Insteon RF

You are correct. IIRC it was supposed to be released sometime in

4Q 2005

I guess they missed.

Yeah, I think it may be the first time a technology company missed a planned release date!

Gregory,

You can turn the beep off:

Press and hold DIM and BRIGHT until the beep
Release
Tap Bright button.
No more beep

You can also turn off the LED:

Press and hold DIM and BRIGHT until the beep
Release
Tap ALL OFF button.

Dave.

Mike Boulanger said:
Yeah, I think it may be the first time a technology company missed a planned release date!
And I would agree if it were technology. All we are talking about is a plastic bracket to hold a Controllinc.

Digger said:
Every switch I've swapped - and it's a lot - has been replaced promptly and politely with a unit with much newer code and a much later address on it. Some of the addresses I'm getting are "getting up there" if they're using numbers only though... gonna run out of unique addresses pretty quick if it takes two or three addresses to get a winner.

Do you just walk in and say you have a defective device and they swap it? Or do you have to go through tech support like the rest of us?

I think they may have to recycle the address's at some point. I would love to know how many they have manufactured and how many they have had returned. And also how many went in the garbage after teh 1 year warranty was up for Icons etc.
Yes, I just walk in and hand the defective units to them and tell them what is wrong (dead or flashing or whatever) and they hand me new ones in the box. No tech-support BS. Same as I went through back with the early SwitchLinc X10 units. I suppose they know me a bit at this point. I've spent a few bucks there. :huh:

I have not had a single one that they wouldn't swap. They don't track the serial number (or unit ID) on the sale, so as long as my account shows that I've purchased at least one unit in the last year, that's the receipt / order they use to return against.

The units I just got are the first I've had in the 09 range in the first octet - meaning they've still got a ways to go, but that's climbing pretty fast. Three octets worth of addresses means 16 million units, I believe, so we're probably okay for a while... but if with units that are 09.99.xx now, it seems like they're into a few million addresses so far.

Dave, thank you!

While you're "here", have you been able to successfully "factory reset" your RemoteLinc? This one doesn't seem to want to. Perhaps once I get PowerHome up and running I can clear the links so it won't matter. ;)

As to wall-mounting... I just don't see this thing as a good wall-mount... but then I didn't think much of the Stick-A-Linc thingy either, so maybe I'm a poor judge. It's a table-top thing... for where a plugged-in Simply Automated box with an 8-button KeypadLinc won't work. If you haven't tried that setup, check it out: pretty cool.

If you haven't tried that setup, check it out:

I love the idea of that box, but I just haven't found a use for one yet in my house.

I'm sure I'll think of something...

Yes, I just walk in and hand the defective units to them and tell them what is wrong (dead or flashing or whatever) and they hand me new ones in the box. No tech-support BS. Same as I went through back with the early SwitchLinc X10 units. I suppose they know me a bit at this point. I've spent a few bucks there.

I have not had a single one that they wouldn't swap. They don't track the serial number (or unit ID) on the sale, so as long as my account shows that I've purchased at least one unit in the last year, that's the receipt / order they use to return against.

IF I could have just called up and expalined that a switch died and I would like to exchange it it would not have been that big of a deal that they died (other than its a PIA to replace a switch again and again). The HASSLE of spending an hour on average on the phone waiting for a tech then trying this and that etc only for them to end up agreeing that it dead etc (which was obvious since the LED light etc was out and the relay didnt click in one case). I wasted hundreds of dollars on switches that never linked or paddles did not work right etc. I wound up chucking them once I realized it was useless to call SH (and I accidently re-installed a bad one which really made my day).

SH shoots themselves in the foot. Some staff deny any product problems and others are more open and honest and tell you all kinds of "war stories". There is one guy in Customer Service that was extremely helpful but he seems to be the exception. And SmarthomeMike if you read this his initials are "JP". I think he is a supervisor and I hope he trains his staff to his level of assistance.

I've noticed that report from you and others, digger; that's why I think my Insteon experience is so different. I don't pretend that they're more reliable than anyone else's; but it isn't that big of a deal to replace a switch... or ten... for me.

My guess is that SmartHome's tech support has a lot of really low-level calls that they handle - "yes, that unit requires that you plug it into a wall before the flashy lights start working" - and are thus staffed appropriately.

Years ago, I used to have to call ahead to get an RMA; but once I found someone in the support group that was familiar with the SwitchLinc X10 gear - or ADI, or whatever - then they were really helpful.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's company policy so much as lack of knowledge on their part (most of them don't know anything about wiring a switch in) and being accustomed to dealing with folks MUCH less knowledgeable than you.

Or they're evil. Who knows? :huh:

Mike B, I've got one of those units on my nightstand and I just gave each of the kids one that controls their rooms, their bathroom, their hallway light and other stuff in their room. Fun, mostly. I think I'll add one to the livingroom soon as well. There's two MainLobby tablets there already, but it's really nice to have a dedicated device that's all ready to push a button to do as you ask.

BTW, that's what I expect the RemoteLinc to become eventually... but I'm not banking on it yet.

Nah, you're basically "on"; it's just much smaller and much more attractive, IMNSHO.

'Sides, it's really easy to replace the KeypadLinc in that box when it fails (compared to in a wall). :huh:

;)

The HASSLE of spending an hour on average on the phone waiting for a tech then trying this and that etc only for them to end up agreeing that it dead etc (which was obvious since the LED light etc was out and the relay didnt click in one case). I wasted hundreds of dollars on switches that never linked or paddles did not work right etc. I wound up chucking them once I realized it was useless to call SH (and I accidently re-installed a bad one which really made my day).

I just wanted to chime in and say that I've had to call Smarthome tech support probably 5 or 6 times, and the most I've waited on hold was 20 mins. I learned after the first call or 2 that it pays to do your basic troubleshooting before calling. Now if I had a switch that's bad, I would test it thoroughly, reset it to factory defaults, swap a paddle if applicable, and swap with another switch BEFORE I call them. I can tell you based on the past couple I replaced that if you do the troubleshooting beforehand, and explain what you've done, they'll swap it. If you haven't done your troubleshooting, why should they just replace it without knowing for sure there's a problem?

Next time you plan on chucking some switches, please drop me a PM and I'll happily pay you to ship them to me instead. :huh:

I'm not doubting your poor experience, but there are some of us that are very happy with Smarthome customer support.

Quality control on the other hand, I'm not so happy with. I feel I receive too many switches with issues out of the box. They need to do more stringent testing at the factory.

[/I just wanted to chime in and say that I've had to call Smarthome tech support probably 5 or 6 times, and the most I've waited on hold was 20 mins. I learned after the first call or 2 that it pays to do your basic troubleshooting before calling. Now if I had a switch that's bad, I would test it thoroughly, reset it to factory defaults, swap a paddle if applicable, and swap with another switch BEFORE I call them. I can tell you based on the past couple I replaced that if you do the troubleshooting beforehand, and explain what you've done, they'll swap it. If you haven't done your troubleshooting, why should they just replace it without knowing for sure there's a problem?
quote]

I HAVE troubleshooted BEFORE I call and they still insist on spending over a half hour trying everything they have on a checklist. I had a switch that died from a static discharge. I was the one that was turning on the switch and it died from the discharge. They had me turn on and off the circuit breaker, change the light bulb, check the wiring, and then asked me if I would put in a regular switch. I started telling them to jump in a lake and they conceded the switch was probably defective and they RMA'd it. It was a HASSLE for a switch that obviously died.

I had switches that did not link. I tried many many times. I replaced the one switch and they linked the first try. They wanted me to re-install the switch so I did and it didnt link. I called them back like they said and I got a different person who started ALL OVER with try this and that. I HUNG UP. That switch went to the garbage with a few others like it.

Another switch would not turn off. I noticed it at night. I had no choice but to replace it (with a regular one since I was out of Insteon at that time. I called SH a few days later and CS told me I had to talk to tech support. I told the guy NO WAY. I explained it to him again that I had tried everything reasonable when it happened and I wasnt going to install it again. He agreed and RMA'd it. He was actually a decent guy. He explained that they have rules to follow to capture as much customer feedback as possible. He also admited that there is a known problem with the switches no longer turniing on and off from the paddles.

Mike Boulanger said:
Quality control on the other hand, I'm not so happy with. I feel I receive too many switches with issues out of the box. They need to do more stringent testing at the factory.
Amen to that. :blink:

Digger said:
I HAVE troubleshooted BEFORE I call and they still insist on spending over a half hour trying everything they have on a checklist. I had a switch that died from a static discharge. I was the one that was turning on the switch and it died from the discharge. They had me turn on and off the circuit breaker, change the light bulb, check the wiring, and then asked me if I would put in a regular switch. I started telling them to jump in a lake and they conceded the switch was probably defective and they RMA'd it. It was a HASSLE for a switch that obviously died.

What? You're not familiar with:
Me: "Hang on... (sip of beer...) okay, I did that."
Support: "What! That fast?"
Me: "Yup. All the way out the breaker box then up to the attic and back in three seconds."
Support: "Now the light bulb."
Me: "Hang on... (mute... where's that beer...) okay, new bulb."
Me: "Listen, it'll probably take me about 30 seconds to replace all the wiring in my house if you ask for that... or you can RMA this thing. I got lots of patience and you're asking silly requests to which I'm giving silly replies. Your call."
Support: "Hang on... your RMA number is..."
I haven't had to do that with SmartHome, but it's never failed anywhere else.

I have not resorted to telling them to jump in a lake in a decade or two... but I never give up either. And I'm having a beer while they're working... I'm happy... and I get what I want. :p

Mike Boulanger said:
Amen to that. :blink:

Digger said:

What? You're not familiar with:
Me: "Hang on... (sip of beer...) okay, I did that."
Support: "What! That fast?"
Me: "Yup. All the way out the breaker box then up to the attic and back in three seconds."
Support: "Now the light bulb."
Me: "Hang on... (mute... where's that beer...) okay, new bulb."
Me: "Listen, it'll probably take me about 30 seconds to replace all the wiring in my house if you ask for that... or you can RMA this thing. I got lots of patience and you're asking silly requests to which I'm giving silly replies. Your call."
Support: "Hang on... your RMA number is..."
I haven't had to do that with SmartHome, but it's never failed anywhere else.

I have not resorted to telling them to jump in a lake in a decade or two... but I never give up either. And I'm having a beer while they're working... I'm happy... and I get what I want. :p

LOL.... Ok I will have a case of beer on standby for SH. If the guy is nice I will send him one to LOL

Back