Insteon PowerLinc USB flashes on/off constantly

johnnynine

Is it normal for my Insteon PowerLinc USB's LED to flash on/off countless times per second? I mean it's flickering like crazy?

What causes it to flash?

Also what is the Set button on the Powerlinc for?

Try unplugging it for a minute to see if it stops. This happened to me with a LampLinc once and that was how I cleared it.

I unplugged it from my PC and from the wall for about 10 minutes and after plugging it back into the wall only it is still blinking constantly. Maybe this is normal, although I don't remember it behaving this way when I 1st got it.

Is there a way to clear/reset it?

I believe that means the coreapp is corrupt. Try calling Smarthome Support on how to fix it. I have reloaded mine a few times, but I am in the SDK and have the program to do it. Which model. If it is the 2814U Icon Timer one try the 'Options' 'Reset Timer' tab.
I believe in accessha.com
Ken M had a way with his program to do it also.

Also, what happens if you move your PLC to an outlet away from your PC?

The SET button can be used to "LINK" devices to the PLC... just like you would a Lamp Module. This allows for accurate status updates in software (when supported).

Mine is sitting right on my desk and the LED is on steady. I think a call to SH tech support is going to be the shortest path to resolving this.

Bizarre, in some outlets it doesn't blink at all, in others it blinks occationally, and in others it blinks super super fast.

In one outlet it did not blink, but when I plugged it into it's mate it did blink some. By mate I mean ... Each outlet has 2 plug ins. (sorry for the poor terminalogy).

Ok, a call to SmartHome has solved the problem

As soon as I turn my computer off the rapid flashing stops. So my computer is introducing the line noise.

According to SmartHome technical service a noise filter such as the 1626-10 FilterLinc will fix the problem.

Thanks for everyones help.

Johnny

OH a computer making noise. My APC BX1000 UPS didn't make noise but sucked up almost all of my X10 signals and I would guess Insteon also [had filter before Insteon]. I had to add thet exact same Smarthome filter to my UPS to fix the problems.

Considering the Powerlinc's are more than likely going to be plugged into an outlet near a computer there ought to be a disclaimer about the potential line noise.

I was able to reliably send commands to devices with the line noise present. I assume it was doing retries.

However I was not able to use any software that would do auto discover, or link anything to the usb unit.

Once I get the filter I will post an update.

Johnny

johnnynine said:
Considering the Powerlinc's are more than likely going to be plugged into an outlet near a computer there ought to be a disclaimer about the potential line noise.

I was able to reliably send commands to devices with the line noise present. I assume it was doing retries.

However I was not able to use any software that would do auto discover, or link anything to the usb unit.

Once I get the filter I will post an update.

Johnny
If you don't want to wait for the filter, just use a longer USB cable and plug the PowerLinc into a different circuit.

Thanks upstatemike, that's what I ended up doing for a couple days.

I received the the FilterLinc, plugged my power strip into it and it solved the problem.

Before the PowerLinc's LED would flash horrifically and it would miss insteon traffic and linkings. With the Filterlinc installed, those things now work.

Johnny

Back