Insteon Programming

Mike C

Hi All,

I just removed a few hundred bucks worth of X10 only SwitchLincs and replaced them with the equivalent Insteon switches.

I am hitting a road block in terms of setting everything up....

This is in my basement/home theater. At the top of the stairs is one switch which I want to use to turn all the lights on or off. The basement/home theater area has a total of 5 different lighting areas (ie pots, sconces etc). I have 2 KeypadLincs at opposite ends of the basement for setting various 'scenes' (6 key versions). Total switch count is 2 keypadlincs, 4 switchlincs.

I want to have the KeypadLincs setup with 6 scenes -> On/Off and then 4 variations of dimmed lighting. I want the same scenes on each KeypadLinc. I would like each KeypadLinc to indicate the current scene that is set.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this with Insteon.

This was doable with the X10 versions. Programming was easy to automate with Girder making it quick replace a dead switch. Now, if I manage it get it working, it looks like a nigthmare to fix if I need to replace a switch :D

Lastly, what is with the 'white' light in the Insteon switches? Its ugly. And the light pipes for the Switchlincs are not much better.

Thanks for any help...

Mike

I found the Blue Light Pipe replacements better than the bright white ones. Still bright in my thoughts but much better than the white ones.

Not sure I understand the question? You set the 4 switches the way you want them for the first scene. Then you link the appropeiate button on the first keypad to each switch. Then link the correct button on the second keypad to each swith. Then link the button on the first keypad to the button on the second keypad. Then link the button on the second keypad to the button on the first keypad. Then repeat the entire process for each of the other three scenes.

If you are controlling ON/OFF for all 4 swithches from the keypads then program same as a scene. If you are controlling local loads with the keypads then you need to provide more details on what you are doing.

You set the 4 switches the way you want them for the first scene. Then you link the appropeiate button on the first keypad to each switch. Then link the correct button on the second keypad to each swith. Then link the button on the first keypad to the button on the second keypad. Then link the button on the second keypad to the button on the first keypad. Then repeat the entire process for each of the other three scenes.

Too clarify, the 2 keypads also control 2 areas of lighting. How does one set the brightness level for the lights on the keypad while also trying to link to it?

In this scenario, I pick one of the keypads to be a 'master'. I use it to link to the 3 switchlincs and the other keypad, creating in essence 6 scenes (full on, off, 4 dimmed variations). The I have to link the on/off/a..d buttons of the master keypad to the buttons on the 'slave' keypad and then all the buttons on the slave back to the master? And then for the switch at the top of the stairs (which I want to act as a all/off switch) -> what do I link that to? To all the switches in the basement or too the master keypad?

And then, what happens when one of the keypads dies?

BLH said:
I found the Blue Light Pipe replacements better than the bright white ones. Still bright in my thoughts but much better than the white ones.
There are no light replacements for the keypads. I don't think they look anywhere near as nice as the 'old' keypad lincs or switchlincs.

Mike C said:
There are no light replacements for the keypads.
Sure there are. Every button on my KeypadLincs are a different color. I usually leave the big ON and OFF ones that contol the local load white but make each of the others red, green, yellow, and blue. I carry the color plan from keypad to keypad so the "blue button" always controls the same thing even if the button position needs to change from one keypad to the next.

upstatemike said:
Mike C said:
There are no light replacements for the keypads. 
Sure there are. Every button on my KeypadLincs are a different color. I usually leave the big ON and OFF ones that contol the local load white but make each of the others red, green, yellow, and blue. I carry the color plan from keypad to keypad so the "blue button" always controls the same thing even if the button position needs to change from one keypad to the next.
See them now, they didn't have them when I order the keypads.

Mike can you check my other post above and let me know if I have the process you suggest right?

Mike C said:
Too clarify, the 2 keypads also control 2 areas of lighting.  How does one set the brightness level for the lights on the keypad while also trying to link to it?

Press and hold the large OFF button to set the dim level you want. Press the set button once to lock the level. Press and hold the keypad button representing the scene until it goes into linking mode. Press and hold the large ON button until the link is established. In other words you are linking two buttons on the same keypad.

In this scenario, I pick one of the keypads to be a 'master'.  I use it to link to the 3 switchlincs and the other keypad, creating in essence 6 scenes (full on, off, 4 dimmed variations).

You cannot control a light by controlling another keypad that controls that light. You cannot control another keypad at all apart from the integrated dimmer (same as any other switch) and the LEDs to keep things in synch. If you want a keypad to do anything to a light there must be a specific link between the keypad and the light.

The I have to link the on/off/a..d buttons of the master keypad to the buttons on the 'slave' keypad and then all the buttons on the slave back to the master?  And then for the switch at the top of the stairs (which I want to act as a all/off switch) -> what do I link that to?  To all the switches in the basement or too the master keypad?

You need to use grouping (scenes) as described on page 24 of the keypad manual. All of the buttons involved must be cross linked twice in a process so complex it defies description. The manual says call tech support for help doing this.

And then, what happens when one of the keypads dies?
Pray they come out with some software tools before that happens!

Thanks for that detailed description... I am running to reinstall my X10 switches :D

The software side seems a way off. The SDK and firmware of the devices is still in a state of flux. All of my devices have 'old' firmware and need to be replaced anyways.

Mike,

I am having trouble getting the buttons a keypad to control the local load a 6 different levels...

Ie. I want a 6 button keypadlinc to have 6 preset dim levels (fullon, 4 levels, off). This is just local control of the load connected to the keypadlinc...

Thanks

Mike

Hi All,

Just got an email from Smarthome confirming this is not currently possible but a firmware update due soon will fix this limitiation.

Mike C said:
Hi All,

Just got an email from Smarthome confirming this is not currently possible but a firmware update due soon will fix this limitiation.
Cool. How do you install the firmware upgrade?

Unfortunately, there's no way for the end-user to upgrade the firmware on a KeypadLinc. You'll either have to buy a new one, or get support to exchange the old one for one for a new one.

That is the problem with Insteon in my opinion (cant upgrade firmware). I had mentioned that to Smarthome Mike and he said that there should never be a need to upgrade firmware since they would not be adding features (in another thread on here).

At the time I am sure he could not foresee something like this but I am afraid to buy more until things stabilize. I already spent about $1K on everything involved and I have a bunch I never installed that I am thinking of returning and waiting about 6 months or so before buying more.

I have to admit that they are working better now that I replaced my CFL's. I still acnt shut all off with one command (have to resend a few times) and I cant get a few to link with each other or the ELK. I have 10 installed so far and only 5 linked. The others just wont link so they are like a regular switch.

Not sure if the above problem is noise or if its a weak mesh. I have the RF links in place and they appear to be working.

Have to play with them more next week.

Xpendable said:
Unfortunately, there's no way for the end-user to upgrade the firmware on a KeypadLinc. You'll either have to buy a new one, or get support to exchange the old one for one for a new one.
That will be unpleasant since I have a lot of them and they all have custom labels and color kits that would have to be transferred.

It would make a lot more sense to plug in a cable and run a firmware update program of some sort.

Back