Insteon dimmers on Ceiling fans

dhoward

Hey guys,

Do any of you have any experience using Insteon SwitchLinc dimmers on ceiling fans? I remember reading somewhere that this could be done and use the dimming capabilities to control fan speed.

I was wondering if there was any fan hum or other problems in doing this since there are currently no inductive Insteon dimmers yet.

Thanks,

Dave.

I use an Insteon Dimmer to control a bathroom fan (local control only since I cant link it). Its been in place since February and its used everyday. I have not had any problems at all using it like this.

All of my ceiling fans are controlled by single gang devices (such as Lutrons dimmer/fan speed controller or switch/fan speed controller). I dont know if Insteon can come out with a device like that in a single gang configuration.

I control my main room ceiling fan with a dimming KeypadLinc V2, I control my kitchen ceiling fans with Switchlinc V2 and they work fine, there is a little hum, but it is what is expected with dimming a motor, it is not bad.

Now upstairs I do not have neutrals so I used a $60 Switchlinc V1 RX to control the bedroom fan and it melted the switch the 2nd day... It STUNK bad too =)

So I think the Inteon stuff is ok with fans, but anything older I would avoid.

Vaughn

dhoward said:
Hey guys,

Do any of you have any experience using Insteon SwitchLinc dimmers on ceiling fans? I remember reading somewhere that this could be done and use the dimming capabilities to control fan speed.

I was wondering if there was any fan hum or other problems in doing this since there are currently no inductive Insteon dimmers yet.

Thanks,

Dave.
I seem to recall a while ago, a "secret" dev-only product roadmap was briefly publicized....

I dedicated 3-speed fan controller was on the list, but I don't recall the timeline placement...next year, apparently.

I seem to recall a while ago, a "secret" dev-only product roadmap was briefly publicized....
I dedicated 3-speed fan controller was on the list, but I don't recall the timeline placement...next year, apparently.

I remember that and I printed a copy at the time. I believe the fan controller and a few other things are due out 4th quarter. They may have postponed them for a bit .

dhoward said:
Hey guys,

Thanks,

Dave.
I tried this, but ended up with a terrible hum from a Hunter fan. I think it depends on the motor / model.

Back