Insteon Dimmer Switches - Can I Use Them As Traditional On/Off?

ccmichaelson

Smarthome is running a great sale this weekend for labor day (everything 22% off) and I wanted to purchase all my Intsteon wall switches (house under construction).  However, I don't know exactly how many dimmer versus on/off switches I'll need.

Can the Insteon dimmer switch (2477D) be used to turn on/off a bathroom vent fan?  What about a light which doesn't dim (understand that I wouldn't get the dimming affect but will it turn the lights on/off)?  

In other words, it would be much easier to purchase all dimming switches regardless of whether or not I need dimming capabilities (they are the same price) - yet if the switch is unable to turn on non dimming lights - or things light a ceiling fan, vent, etc. then I need to know ASAP.

Appreciate it!

No a dimmer switch should not be used on a fan motor. Even at 100% on it will react with the inductive fan motor.
Non dimming lights may also not work well with a dimmer even at 100%on.

Since the home is under construction. Deep electrical boxs. Allow the Insteon switches to fit better. They are larger than may mechanical switches. Also a Neutral power connection is needed by Insteon Switches and with no switch loops.

I use Insteon switchLink Dimmers for all my lighting as they are slowly being converted to dimmable LED, some day. I don't want to replace them later. I have noticed no ill effects from them even on non-dimmable rated CFLs.

Turn the ramp speed, set  from the factory, to the fastest setting  = 0.1 seconds and use only Fast On/Off commands with them also.

I wouldn't use them (dimmers) for a bathroom fan but only the switched units. I don't switch my fans. I use an HRV system with it's own logic.

For non-dimmable loads you will likely have things like fan hum and light flicker and may reduce the lifetime of those devices (motors, ballasts, etc). It is also against code to put a dimmer on any switched outlets due to risk of fire or injury.

You should at least be able to estimate where you are going to have fans, etc. I recommend you just order some of both types. And if you end up with some extra switches in the end that is not a bad thing, as some will fail at some point. It is good to have a few on hand for troubleshooting and replacement.

I highly recommend you use Wago lever nuts vs. twist nuts to install any HA switches as they do not last forever and electrical wires will get damaged from all the twisting and untwisting of regular nuts. I have had a couple of unfortunate times where the wires in the boxes broke and then had to replace the electrical box/wire.

I have replaced some Insteon switches 3 times for various firmware bugs or outright failure. They only have a 2 year warranty for a reason. In my last batch I have had 3 switches fail shortly after the 2 year mark.

Some motors work just fine with dimmers, but most don't. More importantly, there is no need to control the speed of a bathroom vent fan, so a simply on/off relay switch is all you need.

So would I buy the 2477S model (on/off switch). I want the ability to automate my bath fans in addition to ceiling fans and lights.

Yes, use the SwitchLinc non-dimmer, for these.

Self contained timer switches are usually cheaper unless you require the automation for other purposes, monitoring for data gathering or the uniformity and nice quality looks of an Insteon SwitchLinc.

I have had MS sensors go defective in the first month or DOA but none of my 30 Insteon SwitchLinc and Plug-in modules have ever gone defective over the last two years of usage. I don't use dimmers on motor loads, though.

Plan your controlled/dimmable switches accordingly with the size of the boxes and other devices. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's compliant or a good idea.

Back