Insteon Keypadlinc problems

pkoslow said:
I'll try today to add X10 addresses to the Keypadlinc buttons, but don't know how well X10 will still work in my house after adding all the Insteon. After I installed 8-10 Insteon devices, my X10 signals got really unreliable. At this point, I've added more Insteon and have removed X10 devices completely from the system so hate to fall back to it for the Keypadlinc buttons!
Paul,

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get HS to see my keypadlinc button presses as well, and that's using Insteon. Hoping it's better with the new firmware, which should arrive by the middle of next week as a swap out from SH.

For X10, I only have 3 circuits, 2 garage door closers (Powerflash and Universal module in case I forget to close them at night - they can't open it) and an RCS thermostat remaining. It's completely worthless if I try to use the Insteon PLC for X10, but my CM11A still communicates X10 just fine, even with the Insteon PLC active. I just put them on two different circuits in the house. Could use of the Insteon PLC for X10 be your culprit?

SmartLabsMike said:
I do not know all of the customer service terms. I sent a note to the team about RMA's from other outlets.
Mike,

Thanks!

I think it's important for SH to realize that many of us have purchased from outlets other than Smarthome because of a long history of customer support from these dealers. As I see it, SH is in a very unique situation because it does both manufacturing and retail sales. If a problem exists because of a manufacturing problem, firmware situation, faulty component part or other known defect it seems that the best thing for SH to do would be to RMA items directly. Of course, if it's just a one time faulty piece of equipment, then an RMA with the dealer seems most appropriate.

It might go a long way toward having the automation (and dealer??) community embrace Insteon over other technologies if this policy were enacted. Personally, I need the more indepth support offered by some dealers (such as Martin at AO). They are able to answer questions and offer advice that comes from years of experience, and this just hasn't been possible for SH's more mass-market oriented sales staff. That's not a slight to SH in any way - it's just that the dealer network seems to specialize in the more complex areas while SH's staff and even those to whom we might be forwarded are set up for the general public.

And finally, thanks for being active on the board. It is noticed, and appreciated.

Madcodger said:
Paul,

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get HS to see my keypadlinc button presses as well, and that's using Insteon. Hoping it's better with the new firmware, which should arrive by the middle of next week as a swap out from SH.

....Could use of the Insteon PLC for X10 be your culprit?
I did some testing with X10 when I first received my Insteon 2414S and realized quickly that it didn't have near the reliability of my existing X10 interface that's connected to an Ocelot.

For now, I'm still using the other interface for X10 (I think it's a X10 Pro PCS05?).

I haven't wokred with this much this weekend, but have found now that some of my Insteon switches are turning the local load off right after it's been turned on manually at the switch???

Doesn't happen everytime, but some times it takes turning the light on 2-3 times before it will stay on and I've had this happen on 4-5 switches now?

I don't expect it's the switch itself, but more likely something goofy coming back from the ELK or HomeSeer... will have to watch some logging to see if I can get some clues on this...

*What little I've setup up on the Keypadlinc buttons with X10 actually seems to be working okay so far. I've got Wake, Sleep, and Dinner Time buttons setup (the wake and sleep are duplicated on 2-3 keypads) and with HS scripting I'm keeping all the button indicators showing the proper status. Only going on two days, so don't know how reliable it will remain?

Thanks,
Paul

pkoslow said:
found now that some of my Insteon switches are turning the local load off right after it's been turned on manually at the switch???

Doesn't happen everytime, but some times it takes turning the light on 2-3 times before it will stay on and I've had this happen on 4-5 switches now?

I don't expect it's the switch itself, but more likely something goofy coming back from the ELK or HomeSeer... will have to watch some logging to see if I can get some clues on this...
Well, I'm not seeing that, so perhaps you could start testing with the Elk. Any chance there's some left over, motion based or other triggered event interfering?

As for the keypadlinc items you mentioned using X10, I think I may have to go that route. Having no luck getting HS to reliably see the Insteon only button presses on the keypadlinc. The lights are now working fine, but HS just doesn't seem to like picking up the Insteon button presses.

I'm still new to the M1 automation event programming, but still have very little in place as I wiped out all my test events so I don't think it's Elk events?

I'm also starting with a fresh HS2 config 'ugh' to replace my 7yr old config that been continually updated and modified over the years and 3 different houses.

It's also odd that the lights won't always turn off? If it was a rule or event that I'd goofed up, it should happen everytime???

Will continue to monitor and test this week and will report back. Let me know how you make out if you revert to X10 for the buttons...

Paul

I've got about 50 Insteon devices. I have not seen the issue you mention yet. They're not sending and responding to X-10 are they?

I had many issues with the various HS Insteon releases and decided to wait a bit before revisiting it.

Elk Insteon has been very reliable - if somewhat "simple". I hadn't thought of using X10 mode for keypad buttons. Like you, I have just gotten rid of X-10 so please let us know if you find something else that works.

OK, I added two X10 addresses to two separate keypadlinc buttons, and my HS system responds perfectly to them. MUCH more reliable than having HS pick up an Insteon button being turned on via status change (i.e., sending an Insteon "on" to the PLC from the KPL button).

Only odd thing I'm having right now is that occasionally I'm seeing some of my KPL buttons turned on for no apparent reason. The load connected to them is not on, but the buttons are (and only one or two per KPL, not generally all). No leftover linked / half-linked devices showing up in the responder listing for them via PH, either. Any ideas?

SmartLabsMike said:
jeffx said:
SmartLabsMike said:
We updated the firmware a while ago to remove the backlight flicker.  Give tech support a call and they will swap it for you.

Also, does Smarthome handle the Warranty RMA's for the devices purchased from other stores?
Hi Jeff,

I do not know all of the customer service terms. I sent a note to the team about RMA's from other outlets.
I was curious if there was an update regarding this.

upstatemike said:
Maybe one of the features of extended messaging will be the ability to do firmware updates through software? Maybe in the future it will be an option within HouseLinc or PowerHome instead of an RMA process?
Sorry Mike, this will not be an option. There is too much data to 'download' without a physical connection to the device

Smartlabsmike,

Isnt all of the returns killing the profit on the product? Some of us have had to return a lot of devices. Also with the changes that are "rumoured" all of our devices will be incompatible with the newer software and will need to be replaced. If we could flash it then there would be no problems.

Digger said:
Isnt all of the returns killing the profit on the product? Some of us have had to return a lot of devices.
And for me, some will have been returned twice. Once for the resistir issue and now for the flicker.

What I would like to see is an easy way to swap out the insides leaving the wiring in place. For example, have the internals be a modular component that can pop in and out of the plastic case. Replacing switches in multi-gang boxes is a PITA.

SmartLabsMike said:
upstatemike said:
Maybe one of the features of extended messaging will be the ability to do firmware updates through software? Maybe in the future it will be an option within HouseLinc or PowerHome instead of an RMA process?
Sorry Mike, this will not be an option. There is too much data to 'download' without a physical connection to the device
How about making the firmware-updating device available for purchase/loan (this has been discussed in previous posts)? I agree that changing switches in multi-gang boxes is a major PITA and puts a lot of unnecessary wear-and-tear on the wiring in those boxes.

Repeated RMA's are only going to continue to drive up the price of the products, which we would all like to avoid.

Mike said:
SmartLabsMike said:
jeffx said:
SmartLabsMike said:
We updated the firmware a while ago to remove the backlight flicker. Give tech support a call and they will swap it for you.

Also, does Smarthome handle the Warranty RMA's for the devices purchased from other stores?
Hi Jeff,

I was curious if there was an update regarding this.
SmartLabsMike, is there any word on this?

A little info I can add on returns from other outlets, and a comment / plea re: firmware-caused changeouts:

First, I can report that SH agreed to switch out some KPLs and a Switchlinc purchased via non-SH outlets, but it took a conversatoin with four separate people at SH to accomplish this. I won't report the names of the individuals that finally authorized this, as I don't have their permission to do so, but in the end we worked out a reasonable compromise. It did involve them charging me for the replacement items prior to shipment and THEN crediting me when the equipment is returned, but in the end this was a compromise I was willing to accept for my own circumstances. I just installed the equipment over the long weekend and sent it back today, and I have no reason to doubt they will credit me without delay. So, there is a precendent for this that I hope SH will continue.

As I pointed out in another post, SH is in a unique situation as both a manufacturer and retailer. At the same time I sent back the items to SH, I also returned four Insteon switches to Automated Outlet for credit. Why the difference? Because these four switches were just "bad" - i.e., they wouldn't turn on, or turn off, or fried at the first "on", etc. and the problem couldn't be traced to a KNOWN PRODUCT PROBLEM. That's my criteria for who should be responsible for the return... if it's a known bug, then SH should handle it directly. If it's just a bad switch, then the dealer should handle it. BTW, the Automated Outlet folks agreed to accept this return graciously, as always. They just can't be beat...

Now, for the firmware - required changeouts. MIKE, PLEASE HAVE SL / SH FIGURE OUT A WAY TO DO THIS VIA A LOANER DEVICE OR SOME METHOD OTHER THAN CHANGING OUT THE HARDWARE. Having just switched out 7 KPLs and two Switchlincs, some in multigang boxes, I don't want to have to do this again for the same switches. It's just NOT reasonable, and I'm actually a bit concerned about the wear and tear on wiring that this would cause. I know this may not be EASY, but I doubt it's impossible for SL / SH. For those of us who were early adopters and have a lot of devices, this is a real issue. Also, I've returned a total of 15 devices in all, out of the 62 in my system, due to either known bugs or DOA equipment. That's a REALLY high failure / bug rate. I'm sticking with Insteon and have encouraged others to do the same because I think the technology is promising, but we all have our limits. But if I have to change out the SAME devices again, you guys may be getting 62 of these things back. There MUST be a better way!

Back