INSTEON -> HouseLinc Desktop (Beta) Now Available

Threadhead

From the Smarthome HouseLinc Desktop Software page:
  • Now Accepting Orders for Beta Software - Quantities Limited
  • Software allows easy home control and management of all INSTEON and X10 devices
  • Schedule lights to turn on and off at specific times or create lighting events
  • Translates X10 to INSTEON and vice versa
  • Control devices directly from your PC through a powerline interface (sold separately)
  • Computer must remain on for timers and triggered events
OK, I'm interested. Any one try it yet?
What do you think?
Is is worth the $50 ($70 retail - $20 MIR)?

Shoot, I was REALLY hoping for a free configuration tool to handle linking and configuration, like UPstart is for UPB.

Heck they are even raising their prices on the switches etc. I think they see this as a goldmine.

From the description it looks like its more then just a linking utility, with some scheduling capabilities if the PC is kept running. I agree, though, that they should offer some type of free linking-only utility.

The bigger picture here is that Smarthome has finally got software!

This is a big deal for Smarthome and to the home automation industry! Now that Smarthome has thier own software I believe we should see widespread support for Insteon products.

It seems that most of the lighting topics on this site are centered around Insteon and because of that I would imagine that most everyone here should be jumping up and down.

Let's just hope that they don't pull the plug on this.

I just visited the Smarthome Website. The Icon Dimmer is still 19.99. The Icon Relay has been increased to 24.99.

I'm not sure about you guys but I bought all of my Insteon SwitchLinc V2 dimmers for $29.99 and now they are $39.99. It was probably introductory baiting err pricing. Either way they were a lot cheaper than the old X10 2 way switches.

I wonder if the software has not been released yet because they are going to come out with an updated SDM, that fixes some of the problems that exist. I hope soon.

Rupp said:
I'm not sure about you guys but I bought all of my Insteon SwitchLinc V2 dimmers for $29.99 and now they are $39.99. It was probably introductory baiting err pricing. Either way they were a lot cheaper than the old X10 2 way switches.
Umm, as an Insteon watcher since day 1, I don't ever recall them being $29, unless it was a clearly marked very short term sale. I know they started at $59 and dropped to $39.

Back