Insteon Keypadlinc Relay????

Digger

Does anyone remember all of those products that were supposed to come out last year? The Keypadlinc Relay is the one I need the most. I asked SH Customer Service last month and they said they were not aware of this product.

Has anyone heard when this product might be available?

I need a bunch of them also, but SmartHome is keeping quiet about any possible new products :(

I didnt think that this product would take that long since they already have the dimmer version and they have plenty of other relay products. They just need to rework the dimmer version to include the relay circuit copied out of a relay switch (I am sure its more difficult then it sounds but its not a totally new design either).

They need some quick wins as far as new products. Its also at the top of the price range for them and they would also sell more accessories for them (light pipes and engraved buttons).

Digger, I hear ya!

KeypadLinc Relay is also the item I need most. Several locations I would like a keypad, have heavy loads (ceiling fans, etc.) and require a relay. I have no where to place an InlineLinc, as the fans' hood spaces are already filled with RF remote control units, the J-boxes have no room, etc. Nor am I inclined to go with InlineLincs in hard to access locations. I want to maintain an actual physical capability such as a local switch load offers.

I was told by a tech last December that they were not far off. But with Smarthome's new clamshell policy, I'm not holding my breath. I've also felt that it would be a very simple way for them to get a new product out, as they've already got relay switches, keypads, etc. All the required technology, in fact.

I hadn't considered the accessories angle, nor that they were at the top of the price chart. You make good points there. Given that they are much in demand, they would be a great win for Smarthome!

Although I will not deny the product I can say that our stance is to not comment on new products before they are available for sale on the web.

Mike,

While you guys are dreaming up products, I could really use an Insteon switch to control my ceiling fan speeds. Using a dimmer gives them the dreaded hum and can't be good for the fan, so I can't automate any fans that might require a speed change. There's got to be a decent market for them...

Thanks.

While you guys are dreaming up products, I could really use an Insteon switch to control my ceiling fan speeds. Using a dimmer gives them the dreaded hum and can't be good for the fan, so I can't automate any fans that might require a speed change. There's got to be a decent market for them...

I might buy 4. It depends on how well the dimmers work in my situation.

I use dimmers on my bathroom fans and they work fine locally. The one does not link so I cant control it with the ELK or Houselinc. Funny that its in the same box and circuit as a relay for the CFL light in the shower and the relay linked fine.

FYI guys

Up to 19 installed devices and reliability is getting better it seems. So the more you add the better the reliability may be a true statement. Just hope I have enough switches in my house to get to a near perfect reliability. In troubleshooting these some it appears that some devices just dont receive the signal well. If I replace the device the new one seems to get the signal fine. Could they be off frequency or something???????

Digger said:
Does anyone remember all of those products that were supposed to come out last year?
These are for 2006, not 2007. :D

Q1 & Q2
Linc Management Software
ICON KeypadLinc
ToggleLinc V2 Relay (White or Ivory)
ToggleLinc V2 Dimmer (White or Ivory)
In Line Modules (Dimmer and Relay)
ContoLinc Maxi w/ INSTEON Features
Linc Essential Software
PowerLinc Bare Bones (no daughter card)
SignaLinc Hardwired Phase Coupler

Q3
KeypadLinc Relay
Lamp Socket Dimmer
PowerLinc Ethernet
RF Remote Control
Hybrid (RF and PLC) Lamp Module
IR Linc - (Insteon to/from IR)
I/O Linc - (One input/one relay output)
ChimeLinc

Q4
3-Speed Fan Control Switch
SwitchLinc Dimmer (RF only for no neutrals)
KeypadLinc with LCD Display
RF Remote Control with LCD
Linc Plus Software
PIR RF Motion Sensor
RF Key Fob
Hybrid Lamp Module with Local Control

I have that list also. They are almost caught up with the Q1 and Q2 of last year. Hopefully they will pick up the pace.

Although I will not deny the product I can say that our stance is to not comment on new products before they are available for sale on the web.

Okay, someone please help me out here.

I know that Mike can't make any official comment on this, but it seems that he is trying to let us know something by this statement. Problem is, I can't quite figure out what?

Reading it one way, it sounds like he is trying to tell us, "It's in the queue and will be out in due course--I just can't say so officially." But perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part. Looking at his comment another way, it sound like he could be saying, "This can't be said officially, but I'm trying to let you guys know that you shouldn't be holding your breath on this product, 'cause it ain't gonna happen!"

What reading did the rest of you get from Mike's comment?

I know that Mike can't make any official comment on this, but it seems that he is trying to let us know something by this statement. Problem is, I can't quite figure out what?

Reading it one way, it sounds like he is trying to tell us, "It's in the queue and will be out in due course--I just can't say so officially." But perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part. Looking at his comment another way, it sound like he could be saying, "This can't be said officially, but I'm trying to let you guys know that you shouldn't be holding your breath on this product, 'cause it ain't gonna happen!"

What reading did the rest of you get from Mike's comment?

Its hard to tell what Mike meant since you cant read a person through email etc and he was very vague. SH does not seem to care what customers think or how much they screw up a customer.

I had a switchlinc V2 relay go bad this week (arching). Tried tech support and it was a waste of time. I wont go nto detail but the guy had NO CLUE!!!!

Another device for the garbage!!!

I will admit that with a little over 20 devices I hsve less problems with missed commands. Still happens but not as often. I did replace all of the "falky " older ones so that may be why. Or it is the quantity. In any case its getting better.

I did replace all of the "falky " older ones so that may be why.

Digger, I do believe you've coined a new word, "falky." Is that a combination of flakey and faulty :p ?

Yeah I havent been feeling well lately and it was starting to get late. But there may be some truth to your interpretation ;)

Its a shame that they act like they do. I have a bunch more devices to install and MAYBE with another 10 the reliability will be fine. If it is great........ but it should work with just 2 technically.

The device died...... it happens.... stand behind it without having teh customer spend an hour on the phone with tech support doing things totally unrelated to the problem (it was arcing inside and he told me to do a reset, replace the bulbs (3 15 watt cfl's) and other things). Once I told him I could see carbon tracking on the board (my mistake for thinking he would understand taht I guess) it should have been a no brainer that a reset would not help. He just seemed to be following a script. I have nooooo patience for that and I guess he was just following policy so its nothing personel with the guy.

They need tech support with technical experience. At least he spoke english :lol:

....What reading did the rest of you get from Mike's comment?

He said there is no such product for sale from Smarthome. He said he cannot deny that they promoted such a product a couple of years ago.

Thus, the product is no closer to the market than it was a year ago...that means there are significant issues somewhere along the line.

My guess is that the device "cooks" itself....

Back