Insteon Giveaway on Friday

Sorry. I feel bad for you. Probably more than most since I helped enable you. ;)

Funny part is that no issues with anything you and I did. Everything was from mine. You were actually a huge help to me but SH could not come through.

Dont feel bad.

Wow, sorry to hear your install was unusable. Years back I played around with some X10 devices and motion detectors in an apartment with old wiring. Let's just say it took years before I could even consider anything like that, so I understand the negative WAF.

For about a month I thought my wife's new boyfriend was going to enjoy the work I was doing on the living room. I couldn't get those walls patched up fast enough with the glares and criticisms I was getting... and my wife is really, really easy-going!

wait - wait - wait

just a sec

am i having a brain fart or a stroke or something? did you say your wife's new boyfriend?

i know i am reading that incorrectly because there are two pages of posts and no one mentioned it - i have experimented with the sentence structure and inserted all kindsa punctuation marks and everything short of diagramming it

but bummerlinc on the craplincs, diggerlinc

For about a month I thought my wife's new boyfriend was going to enjoy the work I was doing on the living room. I couldn't get those walls patched up fast enough with the glares and criticisms I was getting... and my wife is really, really easy-going!

wait - wait - wait

just a sec

am i having a brain fart or a stroke or something? did you say your wife's new boyfriend?

i know i am reading that incorrectly because there are two pages of posts and no one mentioned it - i have experimented with the sentence structure and inserted all kindsa punctuation marks and everything short of diagramming it

I'm betting he's being sarcastic, ie if he keeps going his wife is going to ditch him for someone else...

Wow, sorry to hear your install was unusable. Years back I played around with some X10 devices and motion detectors in an apartment with old wiring. Let's just say it took years before I could even consider anything like that, so I understand the negative WAF.

I actually think the Insteon is 10 times better than X10 (hmmm good pun if I worded it differently). But seriously when it works its great.

If I called SH and asked for a swap I had to do all kinds os resets, chnage teh bulb etc and not get anywhere. Others call and swap in a few minutes. I have a huge box of bad ones and I gave them a list and everything and 5 days later after they kept saying tomorrow and tomorrow again in writing no RMA. That sucked. They kept saying we cant the new ones are just as bad etc. Then why were they selling them. So finally they agreed to a swap but no RMA number

They offered a refund a few times and I kept saying give me a dollar amount and htey would not put it writing. But they said send them in (no RMA number no address just send them in). I am goign to send thousands of dollars of product in like that?

I have their emails saved for future reference if anyone else does a class action but I wont.

Hi,

As stated before Digger, I feel your pain (and anger). I have a 'INSTEON (evidence) box' in my garage. Actually, I have been expecting to have to defend myself in a suit from the 'big guys', thus the need for evidence. ;) I have been skirting the edge of my NDA in order to provide factual information to consumers.

I will agree that no one person at SH drove me away INSTEON, the people that I dealt with were always very polite and seemed as helpful as they could be.

At the risk of being quoted out of context again in other forums, I will state, that I learned from personal experience that a lot of the INSTEON branded stuff just does not measure up to their own published specs. I am still able to blow up the ApplianceLinc plug in modules with a 30 watt fluorescent aquarium hood light (that hood is currently popular). BLH and I first mentioned this particular problem publicly back around October of 2005. The only result of that was that a 'safety recall' was authorized. The only difference is that the risk of fire has been mitigated, the device will still fail. I controlled that very same load with an 'Intermatic' HA02, Z-Wave appliance module for six months with no problem. I have been using a 'Leviton' RZP15-1LW, Vizia-RF, appliance module for over a month. I firmly believe, that at one point in time the engineers at SmartLabs started to believe their own marketing BS. Here we are now. :unsure:

If I were an independent manufacturer (this will not happen,as Smarthome/labs owns the manufacturing rights), creating some clone of the V2 wall dimmers, I would not be able to be granted an INSTEON logo on most of my products, even a direct clone would not meet the published INSTEON specifications. I will not go into the specifics, other than saying, keep your screw drivers handy.

That sounded a bit like a sermon, but I just wanted to lay a base for my next statements and thus avoid being flamed by those who have adopted INSTEON as their HA religion. As in closed minds.

Buy the Z-Wave HA09 remote and a HA03 plug in lamp dimmer module, try them out. My wife was immediately impressed by the remote. Just a suggestion. Oh, and FYI, ALL Z-Wave logo products are tested by independent parties. For that logo to get onto a piece of hardware/software they are tested to meet the 'published specs'. I only wish that Smart* would adapt that policy for their own hardware/software.

Hey, Take care dude, and good luck with whatever you all decide to do.

Ken Miler
aka, KenM at 'techmall.com' & 'accessha.com' & 'http://forums.controlthink.com/' & 'http://www.insteon.net/SDK/FORUM/(login required).

Digger, I feel for ya man!

Does this mean we won't be hearing from ya on these forums (I actually looked forward to coming here daily to read the ongoing saga with SH)? I hope you continue to contribute to the forum.

I still think they are giving you the run-around about the RMA's (I was able to get two RMA's within a single phone call in <4 minutes).

I will show my solidarity with you by boycotting SH and Insteon.

Take care.

Hi,

As stated before Digger, I feel your pain (and anger). I have a 'INSTEON (evidence) box' in my garage. Actually, I have been expecting to have to defend myself in a suit from the 'big guys', thus the need for evidence. ;) I have been skirting the edge of my NDA in order to provide factual information to consumers.

I will agree that no one person at SH drove me away INSTEON, the people that I dealt with were always very polite and seemed as helpful as they could be.

At the risk of being quoted out of context again in other forums, I will state, that I learned from personal experience that a lot of the INSTEON branded stuff just does not measure up to their own published specs. I am still able to blow up the ApplianceLinc plug in modules with a 30 watt fluorescent aquarium hood light (that hood is currently popular). BLH and I first mentioned this particular problem publicly back around October of 2005. The only result of that was that a 'safety recall' was authorized. The only difference is that the risk of fire has been mitigated, the device will still fail. I controlled that very same load with an 'Intermatic' HA02, Z-Wave appliance module for six months with no problem. I have been using a 'Leviton' RZP15-1LW, Vizia-RF, appliance module for over a month. I firmly believe, that at one point in time the engineers at SmartLabs started to believe their own marketing BS. Here we are now. :unsure:

If I were an independent manufacturer (this will not happen,as Smarthome/labs owns the manufacturing rights), creating some clone of the V2 wall dimmers, I would not be able to be granted an INSTEON logo on most of my products, even a direct clone would not meet the published INSTEON specifications. I will not go into the specifics, other than saying, keep your screw drivers handy.

That sounded a bit like a sermon, but I just wanted to lay a base for my next statements and thus avoid being flamed by those who have adopted INSTEON as their HA religion. As in closed minds.

Buy the Z-Wave HA09 remote and a HA03 plug in lamp dimmer module, try them out. My wife was immediately impressed by the remote. Just a suggestion. Oh, and FYI, ALL Z-Wave logo products are tested by independent parties. For that logo to get onto a piece of hardware/software they are tested to meet the 'published specs'. I only wish that Smart* would adapt that policy for their own hardware/software.

Hey, Take care dude, and good luck with whatever you all decide to do.

Ken Miler
aka, KenM at 'techmall.com' & 'accessha.com' & 'http://forums.controlthink.com/' & 'http://www.insteon.net/SDK/FORUM/(login required).

The longer they ignore that they could never even provide an RMA number in the year 2007 within 5 days the angrier I get. I wrote in to managers at SH and never got an acknowledgement. They dont care. The lower level employees care but are powerless to fix it.

I am out $3k because for months they kept telling me they would not replace bad devices under warranty and yet they did for others and kept selling the product. They admit in writing that they have not fixed teh product and they keep selling them.

It would be so easy to sue them with what they put in writing and never followed through with. They offered to buy me out to shut me up but never gave me a dollar amount. I agreed to a simple swap and an extended warranty for the paddles only since I do like the product when it works. They agreed but said they had to send it via fax which they knew I did not have. The would not put it in an email attachement. They just could not come up with an RMA #. STRANGE HUH.

Yes I have an evidence box that I may or may not keep with the printouts of their emails.

Digger, I feel for ya man!

Does this mean we won't be hearing from ya on these forums (I actually looked forward to coming here daily to read the ongoing saga with SH)? I hope you continue to contribute to the forum.

I still think they are giving you the run-around about the RMA's (I was able to get two RMA's within a single phone call in <4 minutes).

I will show my solidarity with you by boycotting SH and Insteon.

Take care.

I have emails from them saying they could not come up with RMA #'s and to just send it in anyway (no address supplied).

Dave -

Let's do this. Setting up the individual RMA numbers is actually going to take me quite a bit of time to set up as most of these returning switches are from different order numbers. Rather than have you wait for me to get all of these completed, go ahead and send all of the switches to my personal attention at Smarthome.

(A single RMA number cannot be issued for this return as the items belong to different order numbers)

Once I have received the returning product, I'll be able to internally mark the items returned according to their individual order numbers and get the refund processed. (This email communication is your official RMA confirmation that these items will be returned for refund by Smarthome upon their return).

By end of day on Monday, I'll have in the mail on Smarthome letterhead the 7 year warranty extension confirmation for the remaining switches that you own, from their original date of purchase.

Please let me know when the items have been shipped so that I can be expecting them to arrive.

Thanks.

Ryan Christensen
Smarthome

But the agreement the day before and before that and before that etc. was a swap with an RMA number. Never materializes. Yet you got RMA numbers in about 5 mins each. So you figure 16 RMA's could be done in about. 2 or 3 hours. Figure they are busy they could have done it in 2 days. In addition a refund for how much? I did not buy them all there. They would not tell me how much I would get. $5 each or what?

I would have crossed shipped if they wanted to and let them put it on my charge but that was never allowed either.

Digger,

Keep your 'evidence box', who knows?

You, or I, cannot sue this company and hope to prevail. I, personally do not want to. That would be a fool's errand.

I firmly believe that time has a way of working things out. Karma?

Ken

Digger,

Keep your 'evidence box', who knows?

You, or I, cannot sue this company and hope to prevail. I, personally do not want to. That would be a fool's errand.

I firmly believe that time has a way of working things out. Karma?

Ken

I never wanted to sue either. Heck if they had done the swap I would have posted nice things about them. The excuses they gave me in writing are hilarious. You dont have a fax machine, what colors do you want (they only come in white and you swap the paddle yourself and I documented I have tons of extras), how many do you want (after I gave it to them in writing), dont you want a refund instead, you bought so many at different times RMA will take days, etc.

Was I supposed to buy 80 or 90 at once?

The ones you didn't buy through SM retail you should take it up with the dealer that sold them to you.

SM retailing them is one reason I would never consider selling them. If you buy a GE camera from me, I'll honor it for the GE warantee timeframe. Most likely your dealer will have an easier time getting out of them but still after 30 or so days few get an actual refund.

I have read many times people complaining about how Honeywell or Ademco service sucks and they just refer you to your dealer... It really works better for the customer in this fashion. The dealer shouldn't be selling products they know nothing about (I don't sell GE applicances, I have a buddy that does) and the manufacturer has too much on their plate for this. They don't budget EU support so they really are only partially equipped to actually provide it.

SM selling retail makes them basically all up for it for any devices you bought directly from them. ;)

I look at smarthome as just another sharper image, cool stuff very low quality.

The ones you didn't buy through SM retail you should take it up with the dealer that sold them to you.

SM retailing them is one reason I would never consider selling them. If you buy a GE camera from me, I'll honor it for the GE warantee timeframe. Most likely your dealer will have an easier time getting out of them but still after 30 or so days few get an actual refund.

I have read many times people complaining about how Honeywell or Ademco service sucks and they just refer you to your dealer... It really works better for the customer in this fashion. The dealer shouldn't be selling products they know nothing about (I don't sell GE applicances, I have a buddy that does) and the manufacturer has too much on their plate for this. They don't budget EU support so they really are only partially equipped to actually provide it.

SM selling retail makes them basically all up for it for any devices you bought directly from them. ;)

I look at smarthome as just another sharper image, cool stuff very low quality.

I have no clue which switch I bought at which dealer or SH since I did not record address's when I received them. If I have 12 Icons did I buy all there? 14 V2 relays and 5 are bad where did the 5 come from? I would be screwing the dealer if I tried making him honor SH warranty. SH should honor their own warranty.

Back