I wonder if this translates into better range between the access points than the signallincs. It took me a couple of hours of moving the signallincs around to find both an out of the way spot and good reception.

I wonder if this translates into better range between the access points than the signallincs. It took me a couple of hours of moving the signallincs around to find both an out of the way spot and good reception.

I'm not sure. Inside the house is different because you have walls and appliances to go through.

Also, keep in mind that when you're trying to install RemoteLincs and SignalLincs, they're not only checking to be sure they can communicate with eachother, they're also testing to be sure they are on different phases.

Installed the AccessPoints with no issue. They do link a bit differently than the SignalLincs, but still very simple.

Hmmmmmm who do you know at SH??????? ;) :p

Hmmmmmm who do you know at SH???????

Hah - no one... I think they just started shipping their "beta" units, so I'm sure people will be popping up with posts soon. I just happen to be home today with not much going on this week.

Geez, Digger... he's just saying he likes 'em... not that it's reliable stuff or anything.

Lol...

Another thing that scared me about the RF range - the manual for the AccessPoint says "for best performance when using a remote control place an AccessPoint in the same room".

Hopefully I'll play more this weekend, and post my findings.

Post here if you have any specific questions.

Hmmmmmm who do you know at SH???????

Hah - no one... I think they just started shipping their "beta" units, so I'm sure people will be popping up with posts soon. I just happen to be home today with not much going on this week.

Geez, Digger... he's just saying he likes 'em... not that it's reliable stuff or anything.

Lol...

Another thing that scared me about the RF range - the manual for the AccessPoint says "for best performance when using a remote control place an AccessPoint in the same room".

Hopefully I'll play more this weekend, and post my findings.

Post here if you have any specific questions.

Mine came to

I will open them later

Ok fired mine up........ so far the range is great. All 4 corners of my property and no problems.

The biggest thing is the quality of the remote as Mike was saying. Poor plastics, to large (especially to wide), awkward shape.

It is bidirectional transceiver (as noted in linking) but no status LED's. The tone (which the instructions dont tell you how to shut off) is annoying sound. To tinny.

The silver finish is a decent quality spray paint over white plastic (uneven paint though). They would have been better off with a colored plastic as the paint will probably chip/scratch off with time.

They should have used a glow in the dark paint for the arrows on the switches and for the 4 nylon switchs for the All on/off etc.

You cant link with houselinc............ oh well. Could be worse I guess.

Ok fired mine up........ so far the range is great. All 4 corners of my property and no problems.

The biggest thing is the quality of the remote as Mike was saying. Poor plastics, to large (especially to wide), awkward shape.

It is bidirectional transceiver (as noted in linking) but no status LED's. The tone (which the instructions dont tell you how to shut off) is annoying sound. To tinny.

The silver finish is a decent quality spray paint over white plastic (uneven paint though). They would have been better off with a colored plastic as the paint will probably chip/scratch off with time.

They should have used a glow in the dark paint for the arrows on the switches and for the 4 nylon switchs for the All on/off etc.

You cant link with houselinc............ oh well. Could be worse I guess.

Just tried mine too. I agree with ALL comments above.
Hey, if anyone figures out how to turn off the 'beep', let me know!

It does seem to -function- well so far, just poor packaging.
Jim H.

Per Dave Howard:

You can turn the beep off:

Press and hold DIM and BRIGHT until the beep
Release
Tap Bright button.
No more beep

You can also turn off the LED:

Press and hold DIM and BRIGHT until the beep
Release
Tap ALL OFF button.

Anyone have any idea (or guess) on how to add a 3rd or 4th AccessPoint to the mix?

There's no full manual, and the included instructions don't specify.

I'm assuming you'd simply use the same procedure listed in the quick start guide? Go through the same steps but "link" one of your existing AccessPoints to the third, then repeat for the fourth?

Anyone have any idea (or guess) on how to add a 3rd or 4th AccessPoint to the mix?

I'm assuming you'd simply use the same procedure listed in the quick start guide? Go through the same steps but "link" one of your existing AccessPoints to the third, then repeat for the fourth?

I asked for 4 and they sent 2. Now If I exchange them I will loose half of my coverage for weeks. I do not understand why they cant comprehend that.

After you have two on opposite phases, the rest can be plugged in anywhere you need them.

Jim H.

Back